Views

Re: Vibrações - Jacob do Bandolim

Another great version of this tune:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWXqlJ0Zydc

-David
  2. Replies
    Views

Ian Coury - Peghead Nation

I was surprised to read today that Ian Coury, one of my favorite young bandolim players from Brazil, has a new course on Peghead Nation ("Brazilian Choro Mandolin with Ian Coury). I am looking...
  3. Thread: Barbara

by DSDarr
    Replies
    Views

Re: Barbara

Probably my favorite tune from this incredible album. I bought it at Stu Herrick's "Folkstore" in Seattle back in the early 1980s, probably not long after it was released. It blew my mind... still...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Choro listening recommendations

Another favorite of mine is Marco Ruviaro, a Brazilian player currently living in Italy. He's equally incredible on mandolin and 7-string guitar. Here he is on 7-string guitar with Vitor Casagrande...
  5. Thread: Ian Coury

by DSDarr
    Replies
    Views

Ian Coury

Seeing this week's Mandolin Monday video with Ian Coury reminded me of two my favorite (relatively) recent youtube discoveries with Ian Coury playing two of my favorite K-Ximbinho pieces: "Ternura"...
  6. Replies
    Views

Emil Ernebro & Erik Igelström - Just Friends

Some nice playing here!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxqPg7Gnq7o
  7. Replies
    Views

Yay Tim! One of my favorite mandolin players and...

Yay Tim! One of my favorite mandolin players and teachers. Haven't see you up here in Seattle recently... come on up!

-David
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Question about minor scales

Mentioning Garrison Fewell reminds me of his guitar improv books. The titles are something like "Jazz Improv - A Harmonic Approach" and "Jazz Improv - A Melodic Approach". I had looked at the melodic...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Assanhado-No mandolin content

cavaquinho
  10. Re: 2016 Centrum Choro Workshop registration now open

Hi John,

It's held at Ft Worden in Port Townsend WA.

-David
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Noob question playing in different keys

Way to go Mark! Similar story for me by the way. My 5th grade (or was that 6th grade?) music teacher told me (in front of the class) that I should sing more quietly or not at all. Devastating in...
  12. Re: What's Your Favorite Instrumental-Mandolin Album?

Well, I have a lot of favorites that come in and out of rotation but currently I am getting a lot of mileage out of Don Stiernberg's "Swing 220". I never get tired of this one!

David
  13. Re: Visiting Seattle and Portland - what to see/do?

Unfortunately Fletcher is no longer in Seattle (as of at least 5 years ago). Too bad, his workshop used to be right across the street from where I work and he was a great resource and fun to visit....
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Gypsy Jazz Advice

p.s. I second the recommendation for "Getting into Gypsy Jazz Violin" by Martin Norgaard. Fantastic book.
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: 2015 Centrum Choro Ensemble Workshop

Thanks for posting that Al. It was great playing and meeting so many fine players and fine people at Centrum. I want to say that it was particularly a pleasure to meet and play with Jake Schepps, the...
  16. Replies
    Views

software for recording Skype lessons

I am planning on starting Skype lessons again soon and I'm looking for suggestions for software to record the lessons with. I would be using an iPad or a Windows PC (with Logitech webcam) --...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Wintergrass 2015

I liked Austin's 2 point a lot as well, probably my fave of his instruments, but he also had a really nice F5 that had just been strung up a week prior to Wintergrass that was going to be a winner...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin for Dummies, etc

Another good word for these books and Don Julin. I got to hang with a bit at Wintergrass and he's a fun, easy to approach kind of guy.

I have both of his books and they are both worth getting!...
  19. Thread: Trio Lampejo

by DSDarr
    Replies
    Views

Re: Trio Lampejo

Here's one -- this should bring up some links to others as well.

4CYs2Za0Mf0

David
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Choro "É uma doçura" - W. Azevedo

Obrigado Carlos!

Speaking of Waldir Azevedo and "Pedacinho do Céu", here is a version of this tune that I ran across recently that I really like.

-David

21. Thread: Jazz chords

by DSDarr
    Replies
    Views

Re: Jazz chords

Check out the errata for the book at http://jazzmando.com/errata_.shtml -- the Fm9 error is listed there among others!

-David
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Recommendation for Beginning Book

The book "Hal Leonard Mandolin Method" by Rich DelGrosso is very good too, and a mixture of styles. There is some tab at the very beginning to help with fingering but after that all of the music is...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: RIP Dave Brubeck...

Very nice Bruce, thanks for sharing!

-David
  24. Replies
    Views

free online improv class with Gary Burton

This looks like it could potentially be of interest to some here.....

Gary Burton is teaching a free course on Improvisation from Berkeley College of Music on Coursera:
  25. Re: Is there much point to an electric jazz mandolin?

Check out the second half of this Austin City Limits from 1980 with Johnny Gimble, Tiny Moore, and Jethro Burns for various combinations of electric and acoustic mando jazz.

8XoMn0687pE

-David...
Page 1 of 2 1 2