Search:

Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

My engraving process

Hi everyone,

It looks like I joined back in 2016 but never posted.

I recently discovered the baroque mandolino and it’s fascinating music, so I have been lurking around here recently. I don’t...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a picture of what's on your bench?

I hear you Bill, I just found the natural beauty of the wood attractive... it turned out beautiful and it sounded awesome on the last instrument, so I'm repeating the process.
  3. A customer playing a baroque mandolin I built

wc88GAcDsrY

I wasn't sure where to put this since it's not technically a video of me. It's also both lutherie/builder content and a video. Hopefully this is OK.

Here's some pictures of the...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Most common failures and problems

I would add that Gibson did not tuck the end of the brace ends under the interior linings as Martin did, adding to the loose brace occurrence. Back in the day when I worked for a custom guitar shop...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Slotting fingerboards

I do CNC router and laser work. First, the non-industrial routers and lasers are quite accurate and the routers could easily handle slotting fingerboards. That's a minor problem. I've never done...
  6. Re: My visit to Northfield Mandolins and Elderly Instruments

One more observation about Northfield before commenting and a few pics of Elderly Instruments. Of all of the NF mandolins I played I really fell in love with one of the Artist series models. But the...
  7. My visit to Northfield Mandolins and Elderly Instruments

Instead of going to the upcoming NAMM Show in 2024 decided to pay a visit to Northfield and Elderly Instruments. Northfield was yesterday and was a mind blowing experience getting to play all of...
  8. Thread: Metal saddle

by DHopkins
    Replies
    Views

Re: Metal saddle

Back in the late 50s, my father made one for his Slingerland Songster guitar. It sounded (still sounds) pretty good. I have the guitar now but I don't play it.
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: post a video of yourself

St Basil's Hymn on two mandolins, mandola, octave mandolin and mandocello

26R3fHo77X8
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Small Travel Size Mandolin

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/threads/139472-Introducing-the-Haywood-Mini-Camper-Suitcase-Travel-Mandolin
  11. Replies
    Views

A moment for thanks...

Here's wishing a super, fun, healthy, and family-centric Thanksgiving to all my friends here on MandolinCafe!
    Roger
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: What’s in a Scroll?

I personally like an F aesthetically and functionally, because I like the points and the way it hangs on the strap; but definitely aesthetics most. I am always puzzled by the people who think an F is...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Anyone Spraying Shellac?

Goodness gracious, an alcohol fight.
    All I know is that 95% pure grain alcohol works really well, and has been working well for 500 years.

If you can't buy it locally, sneak some across the state...
  14. Cajun Stomp (by Mark Schatz) on solo mandola

One of the things I love most about traditional music is the way that tunes naturally evolve over time and space because of the aural nature of how the tunes are passed on. Cajun Stomp is a tune...
  15. Replies
    Views

No 5 is en route to its new owner, and I've been in shop improvement mode for the last month or so... No instruments on my bench yet, ... so I am working on an exhaust system for the shop. I have a...
  16. Replies
    Views

John Brosnan's Reel

I decided to give this tune a go, and in the process of experimenting with it, came up with this somewhat unique version. Pretty untraditional, but hopefully enjoyable to listen to.

(Yeah, yeah,...
  17. Re: Building a Mandolin vs. Violin - Differences?

Violin construction...
    An interior mold is used
    The sides and plates are thinner and there is a 3mm overhang on the plates and you install purfling as opposed to binding.
    Hide glue is the only...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: 30 tunes you should know!

Am agreeing with JeffD here, but for a slightly different reason; really "every" mandolin picker should be able to play these? I don't play bluegrass. (Don't really play much old-time on mandolin,...
  19. Re: Jescar EVO Gold fretwire discontinued

Thanks for the suggestion. We have tried the Stewmac gold and it is not the same hardness of the Jescar EVO gold.
  20. Re: Non-mando: how well does Spotify or Pandora pay off for artis

Our band's first CD in 2010 was put on all the services. We made a total of 17¢. We didn't bother with subsequent CDs. We made more selling them at gigs.
  21. Replies
    Views

Cold Frosty Morn (with the family band)

My daughters and I performed for an evening social gathering at the Fort Bridger Mountain Man Rendezvous. Here is one of the tunes we performed that night, featuring Liesl (16) on fiddle and...
  22. Thread: RIP Al Petteway

by M19
    Replies
    Views

RIP Al Petteway

The great fingerstyle guitarist Al Petteway passed away suddenly last week. Here is a post from his wife and duets partner Amy White: https://umgf.com/rip-al-petteway-t228209.html
    I have his...
  23. Replies
    Views

A 10 string variable scale story

OK folks here we go, this is a slightly unusual thread - it's not a "build thread" because the instrument is already built and off in it's new home, nor is it a "look what I made" thread, because I...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Bluegrass Jam…just kidding.

This issue goes beyond music. Every time, I put on my hockey gear and head over to the baseball diamond, in no time, the baseball police are onto me, telling me that I can't play with them. Well,...
  25. Replies
    Views

Very cool Tom! With 3 of my 4 girls being violinists, I've definitely considered building one myself! Yours looks lovely!
Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 4