2. Replies
    Views

Re: Norman Blake is 86

Let's have some of Norman in his prime!

https://youtu.be/IA2CtM1B1Ak
  3. Replies
    Views

How to pack an instrument for shipping

Tony Williamson put this video together for a seller who had no experience shipping a valuable instrument. We thought it was well done and had great information that it should be available to all for...
  4. Re: What are some of the best Mandolins that you all have played?

Have mentioned this numerous times - my favorites are probably the Fern Dick Kimmel owned (which I believe is now in Germany) and the Lloyd LaPlant that was played by Bob Douglas. (Although every one...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: post a video of yourself

I wasn't intending to make a video to post here, however I made a video for my Facebook friends for St. Paddy's Day. It turned out well so I put it on Youtube, and so maybe I should post it here...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Norman Blake is 86

They are living as quietly as possible, and both doing quite well.
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Mendel octaves..

Thanks for posting the Joe Mendel vid Chuck, those are some nice chords on that octave, I really need to practice arpeggios in this style.
  8. Replies
    Views

Norman Blake is 86

I just read that Norman Blake turned 86 on 10th March, and I would like to wish him well.

I saw him play on my first trip to the USA in 1977, and have always enjoyed him ever since.

Thanks for...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Franks' Mandolin Kitchen

Here's some Blues. Thanks for the Listen!:mandosmiley:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vn0kMv95FTg
  10. Re: What are some of the best Mandolins that you all have played?

Being relatively close to Lowe Vintage and having taken a couple of trips to Carter's and Gruhn's, I've been able to get my hands on some good 'uns. I've played three Loars (two 1923s and a 1924). 2...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Gig Bag for Austin Clark OM's

Hi Ray. I have a very protective Calton to use when this instrument is traveling in any situation that think has even the slightest risk to it.Trust me, I'm extremely cautious with this instrument. ...
  12. Replies
    Views

Ladder in B-flat Major

This is one of my warm up exercises, recorded during hybrid-style-folksongs sessions in March 6, 2020.

1dMfTwkHH24

Toomas Rannu
    Flat-backed mandolin, crafted by Viljar Kuusk in 2008 (Tallinn,...
  13. Replies
    Views

The Crown at Portpatrick.
    It’s woodshed time, with a lovely mazurka written by Nigel Gatherer. (Portpatrick is in beautiful Scotland).

Here it’s 200 feet below the snow line near a little village...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Franks' Mandolin Kitchen

Here's a beautiful Scottish air on the A5 Special. Thanks for the Listen!~o)~o):mandosmiley::mandosmiley:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyNDR45EM44
  15. Replies
    Views

David Benedict's new dream mandolin

Pretty sweet......

TaPgDcXO3io
  16. Replies
    Views

Just in case you're hungry...

https://youtu.be/OmSFNptUi24?si=G1trnJAaUT0lVbJX
  17. Crossrock combination case for mandolin and violin

At $350-$420, these cases aren’t cheap (to me, at least, but then I’ve never bought $600-$2000 cases), but I’ve been wanting ONE case to carry both a mandolin and violin to jams or on trips. I was...
  18. Replies
    Views

Once Upon a Stormy Morning

Releasing my new album on Band Camp, all instrumental Mandolin ensemble music with an emphasis on Mandocello.

Once Upon a Stormy Morning

Here is the opening track via You tube

B3am4J5_fDI
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Lutherie as an art form

You mean like the guy that came up with this....

2a3-fIV9Pbc
  20. Replies
    Views

Quilted Maple Sky

Yesterday evening the sky over my house looked just like the quilted maple on the back of a mandolin. Snapped a quick pic and wanted to share.
    :grin:
  21. Red Wing: Creativity with Constraints Improv Exercise

I thought folks on this board might be interested in this video I made of the classic western swing fiddle tune Red Wing. I like exercises that force you to be creative within specific parameters - I...
  22. Replies
    Views

Here's a set of Irish jigs played on my Collings MT.

Sweet Biddy Daly, The Banks of Lough Gowna and Jackson's Jig. One or two bum notes but hey - there's a lot of notes!

23. Replies
    Views

Re: New OM on order

Happy to announce that my OM is complete. Here's the builder himself with a video he created a week before sending it across the pond -- certainly putting the instrument to better advantage than I...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Strings for OCTOLINDO S MODEL DELUXE?

If you like them twice as much, or the same and they'll last twice as long: yes. If neither: no. If both: H*** Yes!
  25. Re: Ordered a Northfield F5S, Received a Big Mon Wide Nut by Mist

If you do send it back, insist that they send you a call tag and they insure it. Most carrier insurance gets denied and you will be the one dealing with UPS/FedEx/USPS if it's insured in your name...
Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4