Search:

Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Partita Americana

I have been enjoying the new Sam 'n Ash CD immensely so I searched Ashely Broder on Apple music and found this delightful album, Partita Americana, that came out in 2019. This YouTube video should...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: What's your new fiddle tune?

The fiddler is Rhys Jones (not David) and on his recording Starry Crown. I would guess he wrote the tune but I don’t own that recording. Did you find it on YouTube?

https://youtu.be/Q9xymWI7wgY
  3. Replies
    Views

Stolen mandolin recovered!

Hi all,

I just wanted to share a very happy story with you, and it's really only happy because of the help of this wonderful community here on Mandolin Cafe!

Earlier last year our shop was...
  4. Replies
    Views

3-Part Chris Thile Master Class online

This just announced.
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandocello "strum along" chords

Bernie, ya got me to thinking. I've done pretty much the same thing with a chord chart for M'cello and M'dola except I incorporated the shapes for Mando as well. The black labels at the top of each...
  6. Replies
    Views

Mandocellos at CMSA

I invite my bass clef buddies to join CMSA and register for the Convention in the Clouds, November 13-15. Along with numerous mandolin centered workshops, concerts and meet-ups, we will have liuto...
  7. Re: MP3 page addition - Kat Wallace and David Sasso, Omega

This is a great album that deserves some attention!

8. MP3 page addition - Kat Wallace and David Sasso, Omega

A new audio file has been added to the Mandolin Cafe MP3 page and podcast.

Song title: Omega
    By: Kat Wallace and David Sasso
    From the recording: Stuff of Stars
    Hear it on the Mandolin Cafe MP3...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Namm 2019

The Gibson electric on the left is the F-5GEM Electric Mandolin in figured Maple, Sweet Tea.

Semi-hollow F-5G with a powerful custom pickup (their words)
    Highly figured Maple adorns the top and...
  10. Thread: Namm 2019

by Jim Garber
    Replies
    Views

I met her and talked to her for a few minutes at the Woodstock Invitational Luthier show last fall. We had a nice talk, but she sold the one mandolin she was about to bring there. Too bad. There were...
  11. Replies
    Views

Quick visit with uber talented archtop guitar builder Maegan Wells who has branched lightly into a few mandolins. This was her first satin finish mandolin and it was a real work of art, as are her...
  12. Replies
    Views

There was a question about the tailpiece on the new Waterloo mandolins. It's one piece, strings attached, and manufactured by Collings specifically for this model.

13. Replies
    Views

Got to play the gorgeous and killer sounding Weber Yellowstone that will be given away to one lucky person selected at random Sunday at 4:00 p.m. Pacific Time. Great stuff going on at the Weber...
  14. Thread: Namm 2019

by G. Fisher
    Replies
    Views

I don't think you can make a fair assessment of the mandolin from a low resolution picture taken at an angle and posted on a website.
  15. Replies
    Views

Info from Adrian on the new mandolin. I don't state things like this lightly, and you shouldn't listen to me because it's obvious I have a long-term relationship with Northfield both as a friend and...
  16. Replies
    Views

Had the annual Northfield/Mandolin Cafe taqueria extravaganza and unofficial State of the Mandolin Union meeting last night at a location we refuse to disclose, blew close to $30 on a gut busting...
  17. Replies
    Views

Folks we ran into today: Dennis from The Mandolin Store, the entire Weber team, Collings team, Schertler (Dave, new U.S. Sales Manager), Christie and Walter Carter, Cathy Pelosi and Tom & Walter...
  18. Replies
    Views

Namm 2019

Couple of surprises to start out the show. Just arrived so haven't had a lot of time to prepare much to report but for starters:

The new Waterloo (from Collings) flat top mandolins to match their...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Stereo mic question-Avantone ck40

Just as an aside, I have not been totally impressed by the QC of Avantone stuff. Quite variable... several of their models seem like paint jobs of generic (much cheaper) Chinese mics... The Audio...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Why old time and bluegrass are not the same.

Charlie, go beyond the soundtrack - as I mentioned in an earlier post, something to the effect that you will recognize many of the musicians and will have had no idea of their deep Native American...
  21. Replies
    Views

Not Bluegrass.
    Not Old Time.

"Julie": by Rhiannon Giddens of Occaneechi descent

tYuqnUs9gP8

"Great Grandpa's Banjo": Pura Fe (Tuscarora) & Rhiannon Giddens (Occaneechi)

bOZf8gtpQJw
  22. Replies
    Views

I have to disagree with that. Nothing is "dying out" and being replaced by free-form sessions and jams in my part of the USA, anyway. Maybe you're just located too close to Berklee? Too many young,...
  23. Replies
    Views

Hi Charlie, I haven't read any scholarly studies, but it is a field of interest to me, so I do hope to find time to delve into it more. There is the evidentiary problem of studying a culture that was...
  24. Replies
    Views

That is by no means typical Metis fiddling, but artfully arranged traditional Metis music, as when a fiddler suffers through the process of playing with a symphony orchestra. (Sigh, it isn't easy for...
  25. Replies
    Views

They were indeed professional musicians and entertainers. As were the BG boys, F and S, etc.

https://www.flatpickerhangout.com/archive/5341

"describes the techniques in the book as taken...
Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4