Search:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Quality/Price Ratio - QPR

I know this metric isn't really applicable in my case, but just for giggles, my keeper has a perceived value to me of about $3500 and I spent about $250,000 to get it. So that's a QPR of .014.
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: The Black returneth once more as an A2

#1 - Sunburst GBOM - (MB logo)
    #2 - Sunburst A4 with Virzi
    #3 - Natural top GBOM with Carp inlay for Dave Firestine
    #4 - 2-point Piccolo for son James Black (JAMES inlayed in the fingerboard)
    #5...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: The Black returneth once more as an A2

I'll help fill in the Early ones. :)

#1 - Sunburst GBOM - (MB logo)
    #2 - Sunburst A4 with Virzi
    #3 - Natural top GBOM with Carp inlay for Dave Firestine
    #4 - 2-point Piccolo for son James...
  4. Re: Emory Lester, At Dusk, with his Northfield-beautiful

Emory is one the greatest people we've had the privilege to work with and learn from. Such an original artist with a sensibility about music that we find very inspirational and innovative. He's truly...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: your mandolin ownership history

Thanks for the refresher on your current holdings, Jim! My own progression looks like the following:

1998 Mid-Missouri M0 (sold to Dan)
    1984 Flatiron 1N (sold to Rex)
    2009 Redline Traveler...
  6. Replies
    Views

Jim that's . . . uh . . . yeah, that's awesome!

I bought my first mandolin on a whim a couple years ago, a MarkStern taterbug, knowing nothing about mandolins, and found the cafe when researching...
  7. Replies
    Views

Jim, you're my hero.
  8. Re: Northfield Model M Mandolin: the end of the line & worth the

JClover, the fretboard has a 12" radius which is pretty flat compared to a compound radius starting at 7.5" at the nut and ending at 12" at the end. The nut is 28mm width. Nice spacing between the...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Age of realization

Music is not only the $ dividend...
    Today I visited relatives at an old age home, pulled out my mandolin while sitting in the garden and played.
    The joy, the smiles, along with facilitating the...
  10. Thread: Age of realization

by Ddd
    Replies
    Views

Age of realization

I've come to the realization that like most people I'll never make a dime playing the mandolin. I'll never play gigs and that I will never equal the ability of Sam Bush etc. I do not have a...
  11. Replies
    Views

Mandolin Makes you Smarterer

Here's a cool TED talks video on how playing music is particularly good for your brain. Lord knows I'll take all the help I can get! :confused:
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: That Wonderful Collings Aroma (???)

Ha! That's brilliant, Jim! It's not just me, then (good to know!). This could take mandolin conosuership to a whole new level. Sounds like MT-O #3080 is of great vintage. ;)
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: That Wonderful Collings Aroma (???)

Not related, exactly, but on the new season of American Idol, more than one woman in the crowds went out of her way to mention how good Keith Urban smelled! As a stinky, old redneck, I couldn't help...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Why is it I prefer my beater to my better?

If you like it better, it is the better mandolin for you. Forget the price, forget the name, play what you like.
  15. Replies
    Views

Just Got a New Northfield M: My Oh My

I am lucky to have one of the first M's from the good folks at Northfield, and it's great. I was about to buy it, and my wife intercepted the process and gave...
  16. Replies
    Views

#31 a Blonde Black A4

Here is my first all blonde A4. I think it turned out pretty nice.

Engelmann spruce top and one-piece curly red maple back.
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: What Is Your Favorite Mandolin?

Whatever I'm playing today. Tomorrow a different one. I just took my Weber Gallatin "sopranolin" out and played at our little Tunes By the Tracks concert series, so it's my favorite for this week....
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: "Art Fund" for Musical Instruments

Policy Wise , Rather than the Professional Orchestras , a restoring funding to budgets for music in schools should come first..
  19. Replies
    Views

The article had this question:

" If more string players cannot afford good quality instruments, will UK and European orchestras lose their pre-eminence on the world stage, as more instruments...
  20. Replies
    Views

I am helping a high school student restore a cheap banjo. It was broken and someone tried to fix it with gorilla glue and did a terrible job. We got it apart and are going to fix it for him to play....
  21. Replies
    Views

Yep, I guess that's why everyone that doesn't play a Lloyd Loar Gibson sounds like crap - they just aren't spending enough and need a wealthy benefactor/bank to provide one. The preciousness of the...
  22. Replies
    Views

The very idea of a music fund is itself elitist, and also a complete waste of money. As Shaun points out, they should invest in new builders - they would get much cheaper, better quality instruments,...
  23. Thread: Pava Knesevic

by Tommcgtx
    Replies
    Views

Pava Knesevic

Saw this on Facebook from Ellis, thought I'd share it here:

http://www.themandolinplayer.net/pava-knesevic
  24. Replies
    Views

Jacobson Nautilus Black Tie Special

Here's a new one I just sent to cafe member Mike, who was very patient during the first, second, and third finishing processes this instrument went through. Turns out ziricote is a finicky wood to...
  25. Replies
    Views

Succumbed to MAS: New Weber

I have been wanting an oval hole for a while. Got this Weber Gallatin A Oval delivered yesterday. More detailed review to follow when I get the time.

http://youtu.be/IRblaZuqCxc
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4