Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: A question on a Century of Progress Gibson LC Guitar.

I got my '35 neck reset and some other work on it by an excellent luthier. It now plays like a dream. Yes the mother-of-toilet-seat fretboard is a royal PITA.
  2. Re: A question on a Century of Progress Gibson LC Guitar.

The 14 fret L-Century necks should all have truss rods.

Most of the 12 fret HG-Century necks do not, but they only made a few dozen of them. All of the 12 fretters were built for Hawaiian play. ...
  3. Replies
    Views

Fun with "Arkansas Traveler"

that's what these guys look like they're having ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxBMBm_ZI-g
  4. Thread: Speed Exercises

by gtani7
    Replies
    Views

Re: Speed Exercises

Shore!

Online: http://www.mandozine.com/techniques/

Books by Todd Collins (2 of them), Mike Marshall (Fingergusters), Julin's Dummies Exercises, Eschliman's "Getting into Jazz", Rubner-Petersen...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Melody embellishment

I thought everybody would be talking here about ornaments. To my ear it's often the little decorations that make or break a song. Sitting at home going over a piece, I seek out the trills,...
  6. Replies
    Views

Listen & steel.
    Listen to the many versions of a tune, clinically. Even if you ripped off Bill Monroe note for note, it won't sound like Bill Monroe, because you're not Bill Monroe. Collect solo...
  7. Replies
    Views

Personally, I think nothing goes further in spicing up a melody than double-stops/drones and tremolo. Tastefully applied, of course. And it really doesn't take any deviation from the melody to...
  8. Wayne Benson's McClanahan F5 Trinity model

Hey guys and gals! Jonathan McClanahan here. I just thought I'd show you some pics and a video of the mandolin I recently built for Wayne Benson! Let me know what you think!
    [YOUTUBE[/YOUTUBE]
  9. Replies
    Views

Jarosz Gets Trad. - New Video

Besides showing off my own work - I think this new one might interest those of us who have followed Sarah Jarosz's phenomenal growth as a picker and songwriter. Playing with this crew seems to...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Any info on this Banjo Mandolin

Looks just like this one Jake Wildwood of Antebellum instruments restored. One of the comments on his website said that the lion on the headstock was a trademark of Geo. Houghton & Sons of...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Fixing old tuners ('22 Gibson)

Not so extreme (this is a '22 A-2):

http://www.lutherie.net/gibson.a-2.headstock.bkwrds.jpg

Not bad on most F-4s I've seen either. A friend's 1915, and my 1912:
  12. Re: More Cool Stuff from the Musical Instrument Museum

Those are resonator mandolins, and some people like them for that quirky sound. I wouldn't mind one myself if I found a used one at a terrific price. There are resonator guitars too.

13. Re: Single Mic Bluegrass: This is How It's Done!

larry, you are very right it saying it is up to the performers. and I too am much more in favor of using a single mic, disliking the mixing puzzle and forest of mics in multi mic situations. without...
  14. Single Mic Bluegrass: This is How It's Done!

The Bluegrass Situation (HERE) premiers a video that I produced. It was a free webcast with some of NYC's best bluegrass players supporting Michael Daves's Kickstarter.

"He's joined by singer...
  15. Re: Is it wrong to correct a poster's spelling or grammar?

I consider people that engage in this on a routine basis to be boorish. Review the posting guidelines when in doubt:

- Avoid flaming or trolling – posts intended to create discord, antagonize...
  16. Sonata No. 9 in A minor - Alessandro Scarlatti 1660 - 1725

Sonata originally for flute, two violins and cello/bass/continuo

In five movements -
    Allegro, Largo, Fuga, Largo e piano (duet) and Allegro

Here it is scored for mandolin orchestra doubled by...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Noam and other winners at IBMA

Wow, not sure how it's possible to diss Adam Steffey just because he won another award. Listen to the tone, timing and taste on New Primitive (played at fairly moderate tempos) and the last couple...
  18. Replies
    Views

The awards are great marketing for bluegrass music. As far as who is the best, what song is the best, etc., that's all subjective. If you don't think so, start a thread about 'the best' here. ...
  19. Replies
    Views

From Brad - "'I'm not worthy to carry his case…',...". Adam Steffey could get a better tone out of any of my cases that i get out of the mandolins !. There's no need for comparisons when you reach...
  20. Replies
    Views

Marty Stuart on Fresh Air

Marty Stuart interview on Fresh Air features clip of him playing mandolin solo at age 13 with Lester Flatt
  21. Re: I've been watching the Americana Music Awards...

$.02, I love Buddy Miller... He is an awesome singer-songwriter.
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: What Were Those Guitarists Thinking?!

sblock,

I dig your posts Bro, however on a point of minutia, the mando is in the lead in intro to Man Of Constant Sorrow. Our band plays it and I had to learn (rip it off) it...LOL!

23. Replies
    Views

Re: Free spectrum software?

Wonderful, if there is a $20 mic that'll work that's awesome. My comment wasn't meant to imply it had to be expensive. Rather that it has a wide bandwidth and a flat response. :)

Cheers,
    Mike
  24. Replies
    Views

I would respectfully disagree with this. Microphones have different response curves. That is one reason why people prefer diffent mics for different applications. That is not too say that the most...
  25. Replies
    Views

"If you don't have access to a high quality micraphone, you could try sending sine wave signals through the mic you have so you at least have an idea what variations to expect."

Yeah, that's a...
Page 1 of 2 1 2