Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Article: Mandolin Cafe Announces Launch of Banjo Cafe

Funny day to launch a new website but that, I'm assuming, is the point--keep everyone guessing. I'm a member of Tony Trischka's School of Banjo over at ArtistWorks. I just provided the link to BC...
  2. Re: English Country Dance tunes (David M. Brown arrangements)

Thanks for the ECD arrangements David and for the link to your videos Martin. I look forward to going through the arrangements. Next month I'll be joining an ECD group in Pittsburgh. Today I'm...
  3. 97 Yr old Holocaust survivor and her mandolin

There is a very nice story about 97 year old, mandolin-playing Holocaust survivor Emily Kessler in today's on-line version of the Jewish Daily Forward. The article describes her early life with...
  4. Re: Stan Jay, Pioneer of Vintage Instrument Fame Fighting For His

Buying instruments from Stan and Hap in the early days of the Mandolin Brothers defined my late teens. Living in NY, I would often take the ferry to SI and to the apartment where Stan and Hap had...
  5. Re: Stefan Sobell mandolins and other instruments

Here's a photo of my Sobell mandolin, which I purchased directly from Stefan back in 1976, also from Turf House in Steel. I believe this instrument was the first mandolin he sent to the United...
  6. Re: Ger Mandolin Orch - eleven mandolins onstage in Toronto tonig

Hi Doug,

I'm assuming the mandolin player on this live performance of Shalom Aleichem is Andy Statman. In addition to this YouTube video, Perlman and Statman play the song on Perlman's album A...
  7. Replies
    Views

New Andy Statman Album

I saw today on the Jewish Music list an announcement for a new Andy Statman album, due to be released Oct. 22, 2013. It's called Superstring Theory, on Shefa Records, and features the Andy Statman...
  8. Augusta 2013 Bluegrass Week Staff Performance

Here's a video of a really fabulous performance of Frank Wakefield's tune New Camptown Races played by members of Augusta's 2013 Bluegrass Week staff. Jesse Brock and Alan Bibee are on mandolins and...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: What are some easy klezmer tunes?

The best source that I know of is "Easy Klezmer Tunes: Classic Tunes from Eastern Europe Arranged for Beginners on All Instruments" by Stacy Phillips and published by Mel Bay in 2003. The book's...