Search:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Left Hand Pinky - to use or not to use?

My previous post: "I think that you have reason enough not to worry about it. Play on and have fun."
    On second thought, remembering a conversation with my doctor, perhaps doing the work with you...
  2. Replies
    Views

Wow, a banjo player with only 1 fretting finger! That's impressive. Usually they have all their fingers but only one tooth.

(Kidding, kidding - sorry, I couldn't resist! Many apologies to the...
  3. Replies
    Views

As the others have said, no worries, just pick it. I once picked with a banjo man who had 1 finger (index) on his fretting hand. He could burn up Bluegrass Breakdown, no problem.
  4. Replies
    Views

Mandograndad,

You might try playing some in second or third positions since doing so makes the frets a shorter distance apart. This doesn't need to be done all the time anyway, only when it makes...
  5. Replies
    Views

Morning Grandad......Playing music is all about enjoyment.I know plenty of musicians in their third quarter who have to adapt to have fun.
    No one should tell you that you Have to do anything.
  6. Replies
    Views

Django played some mean guitar with two fully functional fingers on his fretting hand. He did what you're doing- found workarounds and techniques that allowed him to keep playing. Worked for him!
  7. Replies
    Views

It's much more important for you to be making music than worrying if you're making it in an "acceptable" way. Do the best you can and enjoy yourself.
  8. Replies
    Views

I play OM - an instrument they all say cannot be managed without the pinky - and scarcely ever use the pinky. My pinky is considerably smaller than the other fingers, so I mostly leave it alone (for...
  9. Replies
    Views

I think that you have reason enough not to worry about it. Play on and have fun.
  10. Replies
    Views

While it is cumbersome to start using the pinky and while it is totally possible to play hundrets of tunes in the “open string keys“ D, A , G and C you lose a lot without:
    The ability to go up the...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandocello conversion guitar on Ebay?

thanks for asking, Bernie! Sorry for the quality; iPhone was most expedient, also just about the limit of my technical and photographic ability! Before anyone asks: the work was done by a friend of...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Polish for Nitrocellulose finishes

Here's Weber's recommendation: 2. Gloss Finish
    Many polishes may be appropriate for cleaning our gloss instruments, however you should always test an area first, and we can not guarantee the...
  13. Re: poor volume and sustain on E strings beyond the 14 fret

Another related thought (while agreeing with all those already offered): When you're that high up your left hand position almost inevitably changes because of the much greater reach around the heel,...
  14. Re: poor volume and sustain on E strings beyond the 14 fret

if I need sustain on the higher registers I use tremolo.
  15. Re: poor volume and sustain on E strings beyond the 14 fret

Thats normal, as stated above, its simple physics.
  16. Re: poor volume and sustain on E strings beyond the 14 fret

Unless you are saying that the sound is much louder and sustained at the 13th fret and suddenly drops off markedly at the 14th, the answer is physics. All acoustic instrument's volume, including...
  17. Re: poor volume and sustain on E strings beyond the 14 fret

14th fret? I never get up that far so I have no idea if any of my mandolins sound different up there....I have to agree with Ken that it is propably because the frets are closer together and it is...
  18. Re: poor volume and sustain on E strings beyond the 14 fret

Three of the many possibilities:
    If the fretboard humps up slightly where it transitions from the neck to the body, you could be getting some interference from the higher frets, not enough to...
  19. Re: Adding a small pickguard/fingerrest to a new The Loar LM-700-

I get quite a few requests for pickguards on the LM-700 (I did one just last week):

You will want to either get one with the correct color of binding, or stain it to match. A light coat of vintage...
  20. Re: Adding a small pickguard/fingerrest to a new The Loar LM-700-

I can't see how it would decrease the value of your instrument. Especially if it prevents damage to the top of your instrument. You might even enjoy the right hand reference a pickguard provides.
  21. Re: Adding a small pickguard/fingerrest to a new The Loar LM-700-

I don't think it will alter the value of your instrument as long as it is well done and if you like the look it is a way to personalize your mandolin. I would drill the holes and mount it in the...
  22. Re: Differences between The Loar LM-600 and The Loar LM-700

While I have not played a LM700, I do own a LM400 (my second) which, like the 700, is built without any tone bars. The sound is definitely in the 'modern' camp with a bit more bass. It also has...
  23. Re: Differences between The Loar LM-600 and The Loar LM-700

I have played both the 600 and 700 side-by-side. The differences are not night-and-day by any stretch of the imagination. They are more similar to one another than they are different.

With that...
  24. Re: Differences between The Loar LM-600 and The Loar LM-700

These "Loars" to compare is tough because you could have a great 600 and a poor 700 in one store and in another store have a great 700 and a poor 600. Go to another store and there might be a great...
  25. Re: Differences between The Loar LM-600 and The Loar LM-700

Tonebars are used to direct spread sound out over the top as it vibrates. The top plate is graduated and carved with this in mind. Typically, tonebars on an F-style instrument are not structural...
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4