Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

New to me JL Smith 5 string

Just wanted to share my new axe - meet "Stella"!

I've been wanting a 5 string e-mando for some time, mostly to not drive my wife crazy but also because I love the options with the lower...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Improvement By Thinking.

Yes, and there is research to support it. I've been reading "The Practice of Practice" and there is a whole chapter devoted to it ("Going Mental").

See...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Share your 2018 mandolin challenges.

For me it's about playing with others. I get into streaks of practicing daily which I enjoy but I struggle to find the time to play at jams or with others.
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Top 5 albums (suggestions)

Love these threads - you all have just added hours and hours of new listening and learning for me!!!
  5. Re: Thile Transitioning to Full-Time Host of A Prairie Home Compa

I think this is fabulous. Chris has a bit of vaudevillian, Jethro-ish, Apollon-esque quality to him. He's really an entertainer. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPh9jbUC2VI

Can't wait to see...
  6. Replies
    Views

Drums as Inspiration

Happy Spring everyone.

I've been working on my rhythm playing lately and was curious how far you all have taken the drums to mandolin connection.

I'm fascinated by it. Listening to Jacob...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin Player, Mandolinist, Mandolin Dude?

I like to call myself a Mando Whacker.
  8. Thread: Worried Man

by mtndan
    Replies
    Views

Worried Man

Hi all,

Thought I post the output of our jam last night. I'm taking a Wernick Method jamming class and am excited to improve!!!!

Any ideas for good mando breaks for this tune, please advise....
  9. Replies
    Views

Peter Ostroushko on Mr Rogers Neighborhood

Who knew!

Peter plays a beautiful Ukranian lullaby. Stream from free if you have Amazon Prime:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004DR2D8I/ref=dv_dp_ep1664

Go in to 16:00 and there it is!
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Personal Musical Highlights from 2014

2014 was the year I came back to mandolin, for good. I had played on and off since college. Mid-life crisis or what not, I decided to pick it back up for reals this time. I signed up with ArtistWorks...
  11. Thread: A Fun Discovery

by mtndan
    Replies
    Views

A Fun Discovery

So my neighbor saw something I had posted on Facebook recently - a video of Bernardo de Pace, and commented that she was a fan of the mandolin, and that her grandfather played, and she had his...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Finally pulled the trigger on a beauty!

Here she is. Definitely feels like I have a lifetime or two's worth of "growing into it"!

http://youtu.be/93IHwso0AeQ
  13. Thread: Sticking to it

by mtndan
    Replies
    Views

Re: Sticking to it

Misty, I can totally relate. I started playing mandolin in college and only now 20ish years later have I really committed. I never had much structure or discipline for it then - it was just...
  14. Replies
    Views

Fun French Horn Mando Duet

My buddy and I at lunchtime.... it ain't always pretty but it should make you smile. Sorry for all the bouncing. Gotta stop that :)

http://youtu.be/DQ-sI4h7fzk
  15. Replies
    Views

Singing and Playing at the Same Time - Tips?

I've been working on my strumming and accompaniment and find that singing and playing at the same time is really tough for me. It's like the proverbial patting your head and rubbing your stomach at...
  16. Interesting hiphop/bluegrass hybrid - playing in NYC

Hey folks,

I love eclectic music and stumbled on Gangstagrass recently via Spotify. It's actually pretty good.

They are playing a show in Brooklyn in a few weeks and I happen to be going to NYC...
  17. Motivation Hacks, Goals and the Quantified Self

Akrasia (/əˈkreɪzɪə/; ancient Greek ἀκρασία, "lacking command (over oneself)"), occasionally transliterated as acrasia, is the state of acting against one's better judgment. The adjectival form is...