Search:

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: What are the chances that a moderately-priced mandolin sounds

Just speaking generally we live in a golden age of instrument manufacturing so there’s a very good chance that a cheap instrument would sound great. I have a few of them.
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Oldest L-5! Lloyd Loar Signature!Analysis

What a lovely instrument!
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Picks for arthritis

V picks make a really thick pick 8.5 mm. You don’t have to hold it so tightly. Pricey, but you only need one and if it solves your isssue, then I’d venture to suggest it’s worth it?

No...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: How do you play “split” beat

Sam Bush's octave technique does this. You can sort of hear the 'click' of the muted strings, but that gives a bit more to the notes.

Wes Montgomery on guitar, likely where Sam evolved from did...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Happy Birthday Mike Compton!!

Wishing him the best birthday from probably the worst student he ever had.
  6. Re: Jam Etiquette / Rules Question - Should songs be banned

There are over 1300 genres. How many of them are jargon, marketing and bs, I don’t know, but I’d guess somewhere around 1285. Wagon wheel is not overplayed here in Aus. I get a bit annoyed at...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Mando (and why to quit callin it that...)g

I love the mandolin on ‘ doubting my ethical and spiritual ritualistic practice.'
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Love for Ovals

The f style oval hole is something isn’t it? Just beautiful.
  9. Re: Convince me of the value of strict DUDU picking?

You’re wrong. It has been that way since before YouTube. Granted it may not sound better, but it’s easier to get the rhyth,m right, particularly if you’re new to the form. Or if you’re out of...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Oval vs F holes

On the old jazzmando site, Ted Eschliman gave the best comparison description I’ve read. I’ve linked it below.

https://jazzmando.com/tips/archives/000141.shtml
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Using a capo with a mandolin?

Rule 1 of music: No Pain is No Pain. (play ergonomically)
    Rule 2 - we play music, not work it.
    Rule 3 - if it sounds good it is good.

Use a capo if you want. I don't but that usually because...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Love for Ovals

I have two ovals - an Epiphone masterbilt mm40l and a Washburn M1. For blues, Irish and Italian and jazz and folk they are superb. The F holes can do some of those well, but like the ovals don’t do...
  13. The Airline lost my mandolin! (Good news ending though)

Last week, I flew home to regional NSW to care for my ailing father. (87, various health issues... it's a thing. I think my sister and I are just grateful for however much time we have left with...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Flat top for blues?

The cruddy instruments a lot of the blues guys used, particularly in the early days, would shock a lot of you. Sure, B B and muddy used nice Gibson and fenders. But look at hound dog Taylor. It took...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Opinions of the Washburn M1SDL A-Style?

I bought mine at Sam ash in Nashville. It needed some fret work - I think it had been hanging there a fairly long time - but I find it a great mandolin.

The oval vs F thing is mainly aesthetic....
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Pentatonic phrases

Listen to great pentatonic players - not just mando, but Sam Bush is a great place to start on mando.

But, Eric Clapton, B B king. King Curtis. Charlie Parker. Bonnie Raitt., Derek Trucks.

A...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Bill Monroe Question

One of my favourite music stories is the involvement of Roy Acuff, whose agent talked him into going. The agent said, look, just take your fiddle, listen, and if you don’t like it, you don’t even...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Anyone know of a suitable clip-on tuner?

Boss Tu-5. Tunes every instrument I have from mandolin through to five string bass
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Woke with a chord question

It’s all context. Technically an Em chord could be a Cmaj7/no root for example. The human brain has a capacity for ‘filling in’ the missing notes. So yes you can have a chord without the root.
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Washburn mandolins

Mine is brilliant. Too many of you seem to spend too much money on high end mandolins and then need to justify it by disparaging budget ones. Or is tone not in the fingers after all?

Open your...
  21. Replies
    Views

Chris Thile interview

https://podcasts.apple.com/au/podcast/wong-notes/id1513405224?i=1000584047201

Very interesting interview with Chris by vulfpeck guitarist Cory Wong. Not much direct mandolin stuff but lots of...
  22. Replies
    Views

Found on google home page

http://www.mandolincentral.com/breaking-news-1922/2022/3/21/march-22-1922-chautauqua-and-the-first-serious-mandolin

Not a bad article.
  23. Re: What’s the nicest mandolin you’ve ever seen?

There are no wrong answers. And you can define it as you like. Just an attempt to get a parade of beautiful instruments.
  24. Re: What’s the nicest mandolin you’ve ever seen?

I’ve seen it there too. They do a great job in displaying it. And it is a magnificent specimen.
  25. Thread: Pick Talk

by David Lewis
    Replies
    Views

Re: Pick Talk

Off hand I like the tradition with the round corners and the transparent blue tradition. I also like the medium light one. You should try yours on the mandolin. You might like them.
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4