Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: 3rd FFcP Fourths Exercise (theory question)

You are on course, and it will make more sense the more you use it. Might help to distinguish scale degrees from the quality of the scale degree. To make a 7-note scale of course you must use every...
  2. Re: Does the A vs F style price point even out eventually??

Others have tried to interpret or rephrase your statement; I'm not sure what it means either.

But one thing I know Collings and believe Ellis and Kimble and Dudenbostel also say is that they...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Rootless chords

I think the key to playing a chord in which you omit one voice is to always include the 3rd and 7th (guide tones)--these are the essential bones of the chord skeleton. In your example you added a...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Anybody bought instruments on Reverb?

"Disruptive" is a term of praise in the entrepreneurial/tech community!
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: What is this chord 6-4-0-0?

F# A C# E is F#min7, typically II, III, or VI chord in major key. And same notes re-ordered A C# E F# is Amaj6, I chord function, a bit more stable sounding than Imaj7.
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Northfield Airloom vs. Calton?

Jill, I have both, and a TKL Zero Gravity which I find superior to the Travelite in materials and design. I agree with Ivan that if I had just one case, it would be the TKL ZG (or Travelite). That is...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: NashCamp - Which mandolin should I take?

Arrive early, stop by Carter's and pick up a beater Loar. Kidding, I freak about taking my instruments out of the house. Have a blast with Matt!
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: IBMA nominees

You make great points and I respect your opinions.

But if IBMA is serving its members and community, that's bad? I guess we have a choice whether to join and belong, or not, or even participate...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Collings F Mandolin Case

You ask, Bill provides! Hangs perfectly.

Note three feet--can't wobble (as does my otherwise-terrific Austin C...n with four uneven rubber stubs).
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Collings F Mandolin Case

Aren't they amazing! My new Ellis came with one. The "standard" Collings vintage case fit OK, but an Ellis F5 is just a bit larger than a Collings for which the new case was designed, so Bill made a...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Shipping a mandolin--what box?

Do you wear your dress duct tape?
  12. Thread: Tuner

by MandoAblyss
    Replies
    Views

Re: Tuner

Unless you need to buy five at once, for some reason, or lose them frequently, dunno that price matters so much to me over 500hrs a year... I use the Peterson Stroboclip and clamp it on the bridge...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: tonguards ..do they really work?

I've had a Tone-Guard on two varnish Collings. After two years I took it off, anticipating a finish mess. Nope, not a sign it was ever there. And I'd consider the Collings finish to be somewhat...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Rookie question please

Also consider the position of your fingers in the chord before and the chord after, since a song rarely has a single chord : ). Your muscle memory will thank you for a fluent transition, even if the...
  15. Replies
    Views

Matt Flinner's On-Line Courses

Matt's 8-lesson course Fiddle Tune Harmony just wrapped, and I thought I'd tell anyone who missed out or is thinking of future courses (BG101, 102 and 103 coming up) how his program works.

First...
  16. Re: Is there such a thing as a "Mandolin Culture?"

As the cellist said in the David Wallace Berklee strings community video: I play mandolin. And I play music.

Thanks for that link!
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: If You Had A Gibson Lloyd Loar Mandolin

Play a Loar in public? Yeah, probably.

But peel the plastic off the pick guard -- now that is a step too far!!
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Blue Chip Recommendations please

Sorry, RH bevel on both sides all three corners, no engraving (blank) on both sides. With my OCD I found that with a stock pick I preferred the engraving under my thumb so I had to fuss with it after...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Favorite Thile Quotes?

I think Thile's Homespun video is the single best mandolin instructional product I've ever found--which he recorded at age 18 or 19. Humble yet confident, technically superb, smiling, gracious,...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Northfield "Airloom" Case Announced

Adrian demoed the Airloom case for me at Swannanoa last week. The aesthetic is "modern luggage" in a slim, insulated package with lots of storage. The dimensions are deliberately specified,...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Humidipak - WARNING

Boveda and D'Addario (Planet Waves) truly stand behind their humidity control product and have contacted me.

Turns out both the hygroscopic contents and outer membrane have been improved since I...
  22. Replies
    Views

Humidipak - WARNING

Humidipaks can leak, and may damage wood.

This morning I found a mess (see photo) on a shelf in my music room where I had stored about 20 Humidipak envelopes, some in the black cloth...
  23. Replies
    Views

Spiral-Bound

This is a simple cheap tip if you learn from lots of books like I do but are frustrated that they don't lie flat on your music stand even with a clip: Office Depot for about $3.50 will shave the...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Collings MT Alternatives

Could add a coupla things: First, the standard top on a Collings MT is Engelmann spruce; many other luthiers (in that price range) will use Adirondack/red spruce, or some less common top woods such...