Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: (Godin A8) Making my mandolin look more ethnic

Guitar skins,a sheet of vinyl printed with an image that you attach to your guitar or mandolin. (AN interenet search for guitar skins will show up more companies and more designs.)

You'll have to...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: C Standard (Guitar) Tuning On Electric Tenor

Dunraven,

It sounds to me like what you are looking for might well be the Eastwood Warren Ellis Baritone Tenor Guitar. It has four strings, tuned in fifths, and is pitched CGDA--with the C a major...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Playing notation G/F#

Make sure you're playing an F# as distinguished from an F natural. A couple of you fingerings have Fs and not F#s.

The note below the slash indicates the desired bass note. So you need to look...
  4. Re: Czech old jazz-swing compositions with Tenor Guitar

Thanks for sharing these. Are these songs from the 1930s (roughly).

Adolph Hofner, a western swing band leader from the 1930s-1980s recorded some songs in Czech and some were from the old...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: A friend needs a Lefty fiddle tune book

Hendrix restrung his guitars, bluesman Albert King played upside down.

According to Gibson:

You’ll see Duane Allman, Mark Knopfler, Danny Gatton, Billy Corgan, Michael Bloomfield, Gary...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Something is missing!

Named his guitar "Lucille" because that was the name of the woman two men were fighting over when they knocked over the kerosene bottle used to heat the joint.

I don't know if he left a guitar is...
  7. Replies
    Views

Poll: Re: Poll: March Jazz tune of the month

I like David's take on "Mack the Knife," though not as much as Sonny Rollins (from his classic Saxophone Columbus album.

https://youtu.be/EcOnhR5zkXs
  8. Thread: Spain

by StuartE
    Replies
    Views

Re: Spain

Looks like it is in the New Real Book Vol 2

Hope you'll make a video of your arrangement/performance and share it here.
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: seeking name of trad klezmer tune

Check out the archives section of the American Routes radio program. There's a playlist for each show, it seems.
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Epiphone Mandola???

I wouldn't be sure that it is a mandola. The seller labels it as "mandola/mandolin" and doesn't provide measurement of body or scale length, just asserts it is a mandola. I'm pretty sure that...
  11. Thread: Eddie Condon

by StuartE
    Replies
    Views

Re: Eddie Condon

most probably Pee Wee Russell on clarinet, legendary player who was the modernists favorite Dixieland player. He performed with Thelonious Monk at the 1963 Newport Festival and was a favorite of...
  12. Re: Oulu Mandolin Orchestra plays Requerdos de la Alhambra

Very nice. You can upload videos to the forum, and not just the link. Look for the video icon, which looks like a film strip.

https://youtu.be/OlcEAv8A-iI
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Coltrane Documentary

On PBS Independent Lens November 6, 2017 10 pm ET (I presume).

Film-makers website has a page listing public screenings.
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: AWESOME "People Get Ready" cover (Sierra Hull)

"People Get Ready" is truly an iconic song, covered by many, and this is an outstanding one. It's easy to assume that it is a gospel song proper, but we ought to give credit to Curtis Mayfield who...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Character over practice?

Joel Embiid of KU and, now, the Philadelphia 76ers, didn't start playing basketball until he was 15.

There are some other late starters. Similarly, there are some musicians who got a late start.
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: How to tune a tiple?

Jaycat,

I'm by no means a tiple expert, but I think the answer is that 3 of the 4 tiple courses have an octave set-up similar in a way to 12 string guitars--octaves on the lower strings (D and d)...
  17. Re: Stores with good mandolin collections in/near OKC

I'm not aware of a music store here in Wichita that carries a wide selection of mandolins.

Closer to you, Oklahoma Vintage Guitars in El Reno looks like they have a good selection.

The Walnut...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Whatr's this six-note scale called?

You could call it (a mode of) D Major hexatonic. Rearranging D E F# G A B D. (See wikipedia.

Another way to look at it is two triad D and E minor. Also the A sus 13 seems viable to me.

Jazz...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Play for free ...

Sounds like you have a very talented and committed son. There's no reason he can't combine music with another career. It's rare, but can be done.

Denny Zeitlin (born 10 April 1938, in Chicago,...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: What is this notation exactly?

Try it as a slide as well.
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: FFcP style of exercise for chords

Ted Eschliman's Jazz Mando site. There are some exercises for Dominant 7 and Minor 7 chords, etc. Also valuable is his Getting into Jazz Mandolin, which has chord as well as single string stuff.
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Nat King Cole E-mando?

Yes.
  23. Re: C Brac (Tamburitza Family Croatian-style tenor guitar)

According to Atlas of Plucked Instruments and String Instrument Database

E A d gg (equals bottom 4 strings of guitar)

It seems to be tuned in fourths rather than fifths.
  24. Re: Natural wood Violin Cello Mandolin Guitar on Ebay

I believe it's a taishogoto, a very popular folk, amateur instrument in Japan, dating from around the 1920s. (Or inspired by it.)Typically it has a couple of drone strings and the rest are tuned to...
  25. Replies
    Views

Gibson Bass Mandolin on Shop Goodwill

A Gibson bass mandolin is listed on Shop Goodwill. Auction closes August 9. More pictures at the site. NFI.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3