Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Thread: B7b9

by Don Stiernberg
    Replies
    Views

Re: B7b9

assuming the B7b9 leads to the Em as in Autumn Leaves, that voicing that is effectively a diminished chord is what you want. Alan's voicing puts the b9 pitch on the bottom. Remember that the...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Lester 'Road Hog' Moran

Well hell, we need us some Roadhog!

FPMbzjunjIQ
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Kenny Baker on mandolin

I interviewed Kenny Baker way back in 1986 for The Mandocrucian's Digest (Issue #4, Jan 1987). He mentioned that he had recorded a mandolin album, but out of deference to Bill Monroe, not to put it...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Chord fingering question

I'll use one finger to cover two strings regularly. With the two Am chords you asked about, you could..

Grab the A and E on the second fret of the bottom two strings with your first finger....
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Fixing the Flying Fingers!

I'll third the idea of keeping fingers down when ascending/descending the fingerboard. The pickers who do this are the ones you say 'they make it look so easy' when you see them pick. Butch was a...
  6. If you dont know about mandozine.com, you should

Im sure ALOT of you know about it, but im startin this thread to alert people just starting out on the mandolin like me about how useful it is.

Not only does it have a GIANT database of tabs that...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Bill Monroe makes the grade...

I think Berlatky wanted to select a very early and a very late example from each performer's career, to sort of "bookend" their music.

Lots of musicians with lengthy careers; I thought of Jesse...
  8. Re: who says you HAVE TO have an f-style for bluegrass?!

Nobody.
  9. Re: Which came first: The Church Modes or the Klezmer (Jewish) Mo

I'm not sure I 100% understand what you're saying, but I think you're assuming that Klezmer is somehow original, authentic Jewish music. There are a couple of problems with this. First, as with all...
  10. Re: Please tell me I've got enough to sound 'bluegrass'

I asked a question, hoping to understand your point about Grisman. I was obviously not offended, but confused, by this example. I did not express an opinion and I didn't try to prove anyone wrong....
  11. Re: Please tell me I've got enough to sound 'bluegrass'

You know, this is why so many discussions get so balled up. Bill you have so many excellent points, and Swamp has a good point. Besides everybody's opinion on what exactly bluegrass is, there's...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Reliance on scales

Dear Drum58,
    You needn't worry about overplaying scales in your improv because you spend a bit of time learning, and learning them is definitely the thing to do.The fact that you pose the...
  13. Re: Minor scale selection for BG Jam solo improv- FFcP

After some more thought, I think you're correct that most bluegrass tunes do go with the natural minor. I was trying to find some examples that use the harmonic minor, but all the ones I came up...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Living on his fathers name

Yes I would agree.......ah would Bill have played that clean but then I think some of the mojo would have been left behind.....Ronnie is like a Bill but oh so refined in his execution.....all the...
  15. Replies
    Views

Hey now, hey now...what about Ronnie and Rob McCoury?
  16. A Wonderful Pic Of Frank Wakefield, Johnny Cash, and Bob Dylan...

Merry Christmas, all...

A copy of Robert Hilburn's new biography of Johnny Cash was under the tree this morning, and low and behold, this great pic...
  17. Replies
    Views

I don't think he is a hater, he is just expressing his opinion.
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Civil War Songs

Apparently yes:

3jKEuBdvKyw

And he sang it in all three keys.
  19. Replies
    Views

Herschel Sizemores advice

I bought his Rebecca lesson (and other songs) dvd awhile back and on that dvd he mentions how he would sometimes spend hours tweaking a mandolin to bring the tone out. I think he even said a whole...
  20. Replies
    Views

I Want to be Happy Homer and Jethro

So I asked noted musician John Eubanks to chart out the mandolin part for "I Want to be Happy" from the Homer and Jethro Catalog. He did an amazing job and charged a very reasonable price. He's...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: pawn shop score?

I hate to have to be the one to do this...

But look at what I came across:

https://www.gear-track.com/instruments/344
  22. Replies
    Views

2 Bill Napier Videos on Youtube

Here's 2 videos I uploaded of Bill Napier playing the mandolin....I have more on my youtube channel of Bill playing the guitar, but since this is mandolincafe, I thought these 2 would garner the most...
  23. Thread: Playing in B

by AlanN
    Replies
    Views

Re: Playing in B

And just one note about capo use here (where is that poor horse...). Yes, a capo can surely be used, may make some of the chords easier to grab/sound, provides for string ring, etc., but....the...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Bill Napier Recordings???

Bar none his most famous one from the Stanley's version of his "Daybreak In Dixie". It set the bar so high back then. I think he picked it on a 50's F12. Still holds up today.
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Jethro and friends

Hey, a decent copy of that show at last! A terrific New Year gift to all mandolinists and fans of Mr. Burns and Mr. Stiernberg.

A fine version of "Jethro's Tune", for sure...

Jethro said they...
Page 1 of 2 1 2