Search:

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: mandolin tattoos

We just got a text from one of our customers that had the headstock of her mandolin tattoed on her upper arm. Now that's dedication!
  2. Re: Baby Taylor to OM - bridge plate reinforcement questions

Here is how I have done six string conversions - that might interest CeeCee.....

http://i1377.photobucket.com/albums/ah42/sphwoar/image.jpg3_zpscow4pi3d.jpg
  3. Re: Baby Taylor to OM - bridge plate reinforcement questions

Yes, no comparison. Believe it or not, the first example I ever saw for such a bridgeplate repair was on a Martin 1-26 from about 1885. The string balls had pulled through the bridgeplate, then...
  4. Re: Baby Taylor to OM - bridge plate reinforcement questions

Plastic laminate (Formica) comes in two thicknesses. 1/32" for vertical applications and 1/16" for counter tops. The samples at your home center will be 1/16".
  5. Re: Baby Taylor to OM - bridge plate reinforcement questions

Thin normal formica is fine for this purpose. I could mail you some if you like, I have a lot.
  6. Re: Baby Taylor to OM - bridge plate reinforcement questions

I've done this conversion a number of times and it's important to note that the stock bracing for the top is inadequate for the pull of those 8 strings. Martin tenors can take it, but Baby Taylors...
  7. Re: Baby Taylor to OM - bridge plate reinforcement questions

You could order a bridge plate from Stew Mac for not much money. Thickness would be around 1/8". I would not use the smaller piece of brass, that would strengthen the holes, but not the upward pull...
  8. Re: Baby Taylor to OM - bridge plate reinforcement questions

Formica (plastic laminate) scraps can be had from the trash behind your local friendly shop that makes plastic laminate countertops, cabinets, etc. Or you could ask them. ;)

You could also use a...
  9. Re: Baby Taylor to OM - bridge plate reinforcement questions

If you need a small piece of Formica take a trip to your local home store and check out the different brands of laminate used for counter tops (they might not be Formica brand). They have a sample...
  10. Re: replacing tuner buttons 0.135" flat to flat shaft

Grover and Gotoh both use two flats, size I know not but The Mandolin Store sells inexpensive ivoroid buttons that fit the Gotoh's. I believe All Parts carries the buttons for Grovers although you...
  11. Re: replacing tuner buttons 0.135" flat to flat shaft

The metal of the shafts is not that hard of metal and it is easier and quicker filing on the outside of something than the inside. I have, as I posted earlier, done this and it works well. It was 30+...
  12. Re: replacing tuner buttons 0.135" flat to flat shaft

Nope. Sorry. Stew Mac carries the kind that you glue on (for example, Golden Age) and the ones that screw on a perfectly square shaft (Waverly, for example). AFAIK only Gotoh uses two flat, two round...
  13. Re: replacing tuner buttons 0.135" flat to flat shaft

Try Stewart MacDonald….especially if you know the actual brand of tuners you have…. good selection of replacement knobs for several makes of machines. [StewMac has an extensive web site.]
    stewmac.com
  14. Re: replacing tuner buttons 0.135" flat to flat shaft

CeeCee, I don't know the exact measurement but the only machines I know of with two flats and two rounds are Gotoh, unless there is now some kind of cheap knock off of those. Best source for buttons...
  15. Re: replacing tuner buttons 0.135" flat to flat shaft

I have taken the tuners and filed them square to accept other buttons. Sorry I don't know the real answer tho.
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: The effects of salt air

As long as you're not getting sprayed by salt water, the air itself shouldn't be a problem for that short of an exposure time. I would, though, plan on keeping strings clean and oiled just so they...
  17. Replies
    Views

On the Cayamo cruise by sixthman atleast half the passengers bring a guitar, when I've worked that one i always brought an instrument so when i wasn't working i could walk around find a jam ( they...
  18. Replies
    Views

They actually run Bluegrass Cruises all the time with named stars as part of the package. I have yet to go on one but I have several friends that go two or three times a year and have for years....
  19. Replies
    Views

On the whole,salt & metal,especially aluminium,don't go well together. Short exposures shouldn't be a problem,but i'd give the strings a good wipe over if you play on deck,
  20. Replies
    Views

Salt air can do terrible things, i have worked 35 rock cruises as a guitartech , a backline tech and a stagehand and seen some metal just look nasty , but that is from srayiny on the outside top for...
  21. Replies
    Views

When you see an iceberg, take your instruments to the quarter deck assembly point and play one last jam. Salt air won't be a problem. Proved by tests. :cool:
  22. Replies
    Views

I have some redwood from Bruce Harvie which I plan to use for mandolin tops at some point. It was part of a pickle vat for many years, in constant contact with brine. It's nice and solid. Smells a...
  23. Replies
    Views

Scratched metal might corrode, strings might tarnish. The unfinished wood inside the instrument might, over a very long time (many decades) with constant moist salty air exposure, fuzz up and...
  24. Replies
    Views

I wouldn't worry about that. Salt air is very stable in humidity. Strings may tarnish. Not sure about other exposed metal, but I take my Flatiron to the sandy beach whenever I can and it has...
  25. Re: Visiting Seattle and Portland - what to see/do?

Unfortunately Fletcher is no longer in Seattle (as of at least 5 years ago). Too bad, his workshop used to be right across the street from where I work and he was a great resource and fun to visit....
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4