Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Seeking tailpiece for old bowl back

Thanks for the info, friends.

Yes, still in Philly - doing a little instrument repair work around the edges of my full time regular work. It's more of a hobby than a vocation for me, but I'm...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Lawrence Nyberg OM Build Thread

Stunning. thanks for posting!
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: The Thile Solo Bach Tour - Live, Fall of 2013

I was at the Philly show last night too - and echo everything Jamie said.

There are few musicians with his range of genres, inventiveness, technical skill, expressiveness and charm as a...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: ShortScale Octave mandolins

bratsche - you can get flatwound chrome acoustic guitar strings and put them on the Baby Taylor OM conversion. I did that with my 20.5" B.Dean OM and it worked nicely. Different tone... not 100%...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Correct Fingers

And hey, Charlie-
    Some of my best friends are jerky players! ;)
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Strap for bouzouki - no strap buttons

re: the endpin-- is the jack flush with the body of the bouzouki? Or does it stick out? If it sticks out (as have most I've seen), you can use that as the endpin to attach a strap -- although you...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Builders for an event

ok, it took me a little too long to look in Walt's profile to figure out that we're talking about Maryland.

I'd make the trip down from Philly, schedule permitting. Although I have built a...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Strung out but in the pink.

Lovely.
    re: finish - I say keep it as natural as possible. the woods are beautiful all by themselves and the work looks clean so no need to hide anything behind a stupid burst (I hate most bursts)....
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin prices

Agree with most of what's been said here but especially want to echo Mandobart's statement. Pancake/flat mandos are relatively less expensive b/c the building process is simpler - and they are...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: For all you wanna be builders - A new kit.

I think it bears saying that different learners have different ways of learning, as well as different background experiences and skill sets, access to equipment and available time. I admire those...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: mandola newbie

I think your use of the word "translate" is very apt. I find playing different instruments is like learning different languages. Each has syntax and poetics of its own, even if the alphabet is the...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Student Looking for Mandolin!

Sophie -
    I strongly suggest you consider looking at A-shaped mandolins - you will get more quality for your dollar, and for $1000 you can get a very decent new or used instrument. The scroll is...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: New mandolin - push-back from spousal unit

As an aside -- I can't help but notice 3 things.

1) The OP did not post this as a whining "my spouse won't let me have what I want!" post. She listed the good reasons her SU had given for having...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Suggestions for Mid-priced Octave Mandolins

I have to agree with bouzoukiboy - I think those OM's are overpriced, and fwiw, not even close to the price range you specified in the OP. The only Weber OM that you might find in your range would...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Re-do mandolin fretboard, or continue on?

It's my observation and experience that all builders and repairfolk make mistakes and/or accidentally mess things up. It seems to me that the good ones a)know they've messed up -- and b)know they...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Gourd Mandolin Tips

I have a gourd backed mando-- well, it has 4 strings not 8, but it's tuned in fifths and it's sold as a "gourdolin". It actually sounds pretty good. And the design is very clever.

Essentially,...
  17. Replies
    Views

and the back...

and the back...
  18. Replies
    Views

Plenty of that around here already!...

Plenty of that around here already! #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif
    And nothing wrong with it either... heck, some of my best friends are FBOGWM's !!...
  19. Replies
    Views

There's a fine line between appreciating women...

There's a fine line between appreciating women and objectifying. I'm glad there seems to be interest in keeping this on the appreciation side.
    KE