Search:

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Upgrading or authenticity

Thousands of recordings of acoustic stringed instruments have been done with mics, not pickups. Why won't a mic work for you?
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Lutherie as an art form

Roughly 25 yrs ago, I went to the Atlanta College of Art and after 4 years I received a Bachelors Degree in Fine Arts with a Concentration in Sculpture. It's where I learned the basics of...
  3. Replies
    Views

The Sleeping Tune (Gordon Duncan)

This is my version of this beautiful Air...:mandosmiley:
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Oval vs F holes

Here are a couple of videos that show both...

P7iTpyVMs9o

jRiISlRJ4CQ
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Mando (and why to quit callin it that...)g

Loar...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Best Place to Shop For Mandolins

Best bang for the buck in that price range [new] is the Eastman 505 [f holes], the Northfield Calhoun oval hole mandolin [I haven't seen one, but their reputation is good], and the Red Valley EM...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Opportunity to purchase a mando, advice needed.

You'll be better off with Eastman. If you put the money into a 505 series A model, your $1000 will get you a much better instrument than the 315.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Opportunity to purchase a mando, advice needed.

The MK mandolins that I have encountered were all budget grade beginner's models. If you take to the mandolin, you will probably outgrow it in a matter of months.

A new Ibanez M522, which is also...
  9. The Bothy Band to play Celtic Connections!!!!!

https://www.celticconnections.com/event/1/the-bothy-band

I can hardly believe I'm writing this, but the Bothy Band are to appear at Celtic Connections on 22nd January in Glasgow, Scotland.

Matt...
  10. Re: Why do some higher end mandos return to the market so quickly

It seems to me that lots of folks believe a better/different instrument will make them a better player. It never works.
  11. Replies
    Views

Sir Patrick Spens

My take on the Fairport version of this old ballad.

https://soundcloud.com/user-875085466/sir-patrick-spens

Sir Patrick Spens is an old Scottish ballad (Child 58, Roud 41), often told in...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: A couple of new mandolins

Went out to lunch with Graham today on his way home after the convention. We had a nice chat and Graham sampled his first mole negro! I sampled both of these mandolins. He left the Art Deco mandolin...
  13. Re: map of acoustic instrument dealers worth a visit

I think this is a great idea for someone with spare time (the most valuable and rare of resources) to make happen. If I were to use such a map, this is how I would do it: I would see that my trip...
  14. Replies
    Views

Bonny Jean (Castles In the Air)

Here's a lovely air I learned from harpist Kathleen Loughnane. Apparently this tune is also performed as a hornpipe, but I thought her slow version of the tune was brilliant. Here's my solo attempt...
  15. Replies
    Views

Andy Irvine is 81 today!

I'm pretty certain than many of us would probably not be playing Celtic music (and indeed Eastern European music) on the mandolin or bouzouki if it weren't for Andy Irvine. And he seems to be still...
  16. David Surette Mandolin Festival! May 5-7, 2023 in Concord, NH

Hi everyone!

Isa Burke here, daughter of Mandolin Cafe hero David Surette. As many of you know, we lost my dad in December 2021, and my mom and sister and I have taken up the job of continuing the...
  17. The mandolin: Instrument of the year, 2023

This is interesting: the Landesmusikrat Berlin has named the mandolin as its instrument of the year for 2023:
    https://www.landesmusikrat-berlin.de/mandoline-ist-instrument-des-jahres-2023/
    There...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Should I bother?..

Well, I’m 70 and I do shit all the time that I shouldn’t do, so I say go for it! lol
  19. Replies
    Views

Crusher turns 100!

Today I'm celebrating my old side-kick "Crusher" on its 100th birthday. We're both getting up (and hangin' in) there. I made up a new tune for us to play together, "Crusher's Cruise". I'm also...
  20. Replies
    Views

The Banks Hornpipe—Colin Botts

I’ve known this tune for many years. “Known” it, as in I recognize it, and like it a lot. I have little hope of playing it at all, let alone like my friend Colin Botts does in this video. I sent him...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: A Different Busking Question

Why would one give up busking for a day job? In my case it was the lure of health insurance, paid holidays and sick days and working a predictable 5 days a week vs. 7 days a week busking. But busking...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: A Different Busking Question

Humour helps a lot.
    I saw one guy with a whole load of money, bills in his guitar case and it was a windy day so I wondered why he wasn’t concerned that it would all fly away. Then I realised that...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Modern Oval Holes

I just went through the same search after 15 years of F-hole mandolins. I bought an Eastman MD514 because of reputation and price. It has unbelievable volume and tone. Fit and finish are excellent....
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Picking Fiddle Tunes?

Exactly!
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Doug Unger Mandolin??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcM_GfPlV58&ab_channel=DaveyHarrison

Here's a video from the two-point flower pot mandolin mentioned above!!
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4