Search:

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: "Opening Up With Time"

Well put. If the change can't be measured let it be and let's get on playing our instruments. I have noticed more changes in tone moving from one room to the next and when environmental conditions...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: What the pros play?

A true banjo killer. Really.
  3. Replies
    Views

The moderators get paid by the number of words we read. This thread is going to send us to Hawaii on vacation. By all means, carry on.
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: What the pros play?

I can't believe no one has said it has a great chop.
  5. Replies
    Views

Not a bad protocol, actually. But this basic experiment, or at least one that's VERY similar to it, has already been carried out with guitars, and peer-reviewed, and published! The experimenters used...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Beginners Thoughts

Wait a minute . . . there are ten notes?!??!
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Going pro?

Growing up with pro parents saved me from even starting to dream.
  8. Replies
    Views

One of the confounding factors is that conscientious owners have a habit of adjusting things to compensate for changes in the instrument. And the manual changes are always in the direction of...
  9. Replies
    Views

Aaagh. Well, the reason this is "unstated" is because none of us have said that wood doesn't change over time! You are ascribing to us things we did not say! So it is not an assumption. I think you...
  10. Replies
    Views

This always pops into my head when this discussion comes around.
  11. Replies
    Views

In science, the number one commandment when beginning work in a new (to you) area is "Thou shalt exhaustively survey the literature, lest thy make a fool of thyself". I see no evidence from what has...
  12. Replies
    Views

Major loss of hemicellulose in wood is usually associated with the pyrolysis of wood at temperatures of 473 K (200 deg C). It may also be lost through fungal degradation of wood as part of wood...
  13. Replies
    Views

@Explorer, didn't you cover all or most of that in post #14 & 18 here already?

Has anyone at all here denied that evidence of hemicellulose evaporation does not exist? Has anyone denied that...
  14. Replies
    Views

I am so totally confused that I don't even remember what side I am on any more. Were we talking about picks?
  15. Re: How a mandolin changes with age? New vs middle age

As they say, extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. It's not up to me to prove that Bigfoot doesn't exist.
  16. Replies
    Views

So, it did open up.
  17. Replies
    Views

Egad! As I wrote earlier, there's no possibility of holding a rational discussion with someone who embraces the irrational. Not only can a meeting of the minds never occur, but there's not even a...
  18. Replies
    Views

I think that was Keith Richards.
  19. Replies
    Views

Now we're getting to my favorite part of these conversations. They always get to this point. Years ago we had a member that bought an inexpensive mandolin and then put it in front of his stereo...
  20. Replies
    Views

I like how my turntable, amp and speakers open up over time by playing mamdolin ricords...
  21. Re: How a mandolin changes with age? New vs middle age

A blind sound test between a cheap and an expensive instrument would result in far more surprises than all this talk of an instrument opening up. In another thread I posted a Youtube link regarding a...
  22. Replies
    Views

I don't think any of the "believers" have even defined what "opening up" is (or maybe I've missed it). What is it that you think is changing about a period of time? Does it get louder, a warmer tone,...
  23. Replies
    Views

If you regard mysticism as being something beyond our reach, then you are standing on a shaky stool called "scientific understanding". It sounds strange, but if it's beyond reach, then you have...
  24. Replies
    Views

Sorry, but the document you cited from Henry Strobel's website is an English translation of a "vanity piece" by von Reumont, and it is not peer-reviewed science. Sections of von Reumont's piece were...
  25. Re: How a mandolin changes with age? New vs middle age

The properties of sound are can be measured in a number of ways (acoustics), and there is also knowledge of human auditory perception and it's limitations (psychoacoustics), so an experiment could...
Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4