Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: THAT Freddie Green tone

I second everything Don said! It really is about touch. Though if we're really talking about FREDDIE SOUND specifically (as opposed to the other equally great rhythm guitarists), I suppose an...
  2. Re: It’s official. Going on tour is not fun. (TicketMaster etc.)

50% driving, 30% hanging round, 29% sleep, 1% having fun (actually playing!).

Typical load in is 5pm, 7pm sound check, 9pm start gig and by midnight one very hungry and tired looking band are...
  3. Re: violin buying question to you trusted cafe goers (NMC)

Many people start at 65. Some even become good. When you take up an instrument late, you don't have the pressure of trying to be a brilliant player. Have fun.

Fiddlers don't talk about brands in...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Anyone busk with their mandolin?

Nashville in the 90's, that's when I came here. Busked down on 2nd Ave when there was a great street scene for locals visiting all the second hand stores and there were crafts people, artisans, and...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Bourgeois Mandolins!

Comes the Revolution, Bourgeois mandolins will be replaced by Proletarian mandolins. Only available in one style, ten-year wait for delivery, made from sturdy peasant materials.

Pickers of the...
  6. Replies
    Views

On the Bus with Bill Monroe by Mark Hembree

Excerpt from "On The Bus" by Mark Hembree

Crossing the Canadian Border

When American musicians cross into Canada, sometimes—not every time—they have to declare their instruments and equipment...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: How My Life Was Changed

Last section: I love his notation at the end… “Don’t forget to have fun”. I know a lot of the li is will not work but you get a lot of wisdom here. Someone should resurrect his site although I am...
  8. Replies
    Views

LEFT HAND CONSIDERATIONS FOR ALL
    Whether you subscribe to the classical ideal of keeping the thumb on the back of the neck, never looping around the fingerboard, or go for the blues/rock big vibrato...
  9. Replies
    Views

RIGHT HAND CONSIDERATIONS FOR FINGERSTYLE
    There are many schools of thought on fingerstyle guitar. The world of classical guitar has it's own set of practices and dogmas, all worth considering for...
  10. Replies
    Views

I found his techtips page from 2005 in the WayBack machine. Here is the first section:

RIGHT HAND CONSIDERATIONS FOR FLATPICKING:

The right hand makes the instrument speak, so you can...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Where are all the (new) mandolins?

We are seeing what happens when you depend on a single manufacturing point, for a global market. Your manufacturing in the far East, then shipping half way across the planet, you have multiple ...
  12. Re: Was the mandolin played in traditional folk before Bill Monro

I think the real take away here is to always respect the jam. Even if it is not historically accurate, or not traditional enough, even if it is some weird hybrid of old time and bluegrass and...