1. Replies
    Views

Trip to Skye

Here's my solo mandola take on John Whelan's tune "Trip to Skye."

https://youtu.be/G1rBPDKWi8k
  2. Replies
    Views

Paddy Fahy's No. 6 (jig)

I love the way Paddy Fahy often plays around with the modality of his tunes, typically by messing with the 3rd and 7th scale degrees. (The 7th, in the case of this particular tune.)

Thanks for...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Irish Mandolin Recordings

No need to go to Facebook, folks. Colin's YouTube channel also features his output. See https://www.youtube.com/@colinbotts
  4. Replies
    Views

I'm not sure if you're looking for just professional recordings like CD's and vinyl but some of the new ones I've been following are from:

Janis Burns & John Doran,
    Tijn Berends,(bouzouki) ...
  5. Replies
    Views

The daddy of all 'Irish' mandolin recordings must be Dave Swarbrick's 'Rags, Reels and Airs' LP of 1967, since reissued as a CD. Not all mandolin but plenty of great Irish mandolin stuff on there...
  6. Replies
    Views

Another good Marla Fibish mandolin album is one she did with Jimmy Crowley on bouzouki and mandocello -- The Morning Star.
  7. Raffaele Calace Mandolin Virtuoso Bolero Rare 78 rpm

I came across this while doing some research and thought how amazing it was to be able to be able to hear the man himself. There are so very few of these gems. Nice little bio also.:mandosmiley: ...
  8. Gertrud Troster, Jiro Nakano sheet music

I so much enjoy listening to Gertrud Troster's CD Nakano: Jewels for the Mandolin that I just wanted to make sure people were aware that music for these pieces is available on the SheetMusicPlus...
  9. Carlo Aonzo's L'Italia dei 1000 Mandolini starts this Saturday

This is from an email news blast from Carlo. Rather than attempt to make a news article out of this simply posting it here.

It's word for word so in his voice:

Here we are! Finally...
  10. Replies
    Views

Torna a Surriento (arr. Evelyn)

Ernesto de Curtis (1875-1937): Torna a Surriento (Come Back To Sorrento)
    Arranged by Evelyn Tiffany-Castiglioni

This is one of the classic Neapolitan songs, recorded by everybody. Somewhat...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Vintage Gibson oval hole

They vary, but the good ones really are amazing sounding. I own five (yeah, I know), and my favorites are a 1921 A and a 1920 A, followed closely by a 1909 A. The 1909 has a narrower fingerboard than...