Search:

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Consignment Advice

The last two mandolins I sold were through Kevin at Mando Mutt. Being a little over 2 hours down the road, he met me about halfway to pick them up. We picked a starting price and communicated if we...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Waverly Tuners tight on Ellis mandolin

Contact Tom.
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: A Style “Holy Grail?

love the one you're with.

f-d
  4. Thread: Michael Heiden

by tbaum
    Replies
    Views

Michael Heiden

After floundering around for a few years, I dipped into savings and bought a custom mandolin from Michael Heiden in 2017. Other specialty builders had wait times of at least a year, and he told me...
  5. Re: Heiden's....the most expensive modern mandolin builder?

And they are worth every penny. Simply amazing mandolins.
  6. Re: Heiden's....the most expensive modern mandolin builder?

Carter has just listed a Monteleone Grand Artist for $32.5k.
    Add another $7500 to that, and it will buy the nice old Gibson fern at Gruhn's.

Considering the price of cars these days, that doesn't...
  7. Re: What’s going on with low inventory of mandolins at shops?

Maybe it's just me, but I feel like when I purchased my first mandolin back in the early 2000s that there was a lot less to choose from at all price points. Both models and inventory. So it's all...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Ellis-Pava A modlels no longer being made?

Just call and ask.
  9. Re: I want to do an economic study of the careers of luthiers

Interesting topic.

Two thoughts crossed my mind. It comes down to artistry and the pursuit of perfection (and trying to get paid for it.) I think you would be surprised at how little luthiers...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Why not a domestic, hand built instrument instead?

You have to evaluate instruments on their individual merits, not by the company name or model number.

About 5 years ago, my friendly neighborhood music store had three used F models in stock. One...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Henderson mandolins

You are not the original owner, correct? I believe that mandolin was built for a well known old time performer in western NC.
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Jubal Mandola F style

William Smith points out this Jubal is not the same shape as a Gibson H5 mandola. Instead it looks like a scaled-up F5 shape. The few modern Gibson F-syle mandolas I have seen seem to follow this...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Pricing / value of instruments

Colin,
    Somebody recently asked the same question.
    The best advice given was to contact Stefan directly, he offers a "For sale" page on his site: https://www.sobellguitars.com/
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Campanella Mandolin

It’s so pleasing to see folks encounter unexpected situations and respond with decisive action. :)

I’m sure there’s a lesson here for all of us.:mandosmiley:
  15. Replies
    Views

Congratulations, Mary!
  16. Replies
    Views

Some of those are probably in my closet. Maybe we should talk sometime. :)
  17. Replies
    Views

Coffee and mandolins. Two best vices I can think of...
  18. Replies
    Views

I say "whatever suits you tickles me plum to death".

Enjoy the Campanella Mary, I have lusted for one for a long while. Fortunately I am happy with my Brentrup and Unicorn. Well and a couple...
  19. Re: Andy Irvine's Sobell instruments missing amid airport chaos

News from Andy this morning via FB: his instruments have returned home to him in Dublin!
  20. Re: Northfield mandolins - USA or China made?

Hi everyone. Thanks for all the inquiry and feedback. Like someone said in the thread, we’re always up for talking and we encourage people to write or call us directly. Happy to explain about how we...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Northfield mandolins - USA or China made?

Who cares??? An item as personal as a musical instrument should be evaluated on its own merits, regardless of its country of origin. If you were offered an original signed Loar (USA) or Stradivari...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Northfield mandolins - USA or China made?

Maybe for the best, most expensive mandolin mandolin they offer, they want their best people doing the final graduation, the sanding and the varnish work, and maybe, just maybe, they think the best...
  23. Re: Tell me your experiences with rechargeable tuners

Just a thought, what happens when you are out someplace, forgot to charge the tuner and the rechargable goes dead. At least with the battery one you can pop in a new battery
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Holding on to your personal Holy Grail mandolin

Yes I have found my personal Holy Grail mandolin. More than a few of them, actually.
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a picture of what's on your bench?

My latest
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4