Search:

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Over the Waterfall on Six Instruments

Hello all,

I took some time out to record a little bit of music for the first time in over two years, so I thought I'd share it here. Hope you like it!

2. Re: My First Octave Mandolin - Design & (Hopefully) Build Thread

Finally got around to a full color render of the "Mint & Chip" Mandola. This file still had the short headstock flare--that was changed after the file upload--but other than that 1/2"...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Sam Bush discusses " Hoss"

Man, I could've sworn I heard that tune somewhere else before, and after a bit of digging...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1wJLSe962E

I first heard a version of it in a tycoon game...
  4. Re: My First Octave Mandolin - Design & (Hopefully) Build Thread

Thanks for the information regarding the top plate and fretboard shelf of the Gibson mandolas; I'll be sticking with a close-running shelf rather than an elevated fretboard based on the bridge height...
  5. Re: Fret Wear from a Mechanical Engineer's View

Again, more good feedback to read here.

sblock, you are correct in nickel strings having non-ideal tonal qualities, I should've clarified that as one of the major drawbacks. And since an old adage...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: distracted driving

7. Replies
    Views

Re: New Washburn 'Timeless' F-5

The current price is for the mahogany-backed Celtic one is listed at $750. For thirty more dollars you could order a Red Valley EM mandolin with far better build quality.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Column: Where is Bluegrass Headed?

A lot of people seem to have some concern over what us millennials are doing with music so as a mid-20-something I can assure you that we have no intention of ruining everything. We don't really know...
  9. Re: F4 vs F5; or, how do you like your oval holes?

I'd also love to see the 3-point F2 design make a comeback in new builds, they're so elegant.
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: "Mandolin Hacks"

Ah, but using a mandolin capo is the greatest rule-breaking hack of all. When the most sadistic monster in the world calls out "Fisherman's Hornpipe in E Flat" at a jam, you can simply capo the...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: "Mandolin Hacks"

If you have a tendency for flatpicks to slip or move around too much in your hand due to nerve or muscle weakening, or if you simply lost your flatpick in the void, a banjo thumbpick can be used as a...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Breaking the TAB habit

One trick to make learning by ear a bit easier is Youtube's new ability to play any video at 3/4, half, or 1/4 speed. Just click the gear in the corner of the video and an options menu will be pulled...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Black Cloud Over Gibson

It would certainly turn more heads than when Gibson bought OMI/Dobro in the '90s, and that was still a bit before everyone began to jump ship in favor of Beard, Scheerhorn, and a bunch of other...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: strings get bad, then good again?

Sounds like an interesting perception exercise. Is it actually better, or do we just get used to it and perceive the gradual acceptance as improvement?
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: What's with the "Product"??

Connotations aside, "product" is simply a term for the output of something per a specific amount of inputs. It's generic but intentionally so, because it's more of a template word for examining...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Very best Monroe style player

I've grown to respect Monroe for his individualistic outlook on musical style, so it's rather odd that a person who often spoke of trying to "carve out a music of his own without copying others" now...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: To read or not to read...

Whether writing something down in sheet music or tablature, committing something to muscle memory by ear, recording one's self on a phone, or scribbling something down on a napkin, it's all just...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Banjo Disrespect

You humans need some Jens Kruger in your lives.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbG9wP4TxGk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hELrIl0EG0

--Tom
  19. Re: Scrolls on Peghead now patented by Gibson?

(Apologies in advance for 2 A.M. crassness of the highest degree...)

It says that "Gibson Guitar Corporation has been awarded Trademark #86174550 for the Fern inlay on F-style mandolin...
  20. Re: Bill Monroe's Mandolin: When Mr. Monroe was 21 years old

I wonder how history would have differed if he kept the A1...

"They arrived at the bluegrass jam with a scroll AND f-holes! Oh, the sacrilege!"

"Nah, that Feb. 18th F5 is overvalued. Shouldn't...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: A-style -- number of frets clear of body?

1. Collings oval holes only have 13 frets to the neck joint, not 15.
    2. A lot of people (not a few, a lot) genuinely prefer the sound of oval holes, short-necked in particular. Even older canted-top...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson made a Master Model this recently?

Probably because David Harvey is neither Lloyd Loar nor a copycat. He is his own person and he makes his own stuff.

--Tom
  23. Re: Chris Thile Streaming on Prairie Home Companion

It's especially odd considering that Sam Bush does a stiff head-banging motion, Mike Marshall occasionally head-bangs with Sam but in an asynchronous manner, and Mike Compton squirms almost as much...
  24. Re: Punch Brothers: "Phosphorescent Blues" Review

This album really does reveal more and more as you begin to pull the layers back and look into it with more depth. I may find another concept that I've completely missed after the tenth or twentieth...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: The End of Guitar Center

Most retail stores I've been to usually carry at least a couple of Kentucky KM-150's in playable condition. To call them "the lower end of Asian made crap" on this site is about as prudent as...
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4