Search:

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Jerry Garcia, Days Between, Watkins Glen, And Stuff

I was there. Most of my memories don’t involve the music, which was ok, but not great. First was the heat amd walking up the hill from town in it with thousands of people. The night before the...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: 2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar!

Lovely guitar and tune. Congratulations.
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: High Quality Short Scale Tenor Guitar?

I have two Herb Taylor archtop tenors, #174 and #205. 21.5” scale, tuned GDAE. I love them, they are powerful, and cut through other instruments quite well. Great sound, wonderful necks, and you can...
  4. Thread: Tenor guitars

by bruce.b
    Replies
    Views

Re: Tenor guitars

Mine are Herb Taylor archtop tenors. I love his archtops, they have a unique, beautiful, powerful tone, and play great. His neck attachment is smart. I took the neck off just to see how to do it,...
  5. Thread: Douglas fir

by bruce.b
    Replies
    Views

Re: Douglas fir

I lived about a block away from where that was. I often stopped there and tried to imagine what it looked like. That area is completely different now, but was a nice place to live. The trailhead to...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Light vs. Medium vs. Heavy Picks

I think that’s a ridiculous argument. It’s all about what tone and feel you prefer.
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: What's The One That Got Away?

I kind of wish I didn’t sell my Fletcher tenor guitar. My Herb Taylor archtops are better guitars in every way, but the Fletcher had it’s charms. It was such a pretty instrument.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Sawchyn for a newb?

That is already selling for an excellent price. If it was me and you tried to haggle down an already great deal I’d just say I’ll sell it to someone else and move on.
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Gypsy jazz tenor guitar at modest price point

http://www.earnestinstruments.com/selma-acoustic-tenor-guitar/
  10. Re: Joining the Girouard club - commissioned a build!

Wow Jill, this is a forever mandolin. I just listened to the two tunes you put on Utube and it sounds as good as it looks. It sounds fantastic! Great playing too!
  11. Re: Joining the Girouard club - commissioned a build!

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a top as stunning as that! Amazing!
  12. Re: Six strings are just too much! (but 8 might work...)

I love tenor guitars. They are going to be easier on you hands than an OM. I play fiddle tunes on my Herb Taylor archtop and love how they sound on it. Tuned GDAE, same as an OM. Mine are #205 and...
  13. Re: All opinions welcome for Custom Carbon Tenor project!

I think you should pick a builder you like, tell him what you want and let him make most of these decisions. You need to play a fan fret guitar to see what you think. I personally couldn’t play...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Keeping instruments for sentimental reasons

Sell em if you don’t use them. I consider possessions to be boat anchors, they weight you down, so the less the better.
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Tenor Guitar tuned to GDAE, is it worth it?

If the Ibanez body is a lot smaller than the Blueridge I’d be cautious about buying it to tune down to GDAE. It may not handle it well, particularly the G string. i had a Kala that I thought sounded...
  16. Replies
    Views

Astoria, OR TGG June 8, 9.

Anyone else going to the tenor guitar gathering in Astoria, Oregon tomorrow, June 8th? I’ll be there about 10 am, and will be in Gerry Carthy’s Irish trad class at one. I’ll be bringing one of my...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Eastman Violins for Fiddles?

DWC’s post. Second paragraph, second sentence. Beginner violin catagory. The fiddles I mentioned are potential lifetime fiddles.
  18. Re: Surely I am not the first to suggest a MandolinCafe gathering

I’ll go if it’s in the NW. Portland claims it has the most craft breweries of any city. I don’t know if that’s true, but there sure is a lot of them.
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Playing fiddle tunes and hymn melodies

If fiddle tunes are a goal it makes so much more sense to tune it to octave mandolin tuning, GDAE.
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: What Does Bruce Weber Have Planned?

It would be tempting for me to have “The Bruce” on my headstock. B2 also works well since my last name also starts with the letter B.

Thanks,
    bruce
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Next frontier: What's next after Mandolin???

I had a couple of very nice vintage concertinas, but I grew to prefer my Morse Albion. It is incredibly light and feels very agile and responsive in hand. I slightly prefer the tone of concertina...
  22. Replies
    Views

And I'm extremely enamored with concertinas...

You can then join the endless debates of Anglo vs English vs Duet concertinas. The fingering systems for each type are unique and so different...
  23. Replies
    Views

Ages ago I played guitar and flute. Somewhere along the way I also played recorder quite a bit.
    After a long break I bought an English concertina, and then a flute/whistle. Played them for quite...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Specific mandolins for old-time music?

Too bad we can’t hear those bands play. Can’t we send someone back in time to make high quality recordings of them, and many others? Looks to me like the guy in the bottom picture is playing a harp...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Specific mandolins for old-time music?

Looks like the terz guitar needs to be revived for old time. I love the sound of them. Anyone own and play one or play with someone who does? What was commonly played on them in an old time setting?...
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4