Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Pinky workouts for a pinky that wants to always turn?

Try out Mike Marshall’s Great Book of Finger Busters: https://www.elderly.com/collections/all/products/mike-marshall-s-mandolin-method-the-great-book-of-finger-busters

Getting your pinky working...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Tunes in "F"

https://youtu.be/VweMZusa1S4
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: McClung Armrest

Wishing you all the best for a speedy and complete recovery, Doug!
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Hornpipe rhythm

In Appalachian old-time music, many (maybe most) standards that have “hornpipe” in their title usually aren’t played with much of a hornpipe rhythm. I’m thinking of some of the most often played...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: McClung Armrest

Love my two McClungs!
  6. Re: Do you shift positions for hammer-ons/pull-offs?

Seems like the consensus, not surprisingly, is that there are no hard and fast rules, and that the best guide is to do what works best and sounds best. For me, at this stage of my mandolin...
  7. Re: Do you shift positions for hammer-ons/pull-offs?

That is the tune, but Mark's spin on it is very different. I could post an MP3 clip of this part if I figure out how (can I post an MP4--exported from Amazing Slow Downer--with the attach video...
  8. Re: Do you shift positions for hammer-ons/pull-offs?

Hi all, Thanks for your advice. Actually, after I posted this, I did what I should’ve done in the first place: got the answer from the horse’s mouth. The tune is called Pumpkin Vine. It’s a pretty...
  9. Do you shift positions for hammer-ons/pull-offs?

I’m working on a fiddle tune that has a bunch of hammer-on pull-off combinations. And if I stay in 1st position, it uses all three combinations of fingers for these (index/middle, middle/ring,...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Shout out to Collings

I just purchased a new MT a couple months ago and have loved it from the start. If it gets even better over time (and hopefully, I will as well), WOOHOO!!
  11. Re: Celebrating The Mandolin Pickers Guide to Bluegrass Improvisa

It’s a great book! I still have a long way to go.
  12. Re: Book/s on how to improvise on Old Time tunes???

I’m about a 12-year beginner at old-time fiddle, and I still can’t “improvise” very well, but here are some of the things I do to try to play a tune “my way.”
    1. I try to listen to tons of...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: My pinky won't go where I tell it!

I’m just a beginner myself, so don’t listen to me, but I would just say keep doing what you’re doing. Those pinky muscles take time to develop, but they will stretch out. As will whatever brain...
  14. Re: What is the most mandolins you've owned at one time?

One. But I have my eyes open.
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Jamming-What to do?

Do you like old-time music? No breaks, so it's much easier to blend into the background, unless you are THE rhythm guitarist, in which case, your playing will make or break the jam. Mandolin...
  16. Re: Lengthy article on bluegrass in the Guardian (UK)

“...the Carolina Chocolate Drops restores the tradition of the black string band that had been all but written out of bluegrass history.”

I’m more into old-time, but do any of you bluegrassers...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: focus/concentration

It sounds paradoxical, but the thing I have to focus on most when practicing—both mandolin and fiddle—is relaxing. Especially when I practice fiddle, I find that my entire face and jaw tends to tense...
  18. Re: New EP from my band Chez Coucou - Boulder, CO

OMG, I live 5 minutes away from there! But I can’t make it tonight. Maybe next Thursday night. I love Waterloo.
  19. Re: Pinky reach vs. position shift (Haste to the Wedding)

No, the pinky reach to the B isn’t a problem at all. It’s just slightly awkward to play that second measure with pinky on B, middle on G, and ring on A. It’s slightly easier to play that combination...
  20. Thread: Chords

by wormpicker
    Replies
    Views

Re: Chords

I can't remember whether this has been pointed out yet, but one benefit of working on 4-finger (not just 4-string) chords from the beginning is precisely to stretch your hands so that you'll be able...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: “Jake’s Got A Bellyache”

Nice! I really like this tune and have been playing around with it myself. Erynn Marshall recorded it with The Haints Stringband on their Shout Monah Album.

The A part is similar to Washington’s...
  22. Thread: Chords

by wormpicker
    Replies
    Views

On “bluegrass centricism”: I just wanted to say thanks to the Mandolin Cafe and everyone here for all the varied and terrific information, advice, and inspiration. I’m a relative newcomer to both...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Goals for 2019

That’s actually an easy goal. You don’t have to get any better—just lower you standards and self-shame. That’s what I did. ;)
  24. Thread: Chords

by wormpicker
    Replies
    Views

Not advice (I’m still a beginner, so not qualified yet to give advice), just encouragement. I also have really small hands. The three-finger chords are all fine. Learn and use them. But I would...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Reading notation up the neck

Thanks to you all for your really helpful insight and perspective. I’m excited to learn my way around this stringed beast through both closed positions and third position.
Page 1 of 2 1 2