Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Are you a mandolin picker?

I am too. Or at least I try to be one however poorly. Growing up my grandfather used the term. And today in my circle of friends jams are referred to as pickin parties.
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Andy Statman in NYC 05/10/18

Sherry, sounds like you had a great time. I think Andy is a tremendous player. Seems like he doesn't get the same love here at the cafe compared to other people. I have one of his method books also....
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: NMD Eastman 515

Dave, congratulations on your new 515.
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Kentucky/Eastman Oval Comparison

I have a Eastman 404. My second favorite to play. Personally I like the sound and feel of it. As Al noted above, the 404 has a different feel (neck) and sound. It is definitely a old sound. Also the...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Practicing and tv

Actually haven't owned a TV since 96. That's when I moved off the grid. Now days, it only takes me 5 minutes of watching to annoy me and be grateful that I still don't own one.
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Lets Talk Eastman Line.

Koalabear, I have 3 Eastmans. I found they fit my hands nicely. Some folks don't agree wirh the shape of the neck. Personally, I would purchase the one YOU like the sound of the most. Then, test...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Song storage

I am a paper person (as well as books). Currently I have 2 binders 1.5 inches thick. I sorta have fiddle tunes in the red one and all else in the blue. Different versions of tunes are grouped...
  8. Re: Real Starter Mandolin recommendations around $400~ range?

Idahotrail, you need to look at the used 404 at The Mandolin Store. At the upper end of your price range and will be properly set up. I have owned a 404 for a while now and find myself playing her...
  9. Re: For the price of a single Harley Davidson...

Folks, the HD guys have the same advice as we do. Buy it used with the extras already installed. I bought my most recent Harley used. Paid 15K for the bike. The builder only made 450 in that...
  10. Re: How do the Eastman Oval Holes compare to the F hoe Mandos?

Soliver, I have a 404 that I just love. Vastly different sound compared to the 305 or 815 that I own. Yet it still has that (for me at least) comfortable Eastman neck. Plus I really appreciate the...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: What do ya'll call your mandos?

[QUOTE=Joey Anchors;1582309]The Eastman MD404 is name "Fiore"

Joey, I named my 404 Cleo Patra. To honor my grandmother.
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Eastman nut width

Payton, I had the opportunity to do a side by side with a Collins. It compared very nice at half the price. I remember the thread about GHS strings. Still have Elixir on the mandolin. Haven't been...
  13. Re: New member - new-ish to Mandolin (already play guitar)

Hi Steve and welcome. As Multidon stated above the vendors he mentioned are all very reliable. I would suggest that you try out an Eastman first to see if you are comfortable with the neck....
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: New to mando: Eastman MD404 or MD805V?

Richard, I have a 404 and a 815. I use them on different types of music and different moods. They both sound nice , just different. The 404 , she is used for ballads, ITM and folk. Has a sweet...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Eastman MD404

I am still using EJ74 strings on my MD404. I found a pick that provides the sound I want and the 74 are available most everywhere. That said I would like to try GHS silk and bronze , I liked them...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: New Mandolin

Probably a variety of picks (shape and thickness) to find the sound you want. Congrats.

Larry
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas to all.

Larry
  18. Replies
    Views

Guitharsis , congrats on your 404. Happy picking. :mandosmiley:

Larry
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Christmas came early!

Better make you get her something special. Otherwise next year ............
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Eastman Mandolin Family

Jsanta , I have a 815V which I acquired from one of the cafés supporters this summer. I was able to compare sound with many other mandolins that day. What I found was this 815V was very close to a...
  21. Thread: Ouch!

by Trav'linmando
    Replies
    Views

Re: Ouch!

Mark, hopefully you will heal quickly.
    Larry
  22. Replies
    Views

Joey I positively love my 404. Not only the sound but the looks to me are right. Other folks have described the sustain (oh yeah) and tone. Eastman calls it 'round liquid tone' ok sure. However you...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: RIP Leon Russell (Part 2)

I heard the news this morning. Sad day for me. I was living in southern California during the 70's and have a memory of seeing him back then. Truly a talented artist. So much of his music over the...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Decisions, Decisions

I had a chance to play a 315 this weekend along with several other mandolins. It did not "wow" me . My MD404 did from the first moment I played it. That said , I am a huge fan of the neck on modern...
  25. Re: Loar lm-400-vs or eastman md305 for newbie?

I have a 305 as well as a 404. Personally I would drive the distance to hear and feel the mandolin. Second a setup is considered a requirement for majority of mandos. My 305 sounds good with EJ74...
Page 1 of 2 1 2