Search:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Monroe Style

I think Mike Compton knows more about Monroe style than anyone.
  2. Re: Some of Norman Blake's Instruments up for sale at Carter Vint

Norman had a transient ischemic attack, often described as a mini-stroke back in 2012. He was back to recording and playing live in about 6 months from what I recall. He has released albums of his...
  3. Re: Norman Blake's Instruments up for sale at Carter Vintage

Nancy finally figured out how many he had.
  4. Re: What's Your Favorite Instrumental-Mandolin Album?

Norman and Nancy Blake ( with Peter Ostroushko, James Bryan, Carl Jones, Larry Sledge) "Natasha's Waltz"
    Joe Weed "Waltz of the Whippoorwill"
    John Reishman "Walk Along John" - think someone already...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: What's Your Favorite Instrumental-Mandolin Album?

Not many old time suggestions, but lots of good mandolin stuff. Mandolin wasn't as common in old time music as other instruments so its more difficult to get old time mandolin playing. Not...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Black Friday

Here are some additional shots complete with vintage appropriate pickguard:

And Mike posted a YouTube video as well:

XUlArh1qYbA
  7. Replies
    Views

Happy Birthday, MandolinCafe.com!

Happy Birthday!

November 18th, 1995!
  8. Re: Tiny Moore Music (mp3s), as well as other rare jazz mandolin

Paul Glasse is so great! I just transcribed two of his solos from one more night and I've been listening to him constantly.
  9. Re: Bill Monroe's Lloyd Loar Mandolin #73987 Returned Post-Repair

On the first section of the tape it is Charlie playing. His sound was very distinctive. There were two Loars that came in at the same time. Bill's favorite is well known, but the second seems to be...
  10. Lawrence, Kansas - Mandolin Center of the Universe!

Course we already knew that. Nice story here:

http://www.lawrence.com/news/2015/aug/16/mandolin-mecca-tracing-lawrences-decades-long-love/
  11. Replies
    Views

Gibson changing its course

If someone else has posted a link to this, forgive me. I just saw it.
  12. stolen stradivarius violin recovered after 35 years

https://www.yahoo.com/music/s/stolen-stradivarius-violin-recovered-35-years-093759462.html

I guess everybody can chime in on the insurance aspect. :mandosmiley:
  13. Re: Frustrated at Bluegrass Jams - Turn the Volume UP!

Suggestion: speak up! If everyone's playing at top volume and you can't hear your own notes among the general cacophony, you might just say, between songs, "Hey guys, I'm having trouble hearing my...
  14. Re: Frustrated at Bluegrass Jams - Turn the Volume UP!

Jammers need to be educated regarding the fact that if you cannot hear the instrument designated to be taking the lead, you are playing too loud! Go forth and teach the world! I think it is okay to...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: JazzMando Outrage!

I'm thinking he's referring more to his singing voice rather than his speaking voice. While his singing is not the best, his knowledge and understanding of good music has brought us many years of...
  16. Re: Lost and found 1916 Gibson F2 - Need input

This happened to me once. I bought a distinctive small shop builder mandolin from a local picker (who I did not know). He provided a bill of sale, ID, etc. I called the builder to get more info on...
  17. Re: Gil, Dude, Brentrup, Duff, Stanley, Collings, Pheonix, & Brun

Posted what twice? Your YouTube link didn't show up in this post...
  18. Replies
    Views

What a Virzi looks like

I know that most of you have seen a Virzi, but Mike Black just sent me a couple of photos of my A2Z in production. Here is a great shot of the sides and sound board, turned upside down so that the...
  19. Replies
    Views

New Blues Mandolin album - preview track

Hi Folks,

We will be releasing my twelfth album and this the fourth one featuring blues mandolin, this time as a band effort, with Bert Deivert & Copperhead Run. "Blood in My Eyes for You". You...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Belated Wises to Norman Blake

Thanks for posting this Randy....Norman Blake is one my favorites. I listen to his music almost every day.

Happy Birthday....Mr. Blake
  21. City Winery Chicago 3/16 - Andy Statman and Tim O'Brien

Sorry if this is not appropriate or if it has already been posted. I'm a little slow about these things. I just noticed this show from a City Winery Chicago email....
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Bridging Mandolin to Fiddle

I played guitar for twenty years before I picked up a mandolin and I played mandolin fifteen years before I started to learn to fiddle...... I read all of the above posts and there really isn't much...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin blues/artists

Rich Del Grosso is a performer, scholar, and instructor of blues mandolin. He's written a book on The Mandolin in the Blues

Jim Richter is an outstanding blues and rock mandolist and runs a summer...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: GHS Bobby Osborne Signature Strings

I agree with Alan N about Bobby Osborne's contributions to the art of bluegrass mandolin playing. When he began recording in the early 50s there was nobody who sounded like he did. His break on...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: GHS Bobby Osborne Signature Strings

A 260 goes a little thinner on the D & G 24-38, vs the A 270 a 26-40.. E,A strings same 11-16.

I look at string thicknesses . one guys bronze winding vs another company ?.. how big is...
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4