Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: JazzMando Outrage!

Keillor's singing is obviously not professional and boring to some. But maybe his singing and certainly his humor (his writing) made PHC what it's been. He's why people listened to the show. ...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin blues/artists

Hope this new info. Those interested in blues and the mandolin might be interested in these two items.

1. Google PRX Blues Unlimited #165: Wind City Mandolin for a two-hour show on the mandolin in...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin blues/artists

StuartE,

Thanks for your post. The mandolin site has a great interview with Johnny Young. Anyone interested in his music should listen to (besides Chicago/The Blues/Today) this cd: *Mandolin...
  4. Replies
    Views

Belated Wises to Norman Blake

Happy birthday a day late to Norman Blake. I hope he keeps writing for and performing on the mandolin.
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Anyone know the name of this tune?

Memory, don't fail me now. I think it's Kenny Baker's "Roxanna's Waltz." Baker started it in C and then shifted to A, at least that's what I remember.
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: #14 The Black A4

Jim,

I have Mike's A2-Z 25 and feel just as you do. Mike's work is wonderful--thanks for your post.
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: #14 The Black A4

Nick, my experience playing with other instruments is very close to yours. My A2-Z #25 makes itself heard among with four or five instruments and while keeping an oval sound. Mike's work is...
  8. Re: Are Gibson Sam Bush strings being discontinued?

But will Gibson let Bush himself know if the strings are discontinued?:))
  9. Replies
    Views

Mike Black A2-Z #25

Recently I've become the caretaker of one of Mike Black's newest mandolins, and I wanted to post this to describe it and say how happy I am with it. It's stunning. I've asked Mike to post his...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Ira Louvin's mandolin 1961

$4,666.?! A clever price! I've also heard Martin allows the total on credit--payment is due later.
  11. Re: Collings MF O (oval hole), who has one/thoughts of it

[QUOTE=dang;1307643]I have an MT2O that I custom ordered from Collings. I am also a Weber owner, I have a Weber Bighorn and used to have a hyalite oval. The hyalite wasn't bad, but it was just ok. ...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Open A F-chop

Hope you're also learning (or have already learned) OJC in A, which many fiddlers want to play in tune in. Besides, it'll be handy to play the tune in two keys.
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: The tune for Cherokee Shuffle

Thanks for bringing in Tommy Jackson to this discussion. Two things interesting differences between his recording and the versions I hear in jams: he plays the second part of the tune only once;...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolins in Chicago?

I hink you've got it exactly. The number of mandolins in any store (except for obvious exceptions) is going to be very limited. I've been to Guitar Works in Evanston four times and found from five...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Old Picture of The Band

Jerry "Ish" Penfound, the saxophone player for Levon and the Hawks
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: What would YOU do?

If you really can't take your mandolin with you (you don't have a really cheap second mando or your flying, etc.), you no problem. Lots of great examples are here already. Besides, would you really...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Guitar Center Visit

It doesn't take "Zen-like mastery" to understand or respond to the question asked. The "very essence of things" wasn't anything we'd been asked to consider, discuss, or respond to. It's great that...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Finally got a mandolin!

Allen has give you a great process. If no one plays mandolin in your area, try having a guitar player tune the mandolin
  19. Re: Nice Interview with R. Crumb, mandolin player

Recommended (and inexpensive) if you haven't seen them: Crumb's three sets of playing cards of old-time, blues, and jazz musicians.
  20. Re: Traditional Kentucky Fiddle Tunes for the mandolin?

Also recommended are *Traditional Fiddle Music of Kentucky* Vols. 1 and 2 (Rounder CDs 037 and 0377). 39 and 38 performances, many by the fiddlers in Titon's book. Obviously no notations or tabs...
  21. Re: Traditional Kentucky Fiddle Tunes for the mandolin?

Eric, you might try Jeff Titon's *Old-Time Kentucky Fiddle Tunes*, which was published by the University of Kentucky in 2001. This contains notations of 170 tunes. Some are well-known ("Turkey in the...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Guitar and Mandolin Duos

The Louvin Brothers
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: New Fiddle Tunes

Sounds like a new fiddle tune to me (despite the math of the matter). Love it. Keep writing more.
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Norman Blake these days?

Mike, thanks for mentioning this cd since it contains the little-known "El Paso Waltz." I think this was the Blakes' and James Bryan's first recording of this tune, which they played years ago. ...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Round Midnight

Wonderful version of this tune on Turtle Island String Quartet's *A Love Supreme: The Legacy of John Coltrane*.
Page 1 of 2 1 2