Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Would I be happier with a ‘20s Gibson F4?

Different strings on the Collings may help. Monel or nickel, along with silk and steel come to mind.

Can’t argue with buying another mandolin though:mandosmiley:
  2. Replies
    Views

Sierra playing a Goldtone mandocello

Well you may have seen me attempt to play on a Goldtone mandocello, here is the real deal.

nR_VjBJOP4A
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: New Mandolindo by KR Strings

Wahoo, the Octolindo OM has arrived! It's gorgeous!

Yes, as mentioned in the previous thread, without a "Florida" extension, a bracket would most likely be needed to stabilize the pickguard. ...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: New Mandolindo by KR Strings

Looks fantastic! Can't wait to hear the sound samples!

But what makes this an octolindo as opposed to an octave mandolin?
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Slow, sweet songs

You can take John Reischman's online Melodic Mandolin Tunes course on Peghead Nation which provides the sheet music in tab and standard notation, and he'll also teach you to play it :mandosmiley:. ...
  6. Thread: Slow, sweet songs

by maxr
    Replies
    Views

Re: Slow, sweet songs

I'd add to that Neil Gow's Lament for his brother Donald, it's less know but I think just as good. I think Donald was Neil's cellist, and Neil nearly gave up performing when he died.
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Octolindo on the way!

I'm guessing that you're referring to the Mandolindo which looks like with some minor retuning would make a nice cavaquinho. The guitar shaped 8 string arch top octave mandolin offered up as an...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: New NMD - Collings

Wish something like that had been my first mandolin! Have all the fun that mandolin deserves!
  9. Replies
    Views

What a beautiful mando! Congrats! I just recently started my search for my next mando and I'm definitely going to add the MF model to the list.
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Octave Mandolin advice

i remember wanting every mandolin family instrument. The mandola was well made and good sounding for a mandola, which was the problem - it wasn't different enough from the mandolin and the overall...
  11. Replies
    Views

I used to have an Eastman MDO305 & now play a Weber Gallatin OM which I really like. I don't think traditional OM tone vs GBOMs make them comparable though. To be fair, I'm actively looking at...
  12. Replies
    Views

I got a Northfield flat top just a few weeks ago and I really like it so far. It's kind of guitary sounding with the flat top and oval hole and if you were playing it with others it might well sound...
  13. Replies
    Views

I had a Pono, ended up selling it. Just didn't feel right. Now I play baritone ukes tuned GDAE. (One has all-metal strings.) GDAE tenor guitars are another option.

In my experience,...
  14. Replies
    Views

Slight correction, Weber made them. Weber is not making any mando family instruments at the moment (and I suspect they won't be for the foreseeable future). This used Weber Bighorn Octave just popped...
  15. Re: F5 Upgrade Guidance - Gibson, Collings, Northfield

Gruhn Guitars is the exclusive distributor for Newson mandolins. Keep an eye on Gruhn's website. They usually sell within a week or two of when they are delivered and listed, so you have to be...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: New Eastman Gig Bag

A couple of years ago I bought a Levy's mandolin gig bag. It's really well made and fits my mandolin with tone guard and strap and arm rest. If the Eastman doesn't work for you, you might want to...
  17. Thread: Bag or case

by KEB
    Replies
    Views

Re: Bag or case

I got a Gator gig bag for Christamas and it's great. I use a toneguard and strap in it no problem (a-style, but don't see how an F would mess that up. The bag is much more sturdy than the...
  18. Replies
    Views

I recently got a Travelite, and with my Eastman and Tone-Gard, it's tight. Reviews on that case with Tone-Gard are mixed on this forum - seems to depend on the mandolin. I'm not wild about the feel...
  19. Replies
    Views

The strap has to come off but at least will fit in the compartment. A LOT of these cases have a compartment too small or too narrow to fit either strap or a set of strings. My Travelite fits both, so...
  20. Replies
    Views

I appreciate your attempt to introduce specificity into a thread right from the start. I wish you well in this endeavor. The thread title is a bit more inclusive, which invites chatterboxes (like me)...
  21. Thread: Bag or case

by Eric Platt
    Replies
    Views

Don't believe the Collings TKL will be able to handle both. On my MT the strap has to come off before going in the case. It does fit with the Tonegard.

On a Travelite case the strap also has to...
  22. Thread: Bag or case

by Jim Garber
    Replies
    Views

I have my Campanella in a TKL case with the Tone Guard and it fits fine but no strap. OTOH I don't trust a gig bag to protect my mandolin enough. All my good instruments are in hardshell cases. No...
  23. Does your mando need a setup? Learn to do it yourself!

Hi there, mandolin lovers. Many moons ago I wrote an ebook on how to set up a mandolin. Mandolins are finicky little beasts and very slight adjustments can make a very big difference. I've been...
  24. Replies
    Views

That's one pretty gitfiddle you have there sir! :)
  25. Replies
    Views

Wow. A great first mandolin.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3