Search:

Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: What are the chances that a moderately-priced mandolin sounds

IMHO the chances are about the same as you playing it A+++
  2. Re: What are the chances that a moderately-priced mandolin sounds

There are a couple of ways to look at this. Off shore instruments are probably not put through a rigorous, individual buiiding process, but are designed for maximum quantity, they are going to vary...
  3. Re: What are the chances that a moderately-priced mandolin sounds

There have been a hundred threads on here where someone with (very) limited mandolin exposure declares a cheap mandolin to be "at least as good as a Gibson" or something of that ilk. There haven't...
  4. Re: What are the chances that a moderately-priced mandolin sounds

A++?
    To me, I've heard maybe 5 or 10 mandolins that I would grade as A++, and none of them were moderately priced factory instruments (although some are rather old factory instruments that were...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Is anyone else scared of Bill Monroe?

Bill Monroe pictured with a Suicidal Tendencies bumper sticker is pretty cool.
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: The Traveling Pick Sampler - Anyone Interested?

Updated Lists

Sampler 1

snakehead_a2z
    TX2AK
    Sue Rieter
    menswearhero
    Xavier Soehnlen
    Mark Gunter
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: RIP Charlie Robison

Before Bruce and Kelly split up they were living in our neighborhood in Austin. We'd see them in the corner Mexican restaurant all the time with the kids.

Used to hear Charlie gig around town...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Another Man Done Gone

Geez, maybe I'll start another thread called "Garth is Alive."
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: String advice sought

About six weeks ago I started a small test to find out whether I really preferred phosphor bronze or 80/20 string sets, whether I liked light gauge (12-53) or medium gauge (13-56) gauge strings and...
  10. Replies
    Views

OP, dislike changing strings? Thomastic flatwounds are for you. They can last for years without breaking and without changing tone (they start dull, they stay dull. brightness and sparkle comes from...
  11. Replies
    Views

Chris Thile jam camp

This is life changing. The energy level is off the charts. The artists are are incredible and exchange of information and ideas is like standing under a waterfall. The music never stops I just...
  12. Replies
    Views

Obviously there are personal variations that affect string life, as well as one’s perception of “warm” tone, but I had very long string life and what I considered a smooth, non-sizzly tone from GHS...
  13. Replies
    Views

I like D'Addario XS strings right now. Been using them for a bit over a year now on both mandolin and guitar. Been using coated strings of one type or another on guitars for a dozen years or so, and...
  14. Replies
    Views

I have to put in another vote for Curt Magnan Phosphor Bronze strings. They last me well and I play off, and on, many hours weekly. Depends on how much I need to work on a fiddle tune. I also like...
  15. Replies
    Views

To answer your two questions:

1. I also recommend Curt Mangan phosphor bronze strings. Being mostly an unrefined and unrepentant caveman, I'm not one to usually notice subtle nuance. But the...
  16. Replies
    Views

Used to be that most string manufacturers bought their wire from Phelps Dodge Whether it ultimately ended up on a mandolin, guitar, piano, whatever it was all called mandolin wire.
  17. Replies
    Views

I would second XS or even XT's.

I have used both. Love em.
  18. Replies
    Views

Stringjoy strings are a new option. NFI. Maybe give them a try
  19. Replies
    Views

I have switched all my mando's to DAddario monels. They have a warm tone and sound the same when you first put them on as the do a month later. Do not have that harsh new sound as many do. I sold my...
  20. Replies
    Views

I didn’t care much for them at first, but the D’Addario XT CM have really grown on me. They are coated strings, so last a long time, and are very well balanced on my Hinde.
  21. Replies
    Views

The D’Add XS (white pack) have lasted me 6-8 mos with daily play. By far, my favorite set but goodness they charge $$$ for them. I, like you, find changing strings as appealing as going to the...
  22. Replies
    Views

Have you tried Curt Mangan phosphor bronze strings? I get the most life out of those strings. They also seem to settle in very quickly and just stay that way for a long time.

I do like the...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: ID Mandolin Player with Steve Goodman 1976

In comparing two images, who wouldn't compare facial features to try to decide if they are the same or different? You thought he looked like Ginger Baker how? Facial features....I'm guessing?
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: THAT Freddie Green tone

I second everything Don said! It really is about touch. Though if we're really talking about FREDDIE SOUND specifically (as opposed to the other equally great rhythm guitarists), I suppose an...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Wayne Shorter, RIP

Great little clip from Wayne Shorter on first working with Miles: "Bring the book...."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk2n8uYjIKU

Mick
Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4