Search:

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Good picks for beginner

I am pretty sure Blue Chip has a return policy where you can return the pick if you don't like it. I think you have 30 days according to the Return Form here. The same may be true for other higher...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Shane MacGowan has passed (NMC)

That song has been on my mind non-stop ever since I heard his passing. In particular the lyrics from the chorus feels particularly poignant to me:

Take my hand and dry your tears, babe
    Take my...
  3. Re: Flatiron Festival F in Classifieds...

Usually when I see a Flatiron Festival F5 with a bound fingerboard, I just assume it's an import model made overseas. To the best of my knowledge, there is no domestic Festival model (A or F) that...
  4. Re: you sell a banjo and have some spare $ so.......

Congrats Daryl and thanks for the write up. That does answer a question I had as to whether the label on the new F5G is signed or not. These new F5G look great and I'm sure it sounds just as good....
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: USA-made budget mandos, who's who?

I also second Silverangel by Ken Ratcliff. I was playing my Econo model last night and was still blown away by how good a mandolin it is.

Also recommend you check out Weber mandolins, which in my...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: A style, use lefty or righty?

A mandolin with a zero fret still needs a nut to keep the strings in place in their desired spacing. I think most european built mandolins have them (zero frets). Check out some pictures of the...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Sí Beag, Sí Mhór

Beautiful rendition Colin. Bravo.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Montana Lutherie

Couldn't agreed more Bill. Bruce and Mary are just wonderful and exemplary people. You probably remember I have a Silverangel Econo A. I ended up sending it to Bruce a couple years ago and he...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Making Plans for Nigel

I'm embarrassed to say that I have not heard of XTC and missed the references entirely, but it seems that we both know a great tune title when we see one :)

Don't forget to let it acclimate before...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Making Plans for Nigel

Indeed "Making Plans for Nigel" would be a great name for a fiddle tune. Congrats Pat.
  11. Re: Duff A style mandolins, like to hear owner thoughts, some ?

That is some mandolin Daryl. Congrats. When I saw it on ME website I knew it was special.
  12. Re: Can anyone recommend a builder to me?

Another alternative: If what you really after is a traditional F4, have you considered getting an old F4, and then finding someone to put a new radiused fretboard and bridge on it? It may end up...
  13. Re: Duff A style mandolins, like to hear owner thoughts, some ?

Congrats Daryl. I was about to ask if you ended up pulling the trigger on one. I've been watching those Duff on Carter's website myself and would love to hear your thoughts.
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Paypal

And for those of us who normally buy high and sell low: maybe I can even deduct my losses? :)
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: David Surette has passed.

Very saddened to hear this. I thought he was doing better, and was actually hoping to join his online class once he got better. Always loved his playing, but never got a chance to meet him in person....
  16. Re: What Irish/Scottish music do Irish/Scottish people listen to?

I recently discovered TG4 and it's been life changing. They only upload short clips on youtube with links to their own webplayer, which is open to anyone in the world. In addition to Hup there is...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: RIP Nanci Griffith

Hearing the news on the radio really stunned me. So young, and gone too soon. A friend from college introduced me to her while we were in school, and I went through all of her albums on a loop for a...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Raising 12th fret, worth it?

Not local in OH, but you may want to reach out to Bruce Weber in MT to get his input, and consider shipping your mando to him for a setup. I recently sent my mandolin to him, and he completely...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: The end of my playing days.

I haven't really checked in much for the past couple years, and just saw this. Ivan is one of those members I recognize instantly, and I've always valued his input and knowledge on all things music,...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Nyberg Flattop Mandolin Build Thread

Very nice Shaun. Can't wait to see the finished product. A friend had a Nyberg octave in the late 90s and I've wanted one since. Lawrence is the real deal.
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Sierra Hull tour

Just got an email from the local venue that all events are cancelled through 5/10, which includes Sierra's show on 4/21. Super, super bummed. I was so looking forward to it.
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Andrew Marlin's Pick

Interesting. When did Andrew start playing a Gibson? I am so out of the loop. I'm looking forward to seeing Mandolin Orange when they come to town next January.
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: torrefied top MT in the house

That's stunning. Congrats Daryl.
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Pava Mandolins

I've had a lot of mandolins come and go, but I still miss Pava #52. It definitely prefer a 0.016 on the A, and I think that's what they are shipped with. I used a TAD60 on mine primarily as it seemed...
  25. Re: Joining the Girouard club - commissioned a build!

I'm late to the party as I don't check in as often as I used to. Congrats on the new custom build Jill. If you are curious about an F-hole Girouard, you can check in with Sylvan in Santa Cruz and see...
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4