Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Willie Nelson’s Bluegrass Album

I'm a huge Willie fan but haven't gotten a chance to check out his new one yet.

Willie has an album called Country Music that has some good acoustic stuff in the bluegrass/Americana vibe. I always...
  2. Re: Interesting effects on West Dakota Rose intro

I think it is some sort of delay/filter device. reminds me a little of the Earthquaker Devices Rainbow Machine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRtm8GaarLA
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Song Breakdown: Swing 42

Love this tune. Definitly a gateway Django/swing tune. My Django band does several numbered Django tunes together. Swing 39, Swing 42, Swing 48. Need to get 41 worked up.
  4. Re: Speaker size for 4-string emando amplifier

I use a large speaker, 15", when I play my electrics. I think it helps tame the high end.

An old Peavey Nashville 400 is my main amp currently. I primarily use this amp with a funk/jazz band that...
  5. Replies
    Views

Billy Strings The Deja Vu Experiment

Billy is doing a six night live stream event at the Cap Theater in honor of the Grateful Dead’s Tun there 50 years ago. The first night, tonight, and last night will be steam free on the Relix Twitch...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Where to start with Jazz Mandolin?

Great thread. Lots of tunes to check out.

I think of playing jazz like punk. It's an attitude, the way you approach the song. Some of the tunes I list aren't jazz but I approach them with a jazz...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Sturgill Simpson Bluegrass Album

He did record an album with The Dap Kings, a horn section. "A Sailor's Guide to Earth" is really good as well. I love all of his projects so far. Had tickets to see him in Portland, OR earlier this...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: The Beatles - Blackbird on mandolin

Very nice
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Help with upgrade, please

Howdy,

Fellow SW Oregonian here. Hilltop is the best music store in the region that I have found since Cripple Creek closed. I have tried some mando's there, good varied selection for the area....
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Wheel Hoss - Bill Monroe

Grooving, I love it!
  11. Re: Play with backup tracks, sing with mp3s. Looking for new sour

The Rhythm Future Quartet has some gypsy swing backing tracks that I discovered a couple weeks ago. Fun stuff. Features occasional Cafe contributor Jason Anick.

Rhythm Future Play Along Tracks
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Phish - Waste

I never tabbed it out. I figured out the basic chords on guitar years ago and just play them on the mandolin. To me, the mandolin register fills in the the higher intro licks and sounds pretty good....
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Weldon Lister Tailpiece on Collings

Very nice. The details are exquisite. As are many of his pieces.

I have an engraved pocket knife by his father (also my great-uncle) Bill Lister. Big Bill Lister was a very tall man known as the...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: JazzMando website to sunset soon

Thanks for everything Ted. MandolinCafe and JazzMando are the two heavyweights of online mandolin discussion for me.