Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Mandolin to fiddle (again)

I haven’t been on this forum for quite some time. This reflects the fact that I’ve been neglecting my beautiful Mandolin also. I’m determined to gain some facility on the fiddle but it’s taking a lot...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: New mandolin hero

Another one even better.

9THW2P5xJAU
  3. Replies
    Views

New mandolin hero

This was posted on the Facebook mandolin group. Holy crap you have to listen to all of his.

ME7OTw9NroQ
  4. Replies
    Views

My first bluegrass camp

I just want to thanks all the folks at Levelland TX for putting on a great camp. Steve Smith and Roland White were very inspiring teachers. The best we’re the faculty concerts every night. I’m going...
  5. Re: Need a new music category for this one....

Nice. That’s why I took up the fiddle too
  6. Replies
    Views

Funny cartoon

The folks in the Facebook mandolin players group shared this video. I love it
    https://youtu.be/Bkdvu5sX-xc
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Old wave luthier

He did tell me a funny story. He makes fake labels and puts them into old double bass instruments He cannibalizes. He stuck one label that said in Italian: made by Alfredo Fetuccini. Showed it to a...
  8. Replies
    Views

Old wave luthier

I just wanted to give a shout out to Mr Bill Bussmann for building my new two point. Hes a fine man and excellent craftsman
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: First Time To A Pickin' Festival

I went to the Santa Fe international folk festival last year in August. Small but good.
  10. Replies
    Views

Mandolin to fiddle redux

Just thought I’d give an update on trying to learn fiddle at 72. Progress has been good. Tunes learned on the mando translated easily to fiddle (they were fiddle tunes to begin with) Everyone in my...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Tougher mandolin

Have not considered a larger case just yet. I’m going to see how the combo of Oasis tube and Dampit works.
  12. Replies
    Views

Ha! Thanks. I had to look that up. I now have torrefication in my vocabulary. I just read where Taylor guitars are heavily into that process. I’m in communication with couple of local luthiers now...
  13. Replies
    Views

Yes, I’ve been doing just that. The oasis tube is the only thing that fits in my tight case and it does not do the job. My house is basically one very large room with tall ceilings. I wish I had a...
  14. Replies
    Views

I bought it in August of last year at the mandolin store in AZ. So it’s been here for 9-10 months. I Left it out at first and that caused the main problem. It’s dry here in Cochiti Lake, NM
  15. Replies
    Views

Sierra again

My apologies to those who have seen this video but I’ve watched it 6 times in the last two days and can’t get enough. The combination of instruments is just awesome.
    https://youtu.be/WpB3yBiJ1Jg
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin to fiddle

It turns out that Eastman makes a line of fiddles that are quite good. The one I bought sells new for 500, but I got it for 185. It needed some minor repairs but it’s a sweet one.
  17. Replies
    Views

Mandolon players group on facebook

You probably already knew this but there is a very large, active, worldwide players group on Facebook. They post the coolest videos. Here is the latest:
    https://youtu.be/gC0OeaBNFbQ
  18. Replies
    Views

Olympic Mandolin player

America’s world champion biathlete is a mandolin player!
    I missed his name during the story, sorry
  19. Replies
    Views

Mandolin to fiddle

At a moment of possible insanity, I figured that I could complicate my life even further by learning the fiddle at 72. I only just started the mandolin 8 months ago. My thought was I could do both...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Song of the mountains

It’s because I put it in the wrong place
  21. Re: Why did you choose the mandolin over another instrument?

My butt is sore from daily kicking myself. Here I am at 72 and finding out that the mandolin is the instrument I am SUPPOSED to play instead of guitar. I took to it immediately about 8 months ago....
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Collings mandolin thoughts?

As a beginner, I went to the Mandolon Store in AZ and played a bunch. I’m convinced that it’s all subjective but I was not convinced that the pac rim instruments were what I wanted. Personally I like...
  23. Thread: Set back

by Cochiti Don
    Replies
    Views

Re: Set back

In order to break a fall I bent 4 fingers back (opposite the way they should bend) on my left hand. I stretched and contorted all the the tendons in my palm. I thought I might need surgery. It looks...
  24. Thread: What the

by Cochiti Don
    Replies
    Views

Re: What the

I ran sound for a jazz program for 9 years. There are things that happen on stage that cannot be reproduced. Good musicians exploring the boundaries is always great fun. More kudos to them. Play on...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: First gig cramps.

Yeah, I figured I'd get a response like this. The deal was that I was never inside for hours on end. It was my event. I organized it.
    I love the weather here in NM. I spent the last nine years in...
Page 1 of 2 1 2