Search:

Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Neck shape/feel: "V" vs rounded

Some can adjust easier than others. My A Jr. has a slightly V shaped neck, the Boeh very round. Both those work for me. As does the smaller V on my Brentrup.

But the mid 1930's Gibson V shaped...
  2. Re: What are some of the best Mandolins that you all have played?

Have mentioned this numerous times - my favorites are probably the Fern Dick Kimmel owned (which I believe is now in Germany) and the Lloyd LaPlant that was played by Bob Douglas. (Although every one...
  3. Re: Stroboclip Tuner TL;DR Tale told by an idiot*, Part 765:

Like the Stroboclip around home. Use the Unitune or Polytune at jams and performances. It turns on and off quicker and is just as accurate, IMO.

Do occasionally jam with a guitarist who plays in...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson A-50 (43-CPR 7)

Per Paul Fox's book "The Complete Guide to Gibson Mandolins" page 151, the price shown on the tag was current for 1952. Didn't change until 1956.

That seems to agree with the single line Kluson...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: New Mandolin Cafe Hat

Haven't purchased one from this run. Have two earlier ones that fit my 7 3/4 size head just fine.
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Emma's Waltz (Emman Valssi)

Good tune. Seems like it may have been "played out" in the last few decades. Our band can do it, but we don't include it in our sets very often. I happen to like it and try to get us to play it more...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: N(o)MD - '85 Carlson Flatiron A5 Jr

That's awesome! Looks like it's a one piece top. Even cooler.

Those Flatiron models have a great sound, IMO.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Metsäkukkia - Finnish waltz

It's a staple in our Finnish-American band. Also one of the tunes my wife usually sings.

We like it in A minor for the vocal versions. Some accordion players prefer it in G minor.

Here's my...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: ABCnotation.com Harmony and V:2

It didn't come up for me just now in St. Paul, Minnesota. (Where it is +5f and we have a gig this evening.)
  10. Replies
    Views

Christmastime is Here - NMD

Promised Santa (or at least Mrs. Claus) I'd be good if there might be an A model mandolin in my future. Guess it worked.

A model from Steve Boeh of Woodbury, MN. This is #37. Minnesota pine top...
  11. Re: Confusion about Bozeman Flatirons A -2 versus Performer

Festival and Performer models had integrated fretboard extensions. None of the other models do.

The F5, A5 - Junior, Performer and Festival were all tone bar braced. The other models were...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Kalamazoo MAS

The flat-tops had a modified ladder bracing. Every arched top Kalamazoo I've handled that hasn't been modified has an X brace. Possibly used to make sure the arch didn't collapse under string tension.
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Collings MT2 vs large bodied Sobell

Another vote for keeping the Sobell. Great instruments like that are special. A friend has a Sobell 'zouk that he has been using for old time music for many years.

Had a Collings MT and sold it...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: A Style “Holy Grail?

Was thinking that if the Grail (as opposed to just being grail shaped) is difficult to obtain, then I wonder if the Gibson A-2Z might be included. Suggesting this as it seems to be one of the few...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: A Style “Holy Grail?

Not sure what I'd consider the A Grail. Still looking for mine. Although I keep judging all other Gibson oval holes against my A Jr and nothing has beat it yet.

Brentrup, Ellis, Hinde, Givens and...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Modding a Northfield F5S

Agree with the Gilchrist tailpiece, Tonegard and arm rest. Had all three on the F5S I had.

After that, just play it. I felt the tuners were fine. Not sure they would need any upgrade.
  17. Re: Strad-O-Lin mandolins - which, when, how good?

Pretty much identical to the first one I owned. That one was dated 1941 inside.

Natural finish was an option at the time. Solid top, laminate back (and probably sides). This one has a...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: What to look for when buying used

I think a used Kentucky KM-950 would probably fit the bill, if you are looking for specific instrument recommendations.

Otherwise there has been a lot of good advice. Only thing I would add that...
  19. Re: Strad-O-Lin mandolins - which, when, how good?

Reviving this thread - was pointed out to me that there is a wider body SOL in the classifieds with comma shaped f-holes. The fingerboard, pickguard and tailpiece cover look like my newer model,...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Which kind of Mandolin you play ?

F style, A oval hole, classical style flat top and all mahogany flat top. The first and last one get the most playing time at present. Mainly Nordic, French Canadian, some French bal-folk, occasional...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Cole's One Thousand Fiddle Tunes in pdf?

Journeybear - thank you for pointing that out. My fault for not being clear on what I had.

Yes, I still have mostly paper, but am starting to force myself to become more willing to adapt to the...
  22. Replies
    Views

Harding's/Ryan's and Cole's are all connected. Patrick Sky discusses the relationship in his introduction to the Mel Bay version of Ryan's.

And I thought it was pointed out in the first post, I...
  23. Replies
    Views

Thanks so far. Have two copies of Cole's and just wanted to add the electronic version. Easier to take along on weekends out of town. (I also wish for electronic versions of R.P. Christeson's Old...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: 30 tunes you should know!

Am agreeing with JeffD here, but for a slightly different reason; really "every" mandolin picker should be able to play these? I don't play bluegrass. (Don't really play much old-time on mandolin,...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Love for Ovals

Thank you JeffD for pointing out the different ovals. Yes, an arch top oval is a different sound than a flat top oval. Love both, but definitely not the same.

Am still grabbing an oval hole,...
Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 4