Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Poll: Re: Just starting out -- Should I really learn to "read music"?

Rob, don't worry about what I said -- it was just a light comment. In fact, I was feeling a little badly about making it. I thought: Oh, I hope people aren't reluctant to post now. Anyway, you proved...
  2. Poll: Re: Just starting out -- Should I really learn to "read music"?

Yes, there are certain genres of music that do not really make use of notation.

I read music a lot ...but not when playing Cajun, country, folk, rock, etc.

“Do you read music?” “Not enough...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Rythmic patterns

I’m not sure about strumming itself, but if you do the exercises on this chart, it will help to give you a relaxed swing. You can try it on one string too.
    Good luck!

4. Replies
    Views

Mick Moloney, RIP @ 77

https://theancestory.com/mick-moloney/

How a Chance Encounter Launched a Revival of Irish American Music
    March 15, 2018 | Mick Moloney ...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: "Noodling" at Sessions

Possibly people aren't aware of just how different the whole ecosystem for trad is in Ireland,
    Here in Cornwall we don't have this and up in England they don't either, so it might be worth outlining...
  6. Does your mando need a setup? Learn to do it yourself!

Hi there, mandolin lovers. Many moons ago I wrote an ebook on how to set up a mandolin. Mandolins are finicky little beasts and very slight adjustments can make a very big difference. I've been...
  7. Replies
    Views

John Goodin passing

Not much to add. Just read it from a mutual friend on FB. He played in Contracopia as well as Foot Notes with Beth Horven Rotto. Also was a composer and was the person behind Playford for Mandolin...
  8. Replies
    Views

English fiddling essay (no mando)

I'm posting this for anyone interested in English traditional music, which is commonly played but little talked about when compared to so-called "Celtic" music. I play some English tunes from my time...
  9. Re: Al Capone's Waltz on Peter Coombe Classical Flattop

Very nice, Eric!

I have just had a look online for this tune and see that there is a transcription complete with harmony as played by Paul Wilson, with an accompanying note on the origin and name...
  10. Al Capone's Waltz on Peter Coombe Classical Flattop

My mandolin here is Peter Coombe #248 (separate thread elsewhere). Tune is from Sweden and was supposedly played for Al Capone repeatedly in Chicago. The source insisted he played this for Mr. Capone...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: What artist/album got you started with Trad

Dave Swarbrick, fiddler. In 60's and early 70s Glasgow (Scotland), the best known fiddlers overall (not just among musicians) were probably Aly Bain (Boys of the Lough), a Shetlander who played in a...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Flatiron A-5 Artist, 1,500 should I get it?

Hello everyone,

Mandolin arrived earlier this week so I have had it for a few days now. I did take it to a couple of shops and had a few people look at it. The two "mandolin specific" luthiers...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin world vs fiddle world

It is interesting that Guillermo Carmignola uses a 'transitional bow' in the fast passages in Vivaldi. It is the bow used before the modern 'Tourte' bow that we know today.

Lisa Grodin has a...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin world vs fiddle world

There are other factors with fine tuners.

Fiddlers traditionally used steel-core strings, which are next to impossible to tune with pegs alone. Before synthetic strings were introduced—Dominants,...
  15. Some great resources for Irish trad players...

Just flagging a website which I came across recently which I've found really useful.

Jon Antonsson, a flute player from Sweden, has some terrific resources at his website...
  16. Re: Mandolin sheet music in standard notation only: where is it?

Masking tape.
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Fiddlers picking with bow direction?

I don't know about mandolin players (mandolin isn't popular in Quebec traditional music), but here is Gadelle, a group of Prince Edward Island Acadian (east coast French-Canadian) musicians, with no...
  18. Replies
    Views

Video: The Princess

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzNcU6sfUuY

I’ve had the pleasure of the company of both my daughters over the holidays. The day before daughter #1 left we sat down to record this tune which she...
  19. Fairytale Of New York - Chord Melody [Tab]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sW_8BFleej0

Tab
  20. Re: Whiskey Before Breakfast - Interesting Approaches?

One site is: Virtual Museum of Métis History and Culture

Here is John Arcand playing WBB

Emile Lavallee plays a medley including WBB at about 9:10:

https://youtu.be/4sbcH6N5Y5g
  21. Replies
    Views

German and Austrian Christmas songs

There is still time to learn some simple tunes for Christmas. Here is a little playlist of more or less famous German and Austrian Christmas songs arranged for mandolin. You will find the links to...
  22. Replies
    Views

Happy Anniversary Mandolin Cafe!

Scott-

Congratulations! You and the Mandolin Cafe team have created something really special, and valuable. I know I'm not alone in appreciating how much this means musically and socially. One of...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Home Recording Setup for Total Beginner?

+1 for the above. We use a Tonor Q9 microphone that goes for $50 on Amazon and get recordings that are better than a "Total Beginner" needs. Going more complicated than that is setting yourself up...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Suggestions on a beginner "set list"

You might find yourself "taking a sip from a fire hose". Back in the 1990's in St. Paul I compiled a (growing) list of common tunes for our group that met every Sunday at O'Gara's pub. I ended up...
  25. Thread: Key of Bb

by Mark Gunter
    Replies
    Views

Re: Key of Bb

In an actual tune or song in Bb you could encounter any number of chords "outside the key" - that is, chords other than Bb-Cm-Dm-Eb-F-Gm-Adim-Bb - there could be chord substitutions, especially in...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3