Search:

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Thread: Pig Jicking?

by Jim Bevan
    Replies
    Views

Re: Pig Jicking?

Please allow me to go "black and white" for one post. :)

I've played with guitarists, banjoists, bouzouki-ists and mandolinists who played DUDDUD and sounded "right", I've played with those who...
  2. Thread: Pig Jicking?

by ampyjoe
    Replies
    Views

Here's an attempt to illustrate the difference between DUDDUD and DUDUDU.

It's NOT a fair example, as I use DUDDUD mostly for jigs and therefore I'm better at playing that way. But I think it does...
  3. Thread: Pig Jicking?

by Bren
    Replies
    Views

Interesting, Max.
    I played in a couple of sessions in Ireland in 2019 and in each, someone asked if I played in a dance band.
    I didn't realise it was that obvious and I was wondering if they...
  4. Thread: Pig Jicking?

by maxr
    Replies
    Views

I played fiddle in Scottish dance bands in UK for years. The usual way to play jigs in one of those bands is to swing them - syncopate with the 1st note of every group lengthened, the second...
  5. Replies
    Views

In classical music written in 6/8 DUDUDU makes sense usually. For jigs in Irish music, see above posts for proper accents.
  6. Thread: Pig Jicking?

by Jim Bevan
    Replies
    Views

Accent the last note of each group of three: DUDDUD|DUDDUD

(delaying the U's a little while you're at it, to get that IT jig swing.)

Try playing chords this way (like the DADGAD guys do) —...
  7. Replies
    Views

I'm still essentially a beginner/novice mandolin player but I struggled with DUD DUD at first.(Although I was decent at alternate picking) It was absolutely painful trying to play a Jig as I would...
  8. Replies
    Views

There is a ton of discussion on how to flatpick jigs in the Celtic etc. sub forum here if you want to dive into it.

My personal take on it, is that DUD, DUD pattern is useful for beginners who...
  9. Replies
    Views

Well, it sounds different 😁
  10. Replies
    Views

TablEdit is back!

Mandozine was hosting a wonderful collection of TablEdit files for mandolin, but as you are probably aware it has not been reliable lately. The site went offline at the beginning of 2019, was...
  11. Re: Rest Strokes - a means to an end, or part of regular techniqu

There's a book by German classical mandolinist Gertrud Tröster (now Weyhofen) called Technique on eight Strings.
    Two ways of using a pick are introduced:
    1. The slanted pick, where on the...
  12. Re: Rest Strokes - a means to an end, or part of regular techniqu

In this video, you can see clearly what Tim talks about. For slow melodic playing Jeanette Mozos del Campo uses rest strokes with an angled pick, resulting in a more mellow tone. But for playing...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Kudos to our administrators and moderators

I also want to thank the moderators and administrators for creating and maintaining a site that is helpful, friendly and interesting. It's a thankless job to maintain such a positive atmosphere. I...
  14. Replies
    Views

Kudos to our administrators and moderators

The administrators and moderators of fora like this have a thankless job. They have to deal with all of the difficult people in the community. And no matter what call they make in a difficult case,...
  15. Re: While nonmusicians post "You're not hungry, you're bored"...

Heady, nothing will slow down your mando adventures more than a bad instrument that has a bad setup and is difficult to play.
    After investing in a good instrument, it’s great to realize “Well, the...
  16. Re: While nonmusicians post "You're not hungry, you're bored"...

I was figuring I should buy my wife a new laptop to ease my guilt when I buy a new mando.
  17. Re: While nonmusicians post "You're not hungry, you're bored"...

Heady: If it's in the budget, do it. A nicely set up KM-272 will bring you more joy than Covid-19, hurricane season, another election cycle and the Walmart mandolin you've been playing. These really...
  18. Re: I have read other threads and i am still confused- newbie man

Hi Kate, welcome to the madness! :mandosmiley:

I'd also point out that there's a great, active Newbies social group that can answer a bunch of your questions as well (go to Listen/Learn at the...
  19. Re: While nonmusicians post "You're not hungry, you're bored"...

Sorry to be yet another devil on your shoulder (or angel depending on how you look at it), but I also support the others. And in my experience once mandolins start jumping into shopping carts, it's...
  20. Re: What did we play on Mandolins 100 years ago in the USA?

Here is a quick and dirty search of OCLC's WorldCat database (a library of library catalogs) for musical scores, keyword "mandolin," published between 1900-1920. There are over 5000 results, with...
  21. Re: What did we play on Mandolins 100 years ago in the USA?

Thanks, Mark, for point to the underutilized Library of Congress. I go to the Library every Friday (past few weeks excepted) to volunteer cataloging mandolin sheet music from the 1890-1920 heyday. ...
  22. Re: What did we play on Mandolins 100 years ago in the USA?

Library of Congress. Here's some from 1910-1915, just browse around in there for other dates between 1800-1922.
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: help me build a pick set

Update time:

I got in several varieties (see pic) and I've got some first impressions. Just my opinion and experience, of course!

For what it's worth, I sourced the wegens, the bc, and the...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Mastering a New Skill

Many years ago I was at a career crossroads. I needed income so I took a gig that involved a lot of computer programming. People had been telling me how technical and difficult it was. After about...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Mastering a New Skill

There seems to be something biological there also. It happens in animals , such as birds, in controlled lab experiments. The most striking example in humans is the development of absolute pitch. ...
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4