Search:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Happy Holidays

Hello MC fam,

Wishing you all a most excellent Holiday Season!

Zach
  2. Replies
    Views

Happy Hanukkah!

I'm just sticking my nose in to wish our friends who are celebrating Hanukkah a happy one!

Also, I haven't ghosted all y'all.
  3. Re: Considering a trade - is it me or the mandolin

This thread title reminds me of the words of Bill Monroe, "Well ... it ain't the mandolin"

https://youtu.be/yG9PllY1TG8

yG9PllY1TG8
  4. Re: Considering a trade - is it me or the mandolin

No guidance here. I just received a Clark Two Point that I ordered a year ago. I love everything about it. Did I need it? Emphatically, no. I have a Weber Yellowstone. There was just something...
  5. Re: Considering a trade - is it me or the mandolin

I also do not have big hands, so a wide nut or chunky neck does not work for me. I have had several mandolins on the catch and release program. some really good mandolins buy respected builders that...
  6. Re: Considering a trade - is it me or the mandolin

My octave is just under 1 1/2 inches -I’m pretty comfortable when I play that.
    What kind of hammock do you use?
  7. Re: Considering a trade - is it me or the mandolin

Much does depend on how wide that neck is as far as I am concerned. My optimal is 1-1/8" but I can handle narrower and even wider to about 1-3/16" (only 1/16" wider). My National has 1-1/4" and that...
  8. Re: Considering a trade - is it me or the mandolin

Age and osteoarthritis was the reason i moved away from many of my instruments to the ones with smaller/thinner necks, so yes, it's certainly a thing that gets done. And it put me in line for...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Considering a trade - is it me or the mandolin

It is probably easier to trade the mandolin than yourself.
  10. Re: Considering a trade - is it me or the mandolin

Life's too short to wrestle with the 'me or the mandolin' issue, or to stick with a mandolin that doesn't thrill you. Try out others as available, find one that seems right and buy it. If it turns...
  11. Re: Considering a trade - is it me or the mandolin

It may be a good thing that you're not looking for a pristine F, as you may want to have the neck profile changed. My preference is a narrow neck with deep V shape, and I had my Stanley A5 neck...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Considering a trade - is it me or the mandolin

I'm with you. It's hard to know whether to trade me or my mandolin. One or the other has serious limitations.
  13. Re: Considering a trade - is it me or the mandolin

I have small hands and am also "older," I find the standard nut comfortable. I have slightly different neck shapes on all of my mandolins, none are particularly uncomfortable for me, so I agree with...
  14. Re: Considering a trade - is it me or the mandolin?

I agree with the folks above that if you want a scroll, you should get a scroll.

With the hand pain, in addition to trying other mandolin neck shapes and widths, and checking your technique/hand...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Considering a trade - is it me or the mandolin?

I have more of a problem with neck depth, not shape. A deep neck is not comfortable for me. The V shape is usually deeper, but doesn't feel like it due to where I place my thumb. I know others have...
  16. Re: Considering a trade - is it me or the mandolin?

Yes, do what makes you play with less pain. Some folks don't like the larger necks on Weber instruments. It happens. Some don't like sharp V necks of some vintage instruments (raises hand). Find what...
  17. Re: Considering a trade - is it me or the mandolin?

Two issues. Both valid.

If you want a scroll, you should get a scroll!

More importantly, you should play what is comfortable. Neck profile makes a big difference to some (me included).
  18. Re: Considering a trade - is it me or the mandolin?

Do whatever is going to bring you happiness. Trade her off and get that scroll man!
  19. Re: Considering a trade - is it me or the mandolin?

i come from a fingerstyle guitar background-with a preference for wide nut width guitars. when i started mandolin, i was advised to start with a wider nut width. i purchased and traded into 1 3/16"...
  20. Replies
    Views

I play a 1 1/8 C neck, and the same in a V neck, also a 1 1/4 neck. It seems I can go between them all without a problem so I would look at technique. That being said find something comfortable for...
  21. Re: Considering a trade - is it me or the mandolin?

I had an Eastman 915 with a sort of vee neck and 1 5/32 nut, radius fretboard and old hands. For me the answer was 1 3/16" nut, "c" shaped neck and FLAT fretboard. Trial and error.
  22. Replies
    Views

I’ve got a Weber and a Northfield with standard necks (1 1/8), and a Collings MT-O with a wide neck (1 3/16). I have no trouble switching between them so I agree with Bill on evaluating your left...
  23. Re: Considering a trade - is it me or the mandolin?

It’s no fun to play with pain. While it may be the wide neck/profile, technique is also a consideration. Do you get the pain on your other instruments? Maybe have your left hand position examined...
  24. Replies
    Views

Note names on the instrument

In case anyone is interested, here is a chart you can print and use.

:mandosmiley::mandosmiley::whistling:
  25. Replies
    Views

Go America!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpZMQa7-H-A
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4