Search:

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Waverly A style tuners, buttons with screws?

As for the schematic on the Stewmac site, they may have made them in the past. A few years back I was looking for Waverly worm over F style tuners. Stewmac said they never made them. Finally a pair...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Waverly A style tuners, buttons with screws?

Nícolo is pretty slow to respond, especially in the summer. I think he may close his shop and spend most of the summer on an island somewhere as I recall from a previous summer's attempt to order a...
  3. Re: Northfield Airloom Deluxe case 2.0 - what was improved?

Couple things:

Thanks for the question and input. We designed this case to be a nod to the original vintage oblong cases with improvements to storage and strength. ItÂ’s not the most streamlined...
  4. Re: Northfield Airloom Deluxe case 2.0 - what was improved?

For our OP:

How about a Hiscox case? May take a while to obtain, however it is oblong, very protective, and not a great deal of money.

https://www.hiscoxcases.com/products/mandolin-hard-case
  5. Re: Northfield Airloom Deluxe case 2.0 - what was improved?

I have a 1.0, I like it. It is sleek, with ample storage. My only complaint is that it does not protect the bridge area from receiving pressure in the event of a strike or weight to the top of the...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: New Chris Thile album

Thile's progressive work is something I want to like more than I do. I tend to blame my ear, though, for not being educated enough to follow where he's trying to take me.

In a master class he did...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: New Chris Thile album

I have appreciated everything Chris Thile has done up to now, and of course I am sure he will continue to create incredible music. But this new album was lacking in so many ways. There just aren't...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Martin 0-18T8 8 string tenor

Hi Roman,

Wow - Nice Martin Octave Mandolin! $5k seems fair for one of only five ever made.

According to Martin Guitars: A Technical Reference: 2 were made in 1969, 3 in 1970.
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Tenor guitar options in Europe

Yep Jill, that is my understanding and experience as well.

Sorry for the tangent - but a limited run of '38-'43 instruments (mostly 15 series) had this headstock veneer. (I like pearloid headstock...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Tenor guitar options in Europe

The 18 series guitars, pre-1969, would've had Brazilian rosewood for the headstock overlay, the fretboard and the bridge as far as I know. I just flew back to Ireland from the States with my '69...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Recording King ROST-7-TS - part 1

https://youtu.be/vG4xs3GhQzY

Here is a short video of the guitar- a little sloppy and the wrong key ;)
    I still like it very much.
  12. Re: Current classified ad for 1956 Martin 0 18T

So I misspoke, It's a 1947. Here's a rough recording but gives you an idea of the beautiful ringing tone.
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Current classified ad for 1956 Martin 0 18T

I've taken a moderately careful look at the photos of the instrument.

While the cleated center seam is what might be called a complaint, it is not a problem if the work was done well.
    There is a...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Cafe versus Craigslist

I dislike telephones. I don't wish to be intruded upon at the whim of strangers.

Email can be dealt with on my own schedule, and it provides a permanent record. Beyond that, complex concepts can...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Pomeroy Mandocello - "Liuto Americano"

Well, the instrument has been in my hands for a few days, and it is truly marvelous. I am currently practicing and getting my chops to a less rusty degree, but then I will make a recording to share...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: mandolin strings on a mandola?

here
    7bFwie2OA_g
  17. Replies
    Views

More varnish photos!

The first two show the same dye job, but in natural light. At first, I was a bit concerned about the red-brown balance between the spruce top and the maple,...
  18. Replies
    Views

You and me both!

Oh man, I should have made this clearer in the OP: Don deserves 110% of the credit for the outstanding workmanship. The only credit I'll take is for the design of the scroll...
  19. Replies
    Views

Pomeroy Mandocello - "Liuto Americano"

Hello all,

Since the fall of 2017, I've been working with Don Paine of Pomeroy Instruments on a novel build, playfully dubbed the "liuto americano". The concept is a sort of evolution of Don's...
  20. Re: Chris Thile and Michael Daves Interview - Part I

Noting the anniversary of this interview!
  21. Replies
    Views

Collings Tenor Guitar

Hi All,

I just got my Collings all mahogany tenor guitar back from the Collings repair shop, where they treated the guitar and me like royalty. No financial interest or ties here, just a very...
  22. Re: New Northfield 'Airloom' case availability in the EU (Hopeful

I think people are aware of that but I think some people on this side of the pond would like to see one for themselves. I'm not interested personally - I have enough cases to serve the mandolins I...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson Tenor Lute

The very few 30's F-hole elevated board short neck mandolas that I've seen look like exact leftover TL bodies from 24! The bridge is back on them like the F-7,10,12! We know Gibson held onto parts...
  24. Replies
    Views

Well it seems I won this tenor lute for a pretty cheap price and I will convert it seeing its beat, and I already have a real nice original one so I'll have a killer mandola player with vintage vibe,...
  25. Replies
    Views

I have spent some time playing a tenor lute converted to a mandola. It was a passable instrument, but not in any way amazing. It might have been a little crisper than some H-1's. It did not blow...
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4