Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: One tip that changed everything

Learning to control tremolo and do it by count has helped me take a big leap forward. It cleaned up my playing a whole lot! I'm not sure who to thank. Various people on various threads on the Cafe I...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Happy 70th Birthday, David Grisman

Happy Birthday, David! What an amazing journey you have had, please continue!
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Why I Don't Listen To Country Music.

I go back to the mid-40's listening to Country music; listening to my Grandmother's Gene Autry and Hank Snow 78's when I was barely out of diapers. I lament the condition of Country music today for...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Who's The Oldest?

Seventy three.
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: When Deals aren't Deals

Agreed and agreed. Greed!
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: VIDEO: Nickel Creek : Toxic

Why can't some people on this forum let you just "not prefer" Chris Thile's music? You have to love him or hate him. There seems to be some posters who just can't wait for the "Thile Haters" to begin...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Speak Softly Love - mandolin and guitar

Nice job! I love the tone of your mandolin!
  8. Re: Is it wrong to correct a poster's spelling or grammar?

Poor grammar or spelling bothers me sometimes......and sometimes not. As posted above, this is a mandolin forum so as long as I can understand what the poster meant I'm okay. It's interesting to me...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Cheap/low-end mandolins...

Some people are for sure. I know a guy who comes to a jam with a mandolin, tenor banjo, tenor guitar and six string guitar. They are all of "Kentucky 150" variety. Good, solid instruments but nothing...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Could Bill Monroe Read Music??

I'm like Willie and AlanN. I played non-pedal steel for a singer for years back in the late 60's until around 1980. He hated to rehearse.
    If he had a new tune no matter if I'd heard it or not, he...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Opinions on Sam Bush Monel Strings

I use them exclusively on my current mandolin. I love the tone, and they last forever.......at least for me they do.
  12. Re: VIDEO: US Navy Band Country Current - Missouri

Well, I did four quite a few years ago and I know what "the Navy is like". Just for the record the mandolin player has four hash marks so he has at least sixteen years service so his base pay is at...
  13. Re: The next Loar, pre-CBS Strat, '59 LP, pre-war D-28?

"There is always a market for quality". That old saying is my take on it. If I was in my 20's I'd try and buy the best Gil, Dude, Nugget, etc. that I could afford and leave it at that. I'd have a...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Bury me beneath the willow lyrics

I think is a pretty common practice for men or women to use the opposite gender in a song if they take it from someone who did it that way. I have heard dozens of singers at jams, festivals, etc. do...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Ricky Skaggs on Bill Monroes playing style

He was. But how much of an influence is always the question. As far as Berry goes I here a LOT more Tbone Walker than I do Bill Monroe. Berry Loved Jimmie Rodgers and knew all his Blue yodels by...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Skip Kelley, Ed Dodson, and Jim Conard

Nice job, Skip, very enjoyable! That mandolin sounds great!
  17. Re: All you mando pickers can make fun of me now

Love the instrument! I played one for years and only quit because of medical issues. Banjos are fun to play! I never minded practicing the banjo. Have fun!:)
  18. Re: Music criticism has degenerated into lifestyle reporting

I agree with Allen. These days you can find the media you are looking for. And that goes for music criticism as well as about any other subject. I have no idea where to look as it isn't a subject I'm...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Coping strategies and awareness.

I have a focal dystonia in my right arm and hand which happened in the late 70's. As a result I can't do the up/down flatpicking technique. It also gives me problems with finger picking my lap steel....
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Poor English in Ads

Using poor English along with poor spelling in an ad does make a difference to me. Maybe it shouldn't but it does. It's a knee jerk thing. There is an implied laziness or maybe shoddiness that makes...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: How Often Do You Change Your Strings?

I use Monels and change them once a year. The new ones sound some better but the old ones still sound pretty good.
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: In Case humidifiers

Another plastic film canister user here. I've used them since the 70's and have never had a problem.
  23. Re: Why are Loar era Gibson A types such a good deal?

I agree and I agree. I think the "Loar Era" A's are way overpriced and the teens A's are the bargains and I had a snakehead for a couple years and I don't recall it sounding anything like an F5, in...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Trading/Buying DOWN for a better sound

Mine cost $1295 used. I'll bet there are $800 mandolins that sound better and $1800 mandolins that don't sound as good and I think you'll find that all the way up and down the price scale. That's one...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Good starter Bill Monroe Album

"The High Lonesome Sound" is my favorite and I would recommend having it but I wouldn't recommend it as a first album if you aren't familiar with Bill. You would have to get it on vinyl. One of the...
Page 1 of 2 1 2