Search:

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Willie Nelson’s Bluegrass Album

I was only born in 1980, so am clearly not a qualified enough follower to comment on the earlier periods, but I cut my teeth to Willy and the “Outlaw” Country gang (mostly the Highwaymen singers and...
  2. Replies
    Views

I liked it, but I was not expecting Willie to suddenly sound like the Stanley Brothers or Flatt and Scruggs.
    Willie is country and has a very distinct style, so no matter who he is pickin' with...
  3. Replies
    Views

FWIW, I thought Rob Ickes was a standout instrumentally on the album. I've only given it a listen and a half, so maybe I missed something, but he stood out to me.
  4. Replies
    Views

I get what several of you are saying about the technical use of the term “bluegrass”. However, I like good music and I love it played with string band instruments. It’s just a good record. I like a...
  5. Replies
    Views

Homer And Jethro "Take The A Train"

A little morning magic...:mandosmiley:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBZn4S9S2CU
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: I can’t find The Blues in my Mandolin

Greg:

I have a dozen or more YouTube videos where I play solo mandolin on a variety of blues standards. Enter my name in YouTube - Sam Lyman - and the videos will magically appear :). There is...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Unusual Instrument at a Jam

i think it might be time to dust off my tuba and start practicing some bluegrass tunes.

I started off saying it as a joke, but now I kind of want to... bonus that I can actually read music on the...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: playing tenor and mandolin

Guitar, bass, OM, mandola, mandolin; they’re all different. I just get on with it!
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Jack Tottle's book

Bought it in college in 1978 or so, taught myself mandolin with it. At one point, after much painful brute force practice, I could play a passable, but sedate, version of the cross-picking Home Sweet...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Brandenburg Concertos

#3 on mandolin, mandola, guitar and bass

https://youtu.be/yCkcY-mZ1pc
  11. Replies
    Views

Mandolin Orchestra, Pink Floyd, Shine on…

Been on YT for quite a while now, but can’t find the thread so shine on… Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/w8nZp-LWJss
    https://youtu.be/w8nZp-LWJss
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Illustrated Mandolin Chord Bible

I had the same trouble. The graphic is aligned with the photo, but I couldn't figure out where the nut was either.

A suggestion: the fretboard graphic looks like it's presented as if the viewer is...
  13. Re: Rogue RM-100A A-Style Mandolin on sale today only.

I've edited the link because it appears there is a pretty serious issue with Musician's Friend web site right now. Any link pointing to those "deals" which is a sub-directory below their root (or CGI...
  14. Goichberg Mandocello Studies, No. 1 and No. 15

Sol Goichberg (1908 – 1978) was a major figure in the history of classical mandolin in the United States. Conservatory trained as a violoncellist, he made his well-received concert debut in New York...
  15. Replies
    Views

RIP Barry Harris

The great pianist passed away yesterday. I had the privilege to study with his online weekly sessions for about 18 months. Learned a lifetime worth of material to practice.

He will be missed…
  16. Re: Help with "Mama Was a Truck Driving Man" chords

Chords are I IIIm VIm.
  17. Replies
    Views

I pulled out my Tenor guitar for this one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FANwkjrDl7A
  18. Jethro & Steve Goodman "Take Me Out to the Ballgame"

The first 2:30 of this video has some of the most brilliant playing I've ever heard. I didn't listen to the other versions on the video.

I heard this on the public radio station today--didn't give...
  19. Replies
    Views

Todd Phillips Released

Glad to see this obscure Gem of a Gem available , so woody, smoky, and heavy on the Bebop. Some of my favorite string band music ever.

・Todd Phillips (Bass, Mandolin)
    ・Tony Rice (Guitar)
    ・John...
  20. Replies
    Views

Jazz Walking Bass Lines for Mandolin

Hi everyone, I just posted a quick lesson about playing walking bass lines on the mando, something I love to do when I back up someone in jazz music. Enjoy!
  21. Bill Monroe talks about his Lloyd Loar in an interview

I have not seen this interview posted here before...

z26ihbp-5Qw

I wonder what year it was done?
  22. Replies
    Views

Diving Duck Blues

Steve James

https://youtu.be/YrOOtx50zC4
  23. Any atheist / agnostic Bluegrasser's out there?

Greetings,
    I am looking to connect with like minded atheist / agnostic Bluegrasser's. If you are out there please let me know. I have made this request on other forums but it keeps getting...
  24. Thread: Nmd

by Sheila Lagrand
    Replies
    Views

Nmd

Today I spent a delightful hour or so with Brian Farmer, owner of Sun Valley Guitars, our sorta-local MandolinCafe.com sponsor. At the end of our visit, I left my Eastman MD305 with him and walked...
  25. Aaron Weinstein's New Apitius yorkville mandolin

Hi all,

I'm so excited by the new mandolin I just received from genius luthier, Oliver Apitius. In my opinion, there is no mandolin that is better suited to Jazz. And it plays like a dream. I...
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4