1. Replies
    Views

Re: post a video of yourself

Here you go

MDMJO7R7czw
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: acoustic/electric mandolin in 2021

For future reference, posting Guidelines discourage soliciting personal instruments. The Classifieds section is the appropriate place, Want to Buy.
  3. Replies
    Views

Another Ovation MM68 for sale. Prices do seem to be going up.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/msg/d/renton-rare-ovation-mm68-mandolin/7416296084.html
  4. Replies
    Views

Yeah, that is an Asia-made Ovation. Not what the OP is looking for. Only the Ovation MM68 (not the MCS148, MAE148, or MM68AX) was made in the U.S.
  5. Replies
    Views

I agree 100% with Mandobart. Over the years I have tried every electric mandolin or acoustic electric that I could get my hands on. Never was I fully satisfied with the sound, if you want it to truly...
  6. Replies
    Views

I've installed JJB pickups in about 25 instruments from fiddle to ukulele to all mandolin-family instruments, banjos, guitars and an upright bass. Coupled with a decent external preamp/DI its great...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: best use of GIJM and Jethro books

hello again Bhiyao,
    Yes go for the chords. Here's a couple tips that may help:
    The challenge in chordal rhythmic accompaniment is not the formation of a new chord--we look at a...
  8. Replies
    Views

You don’t even need lyrics, la la, dah de dum will do, but yes.
  9. Replies
    Views

general tips that might move things along:

No matter what you're working on(scales/arppegios, melodies, transcriptions, chords, chord-melodies) try to keep track of how it sounds, how it feels,...
  10. Replies
    Views

Keep doing those exercises but now it’s time to train your ear. Sing a melody to those tunes you’re learning. Try and play it. You’ll find that some of those patterns will work. Some may need...
  11. Replies
    Views

Remember any system is one of several you can use. FFCP is one of the very best but like all of them it’s a means to an end not an end.

Try finding links between jethro work and Ted’s work. Also...
  12. Replies
    Views

My online instructor had this recent advice to me that has been helpful. I break my practices into basically three parts. First part is technical practice (e.g., metronome exercises, scales, etc.)...
  13. Replies
    Views

Sounds to me like you already have a good plan. I guess, use the JB books to learn tunes. Devote a portion of your practice to learning and memorizing new tunes, and another portion to honing them to...
  14. Replies
    Views

Bourree #1 from Bach Cello Suite #3

Been working on this for a few weeks and have hit the point of diminishing returns, so I decided to set up a mic and close the books on it. The instrument is a Northfield 5-Bar Artist (Engelmann).
  15. Thread: YoYo Ma

by lowtone2
    Replies
    Views

Re: YoYo Ma

This is so burned into my tiny brain that I can't think of Yo Yo Ma without Mark O'Conner and Edgar Meyer coming to mind.

https://youtu.be/DreJerSU9vo
  16. Re: recorded tunes for turlough O'carloan music posted on the for

Hi,

I’m a great O’Carolan fan. My favourite source for how to play the tunes on mandolin is David Hansen on YouTube. He is a member here and a wonderful player. He probably has videos up on most...
  17. Re: recorded tunes for turlough O'carloan music posted on the for

He was the great harpist who left much wonderful music behind. Yes, there are loads of O’Carolan tunes done here, on video and usually with ABC and/or TAB as well as SN. You’ll find them in the Song...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Really good tremelo exercises?

" Minimum Daily Requirement "
    By David Grisman, should do it.
  19. Re: better practice sessions for a motivated begineer

Here is the main thing. Regular practice is magical. All of a sudden what you couldn't do you can do. All of a sudden what was hard is easy and what was impossible is merely hard. All of a sudden,...
  20. Re: better practice sessions for a motivated begineer

JeffD's advice is awfully good.

Another heretical observation:

I have met LOTS of players (mostly mandolin and guitar 'cause that's what I do) that can do whiz-bang practice routines-- they can...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Easiest Jam Tunes to Memorize

Dang I wrote two long paragraphs on my thoughts concerning the word JAM, then reconsidered and deleted not wanting to be tarred and feathered

I do think that practicing, working with a teacher...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Easiest Jam Tunes to Memorize

Disappointing response - At first glance I find every tune I don't know to be difficult, and every tune I do know to be easy.

My technique, which works for all tunes I have ever encountered, is...
  23. Re: better practice sessions for a motivated begineer

Here is some heretical advice. In crafting your practice routine, it is valuable to keep in mind that "perfect" is the enemy of "good". A perfect routine that discourages constant application, either...
  24. Re: better practice sessions for a motivated begineer

This is from another topic, currently on the Cafe. I think it may be useful here.

In these 'modern' times, folk musicians now are, or should be aware of aspects of music that can help them to...
  25. Re: better practice sessions for a motivated begineer

Ah, in your response to Pete you stated that you weren't touching much on right hand technique at the moment, so I read it as saying that you hadn't spent time on it yet - from your reply to me it...
Page 1 of 2 1 2