Search:

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: "Mandolin Players In Ireland" Social Group

Hi Dagger...

Well, now! The first word that leaps to mind after listening to your new recording of that set is "blistering". To be able to achieve that level of energy when playing solo is a...
  2. Re: "Mandolin Players In Ireland" Social Group

Because the search facility at The Mandolin Cafe doesn't seem to work properly, I've created a spreadsheet in Excel which contains links to individual tunes in the Mandolin Players In Ireland Social...
  3. Re: Irish traditonal music on electric mandolin

Thanks, Tate.

I've posted lots more of electric mandolin playing at the social group "Mandolin Players In Ireland". Mostly solos - but a few "arrangements" as above. Why not pop across and check...
  4. "Mandolin Players In Ireland" Social Group

I've been posting quite prolifically to the Song-A-Week Social Group (https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/group.php?groupid=67) over the past few weeks. (There's a thread below...). The group is a...
  5. Replies
    Views

The Song-A-Week Social Group...

I wonder how many of those active in this forum are aware of the Song-A-Week Social Group?

(Despite the title, songs feature only very rarely. It's very much focused on tunes.)

The tunes are...
  6. Re: Update on "The Irish Mandolin" - and other stories

A summary of new additions to my YouTube channel this week (18/9/23-24/9/23) http://youtube.com/TheIrishMandolin

7. Re: Please help identify this tune (The Rising of the Lark??)

Hi Bill

If you enjoy learning abiut a tune then Ian Lynch's podcast in the Fire Draw Near series about "John Anderson"/"Johnny Comes Marching Home" and its tributaries and derivatives might appeal...
  8. Re: Update on "The Irish Mandolin" - and other stories

A quick note about some changes which I've recently made to my youtube channel - http://youtube.com/TheIrishMandolin

Users of the channel may be aware that I have categorised the tune learning...
  9. Re: Update on "The Irish Mandolin" - and other stories

It's been a while since I last updated this thread...

While my work continues on tabbing out Irish traditional tunes and making them available via my website and youtube channel, I've also...
  10. Re: Update on "The Irish Mandolin" - and other stories

Yesterday was a red letter day for my YouTube channel http:/youtube.com/TheIrishMandolin. 1,000 subscribers. I had no idea when I started out on my venture, trying to make Irish music as accessible...
  11. Re: Update on "The Irish Mandolin" - and other stories

Two pieces of news ... one good. The other, not so.

First the good news. I'm delighted that Bill Black - a fine musician and a maven who will be well-known to many with a keen interest in Irish...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Ouch! Mandolintab.net is unauthorised?

Michael Eskin has recently developed a useful abc converter to produce sheet music and tablature for mandolin (and whistle).

You can find the converter here...
  13. A few YouTube videos which have impressed me recently...

By way of a Christmas present to fellow mandoliers everywhere, a few YouTube videos which have captured my attention recently...

Ian McDonald and Bethany Waickman play The Fox On The Town/Palmer's...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Irish Mandolin Recordings

No need to go to Facebook, folks. Colin's YouTube channel also features his output. See https://www.youtube.com/@colinbotts
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Ouch! Mandolintab.net is unauthorised?

An alternative while the site appears to be down is folktab.com

In my opinion the output is not quite so readable and certainly not as compact as that at mandolintab.net, but it’s a useful port in...
  16. Re: Update on "The Irish Mandolin" - and other stories

Ed...

I've been giving your post some thought over a coffee this morning.

All of these tunes have been around for a long time - even a tune like the Stack Of Rye which was, in the scheme of...
  17. Re: Update on "The Irish Mandolin" - and other stories

Lovely words, Tim, and much appreciated. It's a resource to be dipped into as and when you wish. I have no plans to step away from either the website or the YouTube channel and for as long as I am...
  18. Re: Update on "The Irish Mandolin" - and other stories

Thank you for that, Michael. Much appreciated. Aidan
  19. Re: Update on "The Irish Mandolin" - and other stories

Thanks, Dagger. Good to hear that you're still at the mandolin. I caught your recent (well, not so recent now; time flies!) appearance on David Benedict's weekly mandolin showcase. Very nice it...
  20. Re: Update on "The Irish Mandolin" - and other stories

Time for an update on the usage of my website and its associated YouTube channel. I sometimes wonder if the amount of time and effort which I put into maintaining both of these is worth it. That's...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: La Sansonette

Hi Mike...

I've been an admirer of Colin's flawless and soulful playing for a long time. What a characterful instrument! And Colin finds the sweet spot on each and every note.

Aidan
  22. Re: Generosity - or "The Giving Hand Never Falters"...

Living with memories of loved ones who have quit the stage is hard, Bren. I hope that sharing those memories somehow makes the loss a little easier.

And again from a different perspective, for...
  23. Generosity - or "The Giving Hand Never Falters"...

I hope this link works. It's from Twitter and while I've embedded many's a YouTube video, I haven't, as far as I can remember, pasted a Twitter link before.

Anyway, the video features Christy...
  24. Re: Update on "The Irish Mandolin" - and other stories

From time to time I get a chance to play virtual long-distance mandolin duets with some of my online friends. I was delighted to be able to make the recording below with John Williamson who takes...
  25. Re: Update on "The Irish Mandolin" - and other stories

Every six months or so I like to run some stats on how my website and YouTube channel are performing. Maintaining both is a lot of hard work and sometimes - in dark moments - I ask myself whether...
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4