Search:

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Fretless Frankenzouk strings

Nylon will be about half the tension of steel/bronze and will not likely drive the top adequately to sound good (I have been down this road before). I have a fretless Trillium 10 string octave...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Music from Central France

Hi Dagger:

I love that music and play it on my English Border bagpipes by Jon Swayne and schäferpfeife by Thorsten Tetz, which are very similar to the cornemuse du centre that Julian Barbances is...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: How do you remember all those tunes?

This is exactly right, and after forty years of teaching this music at all levels I will tell you to avoid those visual contextual cues when learning tunes if you 1. want to get good at learning by...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: How do you remember all those tunes?

A few things:

1. DON'T source tunes from notation or tab. Learn them only by ear, at least for the first few months or a year (depending on how much time you have to practice). If you are trying...
  5. Re: Strings for tuning Plectrum banjo as Irish Tenor capoed 3rd f

YMMV but those gauges are too light for my 22.125" scale OME. I use 13/22/32/42
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Nylon low strings on Cittern

I have done this on a 12 string and a custom made extended range tenor guitar.

For the 12 string, I use Hannabach nylon classical bass strings .062 and .045 for low A1 and D2 pitches and they...
  7. Re: String Gauges For Cittern, changing Unisons to Octaves

Tuning? I am guessing DGDAE?
  8. Re: String Gauges For Cittern, changing Unisons to Octaves

The general rule of thumb is 1/2 the gauge of the lower string, but this can be a little tricky when mixing wound and plain strings. The best approach is to find a string that is the same tension as...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: What artist/album got you started with Trad

I was first exposed to it through The Chieftains 9 Boil the Breakfast Early album in 1980. Then I started listening to a local radio show called "Ballads, Bards & Bagpipes" on KCUR-FM in Kansas City,...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Capo for an octave

D'Addario Planet Waves Tri-Action capo:

https://www.daddario.com/products/accessories/capos/tri-action/tri-action-capo/
  11. Replies
    Views

Modal Harmony Webinar today

I am teaching a free webinar on the Basics of Modal Harmony for Irish Traditional music today from 1:00-3:00pm CST (7:00pm GMT). Zoom link on my Facebook page 30 mins prior.
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: String width at the bridge

My Herb Taylor has 47mm spacing at the bridge (44mm fretboard width at 12th fret, same as Graham's).
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Octave pairings?

FYI: the Rickenbacker configuration for octave pairs is based on using flatwounds, not roundwounds, so the higher pitched string is a bit brighter comparatively.
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Looking for exotic scales for Mandola

Adding my 2 cents here: it's helpful in a comparative since, especially when playing a wide range of these on an equally-tempered Western instrument (or the approximation of that on our fretted...
  15. Re: Gibson threatening the mandolin and guitar luthier community

What sblock said above... Fender did not protect its copyrights to the Telecaster and Stratocaster designs and so lost the right to do so. Rickenbacker, on the other hand, has done their due...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: French Folk / Fiddle Tunes

Here's some of the best:

https://www.you
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wy3LMXJ7bdE&t=30stube.com/watch?v=wy3LMXJ7bdE&t=30s
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Tommy Peoples RIP

I had the great honor of accompanying Tommy for a week's worth of gigs in New Mexico back in 2004. I'll never forget the experience of sitting next to him, his music exploding off his fiddle like...
  18. Thread: 1970s Sobell

by zoukboy
    Replies
    Views

1970s Sobell

This is a 1978 Sobell cittern that was the first zoukoid instrument I owned, purchased second hand from Gerald Trimble in 1981 (and sold a couple of years later when I bought another Sobell 2nd hand...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: mandolin strings on a mandola?

You could use an online string tension calculator to answer your question:

http://www.bangzero.org/stringtension/

You don't mention what the string gauges are or which instrument you have, but...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Irish Bouzouki vs. Greek Bouzouki

Yeah... good luck with that! :-)
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: 24" scale length

You can run your own string tensions on this site here: http://www.bangzero.org/stringtension/

len 24"

E4 .012" PL == 20.69#
    E4 .012" PL == 20.69#
    A3 .022" PB == 28.53#
    A3 .022" PB ==...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: St Louis Tionól April 21st

Anyone forum members going to the St. Louis Tionól this weekend?
  23. Re: Slippery Greek zoukies - a crude but workable "solution"

opa!
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: 4 string vs 5 string tenor...

Depends on what music you play and what you want to do with the instrument. I find having an extra bass string* to be invaluable for adding drone notes while playing melody or increasing my options...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Thoughts about Greek zouk for Irish music

You also might listen to Mick Conneely, Rory McGorman, and Jonas Fromseier who are all playing great accompaniment on Greek trichordo, carrying on the Alec Finn tradition.
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4