Search:

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Saga AM-10 A-Style Kit...

I think some of these photos are huge so here are reduced versions...

2. Re: "The Loar 700" Re-invent/Rescue and Martin R18 Rescue

It has taken a long time with my extremely tight schedule, but the results are worth it! The Martin has a some minor fret buzz higher on the neck on a couple of strings, but they both sound and play...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Leoswood Armrest

I also ordered one from him a couple of weeks before Christmas. His work looks great and I'm sure it will be beautiful. He finally wrote back and explained the situation, I also wish him the best...
  4. Re: Refinishing a MK: tips, techniques, words from the wise.

Here is a thread that speaks directly to this. A few years ago I refinished my Legacy O model. It is an earlier instrument made in Korea so I'm not sure what finish they are using now but this older...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Barney Kessel jazz lessons

My Bass playing Dad, Harry Babasin was a very good friend of Barney's and they played together on many recordings... Thanks for posting!
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Using Cello as a stand up bass ?

My Dad was a pioneer of Jazz Pizzicato cello in the 50s and he did tune to fourths... This is a fun old TV show from the LA area. The intro is very silly but the band is pretty cool! PS, I think...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: What is this Paganoni Mandolin worth?

NFI... This one looks very similar (I think maybe the same model) and apparently sold at this published amount... maybe in 2009? I guess this one was owned by Doyle Lawson which probably increases...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Left Handed Hogwash?

Blues guitarist Doyle Bramhall II (has played with Eric Clapton, Stevie Ray Vaughan and many others), plays (amazingly well) left handed but on a right-handed and right-strung guitar.
  9. Re: Poll - what musical style do you primarily play on mandolin?

Songs I write, songs I like...
  10. Re: "The Loar 700" Re-invent/Rescue and Martin R18 Rescue

Hey MysTiK! Thanks, that Martin is quite amazing, it is for my son and he wants it finished with a sunburst but I'm going to try and keep it lighter so you can see the grain in the dark areas.

For...
  11. "The Loar 700" Re-invent/Rescue and Martin R18 Rescue

I've been working on a '34 Martin R18 for over a year now and it is coming together nicely. When my son found it it was a basket-case. The neck had jack-knifed into the top destroying the neck block...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Dawg Picks Revisited

If you don't like them, don't use them. I like them, I use them. I don't play Bluegrass. I play a fusion of Jazzy-Folk Americana, and they provide a palette of tonal variety and subtle control for my...
  13. Re: Am I missing the "point" about the Dawg-type picks?

I suppose it depends what sound quality you are pursuing. For my style of playing I prefer a round smooth Jazzier tone like Dawg and yes, I do use these picks. You can get a loud but mellower sound,...
  14. Re: Pagan test video and tribute to the late Alistair Hulett.

Peter, your instruments sound great, beautiful tone. This recording is wonderful I love it! It reminds me of Fairport Convention... Will this be released some time, or is it primarily to demo your...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: And the winner is...

I think the top has Bear-Claw markings in the grain, not bad necessarily, actually kind of cool.
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Starting out: Mandolin or Ukulele?

However, it does need to be said that mandolin is totally, decidedly, undeniably freaking awesome!!!
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: 1924 F-5 Master Model Mandolin

I think we're all hoping for Grateful Grandson to come back and talk to us, or show up on Pawn Stars, American Pickers or Antiques Roadshow!!
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Lawrence Smart F style Mandola

Really nice recordings!! Love them!
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Martian folk music

Martian Folk Music... This is what I'm talking about!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSQYzLbTCLA
  20. Replies
    Views

Saga AM-10 A-Style Kit...

I had fun this last weekend. For months now I have been working on a 1934 Martin R-18 archtop guitar with and for my Son (It is coming out great BTW!). Been anxious to get back to mandolins and while...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Bizarre F-5 sighting...

Ha,ha,ha, I didn't know it was a quiz, and I don't exactly know the answer to the second question. Looking at it, it looks very Gibsonesque, but the scroll seems a little open to me, and Gibson's...
  22. Replies
    Views

Punch Brothers on NPR

On the way to work I was listening to NPR Morning Addition, and there was a very nice piece on the Punch Brothers, featuring Chris Thile's mandolin playing and genre-hopping creativity. Very cool to...
  23. Re: NPR Tiny Desk Contest - We're on NPR Tumblr!!

Very Cool, good song, the mandolin sounds great, thanks! I grew up in the Valley and went to Poly H.S.!
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Who's The Oldest?

That reminds me of a Bonzo Dog Band quote... "Hey, you got a light mac? No, but I've got a dark brown overcoat" (loosely translated from the memory, of a 63 year old Perry)
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: curly firewood... again

Burns kinda woody, very dry and throaty. Very balanced flame, with good heat along the midrange...
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4