Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: National Reso-Phonic RM1 Hot Plate

The hotplate is only in the cover and will not change the sound of the instrument acoustically. It is a good sounding setup, tho I have only heard it on guitars.
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: National Reso-Phonic RM1 Hot Plate

My RM-1 had the hot plate when I bought it used. I am not sure the need for the plug in because it is LOUD even played "acoustically". I have run it into my Carvin amp and the plugged in volume...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: crossrock fiberglass mandolin cases

Jonathan,

Just consider the metal rings anti-theft deterrents, lol. After the Strad was stolen from the lady in London at a cafe while she was distracted by her phone I actually tied some jingle...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Nut Slots Cut Too Low

Just adding a couple of comments. Although I don't use superglue to fill a nut slot, but as mentioned by someone else above, I have found that a full overnight curing of superglue seems to result in...
  5. Replies
    Views

Not that I'm recommending, but just as an example of what can work:

In the late '80s, when I had little knowledge of repair, I filed a friend's Yahama guitar too low. Having NO idea what a...
  6. Replies
    Views

^ this
  7. Replies
    Views

Agreed- and the only way to be sure that it's a permanent fix, other than a whole new nut. The super glue in the slot will probably last years if not decades, as well.

Cutting a nut slot properly...
  8. Replies
    Views

I use the tiniest drop of superglue (just enough to fill the slot) applied with a pin. Works perfectly, you may have to use a nut file to make the groove a bit deeper.
  9. Replies
    Views

My old trick is just use superglue and not much. No baking soda or bone dust needed. Cut a small strip of paper or index card to use as an applicator. Mask off everything else. Just carefully...
  10. Replies
    Views

I would also check that the first fret is not lifting slightly. First I would seat the fret just to make sure. One only side may have lifted.
  11. Replies
    Views

First make sure that the nut slot is actually cut too deep. Often debris from the nut file can remain in the slot and make the string misbehave. Sometimes its just a bit of lint from the polishing...
  12. Replies
    Views

Jonathan, if its playing great and only has that one buzz spot, leave it all alone, don't raise the bridge, as fretbear suggested, loosen the one string, cut and put a very small piece of normal...
  13. Replies
    Views

That's not a good sign, as far as having a luthier with mandolin experience doing your setup. Get Rob M's setup pdf and some feeler gauges and measure everything else: string height at 1st and 12...
  14. Replies
    Views

I use bone filings and CA glue, or whatever the nut is made of. But yes, if you paid someone, take it back.
  15. Replies
    Views

Baking powder and CA glue in the offending slot and refile?
    Did you do the set up? If you paid for it, I’d take it back and let the luthier make it right.
  16. Replies
    Views

A quick and dirty fix is to loosen off the string just enough to get a narrow shard of paper underneath the string. You might have to make a few attempts and position the shim to start a little...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: National RM1 String Action

I lowered my action slightly on mine and also put lighter gauge strings. It is a royal pain to re-string with that tailpiece though I love the look of the hardware on mine.
  18. Replies
    Views

They seem to come from the factory set up for slide.

Lower the action.
  19. Replies
    Views

When I bought mine I had visions of playing searing slide mandolin so left my action a little higher. When I realized I was going to play it without a slide 99% of the time, I lowered my nut action...
  20. Replies
    Views

I also own a National RM1. Those are LOUD, so I think that comfort is the primary concern, not getting more downward pressure to increase volume. Any louder and no one will want to stand across from...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: How To File A Fret

Does the neck have a truss rod? May want to check that too.

And actually, since the issue appears to be around fret 12, there's something else that might also be happening and it's a little more...
  22. Replies
    Views

First make sure the 12th fret isn't loose. Tap on it with a small metal object. The frets should all make a clear "tink". If 12, especially at the end, makes a hollow "tunk" it's loose, and shouldn't...
  23. Replies
    Views

Sounds like you have the right idea. Just need to remove a little bit. I would mark the fret with a Sharpie just under the E strings. I leave it strung up and in tune. Take an emory board that...
  24. Replies
    Views

Blues, Stomps, & Rags #50

Greetings from a house that I'm visiting in the tall and lush woods on beautiful Vancouver Island.

I've by no means run out of blues mandolin players. However, for my 50th post, I'm featuring...
  25. Re: I know that tune... um... how's it go again?

One of my favorite musical hero stories involves Mark O'Conner Sam Bush Bela Fleck Tony Rice Mark Schatz and Jerry Douglas. One year at Merlefest this super group started in on Salt Creek and at the...
Page 1 of 2 1 2