Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. An afternoon picking w/ Andrew Marlin & the Griffith Loar

https://youtu.be/FqcVKoA6ZLs

Thought folks might enjoy seeing photos from an afternoon picking session over at Matt Ruhland's place yesterday (and a truck...
  2. Replies
    Views

Kimble F with new style headstock

a whirlwind month of purchase attempts involving Gibsons, Duffs, Kimbles, and a Randy Wood. here is what has landed.

looks old, feels old, plays like new, svelte and balanced.

1 3/32" nut...
  3. Thread: Kimble F5

by LKN2MYIS
    Replies
    Views

Kimble F5

In keeping with my new strategy of getting rid of a few instruments with the goal of getting one much better one (I have WAY too many instruments), I recently got this:

199344 199345 199346 ...
  4. Replies
    Views

NMD Stanley A5 #68

I actually received Stanley A5 #68 a couple weeks ago and have been getting to know it. The label is signed October 31, 2013, so it's 8 years old today. I guess Chris Stanley decided an...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Frank Wakefield

If you like that stuff,

https://youtu.be/62STufC_EFY
  6. Replies
    Views

Joe K Walsh, Darol Anger and Mike Barnett

Thought I'd share this great video. The fiddle playing is wonderful, but what is also striking is how Joe's rhythm playing really drives the tune...and his solo break is fantastic too

7. watch the smooth glide like action of Mike Comptons fingers

especially at 2:16, his fingers barely move out from the strings and glide from place to place. that to me is amazing efficient playing. sounds just right.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: another "flying with my mandolin" thread

I fly all the time with my mandolin, domestic USA and international. I have never had a problem. I do suggest a sturdy case, and like others have said, get an early boarding spot so that you have...
  9. Replies
    Views

Chris Thile covering 1952 VBL

This was posted today on the Richard Thompson email discussion list:

cPgqb8s-V9g

Martin
    (Founder member of the RT list - going since 1993!)
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Rest in Peace - Glen Campbell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=843tlu1DFA0&index=3&list=RDrqTrVAJU_K8

Probably my favorite recording of this song. Any other favorite Campbell clips?
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: post a video of yourself

Hey all, here's some footage of the band that lets me play mandolin,
    alas I was a bit nervous with the whole camera preserving the song for posterity thing and had a vice like grip on my pick that...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson Snake Head A

Woah-oh, Black Betty, Bam A Lam!

(Sorry, couldn't help myself :) )
  13. Thread: Speed neck

by DataNick
    Replies
    Views

Re: Speed neck

My 94' F5L was "speednecked" by the young phenom who had it before me. His dad is an amateur luthier of sorts, so he tried it as a do it yourself deal. Not clean at all, pretty rough, but I love the...
  14. Thread: Speed neck

by darylcrisp
    Replies
    Views

Chris
    i'm not sure how much the filler stain and finish add to the overall neck size. there is a noticable "step" if you take it down to bare wood where the finish comes back into play. i used the...
  15. Thread: Speed neck

by darylcrisp
    Replies
    Views

more Weber:

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm310/darylcrisp/Weber%20Speedneck/DSC07513.jpg

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm310/darylcrisp/Weber%20Speedneck/DSC07518.jpg
  16. Thread: Speed neck

by darylcrisp
    Replies
    Views

sorry for the delay, busy last couple days.
    here are pics of the Northfield(my first speedneck) and later a BitterRoot F.

Northfield:...
  17. Replies
    Views

To 'speed up'' a neck,you don't even need to remove the top coat of finish,simply remove the 'sticky' gloss. Use an ultra fine wet & dry abrasive paper 2000 or 3000 grit grade,used wet. Mask off the...
  18. Thread: Speed neck

by darylcrisp
    Replies
    Views

i've speednecked my Northfield and a used Weber BitterRoot F that i acquired months ago. I love the feel and look of a speedneck.

Each took around 45 minutes start to finish. I inquired here on...
  19. Replies
    Views

Rich,
    When Bruce built my 2010 Yellowstone I asked for a speed neck. When I got it home I put on about 5 coats of Homer Formby's Tung Oil, it is a wiping varnish. I let each coat dry or an hour...