Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Classical mandolin strings?

I personally like Dogal Calace strings, either the RW92b (dolce) which are ultra light or the RW92 (medio) which are a little heavier. I know many classical folks like Thomastik strings (flatwound)...
  2. Replies
    Views

John is correct. Is this a Suzuki perhaps? In that case you can prob do fine with std light gauge strings as opposed to the ultralights recommended for older instruments.
  3. Replies
    Views

In general true, but for a 1965 instrument (who's the maker?) you might get away with slightly heavier strings.

For vintage instruments GHS ultra light (9-32) are usually recommended.
    For...
  4. Replies
    Views

For a bowlback you want the lightest strings possible. An A style can take strings that are a little heavier. Individual players have their preferences, but a lot of classical players like flatwound...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Chris Thile

Sorry. Couldn't take it anymore. Administered Moderator privileges.
    Thread title spelling now corrected.
  6. Thread: Chris Thile

by JEStanek
    Replies
    Views

Re: Chris Thyl

Yes. Chris Thile was the reason I took up the mandolin. I saw them just after the Nickle Creek album first came out. They have two more albums. I wouldn't call them bluegrass. Rather, I would...
  7. Replies
    Views

Chris Thile

I recently got a few albums of Nickle Creak(Creek?)'s music.
    ... all I can say is, wow. I haven't listened to much bluegrass before that, but, after listening to "Ode to a butterfly," as well as...
  8. Re: Best mandolin (or related) festivals?

For mando-centric gathering you really cant't do better than the annual Mandolin Symposium organized by Mike Marshall and David Grisman in Santa Cruz, just over the hill from where you are. Check...
  9. Replies
    Views

The Walnut Valley Festival or Winfield as it is...

The Walnut Valley Festival or Winfield as it is known is where the National Championships is held. Warning: Once you go you will never stop! www.wvfest.com
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Who Plays a Tolley?

I played one at Healdsburg too. I loved it and will probably order in future for my UK store.
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Kentucky vs. Indiana, A vs. F style

No. The scroll and points that define the F-model are solid wood parts of the mandolin's "rims" or sides. The sound chamber of an F-model and and A-model is just about the same. Most people hear...
  12. Replies
    Views

Best answer! This gentleman knows his musical instruments because he sells them for a living. He knows a great deal about the different Asian imports. If you are looking to purchase a Kentucky...
  13. Replies
    Views

as stated, there is no discernable sound difference between an a-model and an f-model mandolin. I think the earlier post misses the mark. There is a big difference between f-hole mandolins and oval...
  14. Replies
    Views

Indiana instruments are the lower level brand owned by the company that owns Morgan Monroe. They happen to be based out of Indiana, but the instruments are Chinese. :)
  15. Replies
    Views

As long as sound holes are the same and the mando is of the same quality (I.e. Kentucky km900 "A" & km1000 "F") the sound and playability will be similar. There will probably be more difference...
  16. Replies
    Views

As has been stated there really is no real difference sound wise between a well made F and a well made A style. They both have their fans and followers. Kentucky is a brand name owned by Saga Music...
  17. Replies
    Views

The brand names, Kentucky and Indiana, are just that - brand names. The Kentucky brand is made in China and the Indiana is also probably made there too.
    There is very little difference between an A...
  18. Replies
    Views

I think Kentucky will have a strong front court, but Indiana will have them on big-game experience, and a better point guard.
    With mandolins, however, I have no experience with Indiana. Can't offer...
  19. Replies
    Views

As for the A-F style mandolins:

A-style's have a fuller tone due to their tear drop shape, and no extra space in the instrument like there is with the F-style. The sound in an A-style resonates...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: 1965 Catania Carmelo

Catania Carmelo is a well-established company in Catania, Sicily. Catania was one of the major instrument making centers in Italy. You can read (in Italian) all about the company here. They made lots...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: 1965 Catania Carmelo

Beautiful mandolin. I have a Carmelo Catania 1953, not the same pick guard inlay, mine is made of Mahogany.
    They have a nice sound. Thanks for posting, good luck with the song:)