Search:

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: "Opening Up With Time"

I touched on this in one of these threads but I'll proceed here. We have contentions that an instrument's acoustic properties ('sound') change 1) over the course of days (if new) or 2) over years,...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Beginners Thoughts

Yes, it's still exciting after since forever playing string instruments. Over a half-century (intermittently) on mountain dulcimer but finding new fingerings for SURF CITY still knocks me out. Almost...
  3. Replies
    Views

Quite. Flexing fingers really opens-up the sound.

There's also the matter of changing environments. Does the instrument feel more 'open' when playing in large or small spaces, or with reflective...
  4. Re: How a mandolin changes with age? New vs middle age

I have no doubt woods change over time. But the questions are:

* How do various instrument-making woods change?
    * What are the changes of woods in different environments, different humidities,...
  5. Re: How a mandolin changes with age? New vs middle age

To be comprehensive, since all woods are not the same, we need a set of boxes made of veneers of spruce, maple, koa, redwood, et al. A further experiment would double the number of boxes, half of...
  6. Replies
    Views

I suspect analyzing constructed instruments over time would be NP-complex i.e. it ain't gonna happen. It *would* be possible to acoustically analyze representative samples of commonly-used woods over...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Sweet Spot on the Mandolin Fret Board

If you like the strings there is no need to change them unless you want to experiment. As for a "sweet spot" -- it depends. You get the richest / deepest tone by picking midway between the bridge and...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Improving an instrument

I polished the poop on my cheap but decent Rogue RM-100A by installing D'Addario FT74 FlatTops (semi-flat PB) which the local music shop had on clearance, marked down from US$24 to five bucks per set...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Just like fire would.

Everything used to be artisanal. Everything. If something was made it was made by hand because The Machine Age had not yet arrived. Everything was custom-crafted. Interchangeable parts didn't. Didn't...
  10. Thread: blues tunning

by k0k0peli
    Replies
    Views

Re: blues tunning

No, you need not retune from standard to play blues. But to accompany the common guitar blues key of E puts a standard mandolin into rather a high voice range. I get a more 'gutsy' sound by tuning...
  11. Thread: Oval or ff?

by k0k0peli
    Replies
    Views

Re: Oval or ff?

If I'm sitting around the house playing (which is most of the time) I prefer the mellowness of my three ovals (Celtic, flattop, and mandola) to the sharpness of my three ff-holes (an F2 and two...
  12. Re: Learning on a High Action or Low Action Stringed Instrument.

Learn on instruments that are setup to feel RIGHT for you, not DIFFICULT. Yes, injury is a possibility. Standard tuning with high action is usually desired by experienced pros for banjo-killing...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin pricing

I would never buy a pricey instrument based solely on recommendations but I haven't the disposable cash to shop thusly online. I play various instruments in shops; if one sings to me, I ask the price...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Facing evacuation

UPDATE (Final): It's over. We have unloaded the wagons. We are not unpacked yet -- that will take a while, with a re-ordering of what was where. (We will grab any excuse for that. It is an old...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: What are Bandolones?

As with guitars, many different instruments are called cuatros.

The Venezuelan 4-string is probably the original -- like an oversized baritone 'uke (around 18-inch scale) with a characteristic...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Don Henley goes country

One could claim that country-rock began with Johnny Cash's thumping cover of It Ain't Me, Babe -- 1965 IIRC, about the time We Five invented folk-rock with You Were On My Mind. Or maybe the first...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: I guess I'm a mandolin player

Whether I'm tuned in Eye-talian GDAE or Irish GDAD I tend to play partial single- and double- and triple-stopped chords with open strings vibrating. A high open string is 'singing'; a low string is...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Don Henley goes country

At my sister's near Flagstaff AZ a couple of months ago I saw bits and pieces of the DVD interrupted by conversation and a leaping dog. I recall that Henley and Frey paid themselves more because they...
  19. Re: Is this a left handed Mandolin, or are the Strings wrong?

And on my Lunacharsky (Soviet) flattop mandolin. That sucker was a nightmare to string. It looks so straightforward, hey? But three or four hands ARE needed to achieve anything. I need to grow...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin + fiddle = ???

Reminds me of two steeet marimba players I heard in the Yucatan. (Tulum, Quintana Roo.) They came up to our sidewalk eatery and played, each with a small marimba, in tight unison. One's marimba was...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: What are Bandolones?

Oh yeah, I almost forgot my tiple. It's still packed for evacuation and not right in my view and if I don't see it I don't remember it and... Anyway, it differs because its standard tuning...
  22. Replies
    Views

Well, I hope it has been better for y'all than a reality TV show. ;)

My posts here (and on Ukulele Underground) started as a reflection of how I would deal with my many instruments viz the fire....
  23. Replies
    Views

UPDATE: Warmer and drier today, air smells good, and the winds are not blowing in our direction. Good. The fire's northeast corner (nearest us) is still hot and dangerous; the eastern (uphill) edge...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: When can one rename a tune?

As a PS to my last post, I just looked up IN THE MOOD and found that it derived from Fletcher Henderson's HOT AND ANXIOUS which derived from Wingy Wanone's TAR PAPER STOMP which also spawned Joe...
  25. Replies
    Views

UPDATE: We are back from town. This all started one week ago. We drove from the big-box-stores area over a ridge into the valley containing the county seat and saw across town a plume of smoke rising...
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4