Search:

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Any Penny Whistle Players here

Yankees1- In case it hasn't been mentioned above,I'd strongly advise you to learn to read sheet music if you don't know already. It may look daunting but it's really not hard at all, and it will give...
  2. Replies
    Views

Amazed every time

About twenty years ago, a well respected luthier told me that virtually every fretted instrument, new or used, would benefit from a fret level and crown. He would not do a set up without doing this...
  3. Unexpected But Highly Anticipated NMD: Sorensen FX “Dark Shark”

Hey guys,
    Longtime lurker here. I’m a Southern California picker of average ability who came back to mandolins a few years ago, after a long absence during which I mostly played electric bass....
  4. Replies
    Views

Jacobson Carbon Fiber Mandolin Prototype

Hello everyone. Here's a prototype carbon fiber mandolin I just finished. I think it came out great, considering I have no idea what I am doing when it comes to composites. There are some obvious...
  5. Replies
    Views

More gzoukis....

Been playing around with the camera...this is the latest "top of the range" guitar bouzouki.

http://i398.photobucket.com/albums/pp65/NigelForster/Guitar%20bouzouki-10_zpsazlwgxws.jpg
  6. Re: Yup, Gibson made at least one of everything.

I think neckties in machine shops became less fashionable once power tools were invented.............long pause.................and workers got pulled face-first into table saws, bandsaws, planers,...
  7. Re: What album comes to mind when you read "Irish Bouzouki"?

I turn immediately to Sweeney's Men.
  8. Replies
    Views

Muscle Shoals

According to The Bluegrass Situation, the second Muscle Shoals studio, 3614 Jackson Highway, has now been restored and has been named the #1 tourist spot in the Alabama for 2017.
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Andy Tobin Bouzoukis

Hi Guys and Gals. Was just talking to the man himself, Andy Tobin that is, just in case you were thinking of paying an unannounced visit to his workshop, he has just moved back to Herefordshire in...
  10. Replies
    Views

Irish Bouzouki Documentary

Hi there folks. I'm not sure if this video appeared on the cafe before. Its a documentary made by an Irish TV Station about the Irish Bouzouki. It features the bouzouki greats, Lunny, Irvine and Finn...
  11. Replies
    Views

mandocello case uses

My beagle, Rusty, has shown little or no interest in my musical instruments—until I acquired a 1911 K-2 that came with a case (not sure it's original, but it's nice). As soon as I opened it, he...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Yet another Thomastik thread...

I suppose they only come with loop ends? My Buchanan has a pin bridge which would shorten the length needed.
  13. Thread: Alive Inside

by DHopkins
    Replies
    Views

Re: Alive Inside

Our group was playing a small party at a local nursing home recently. One of the attendees was a 93-year-old woman with severe arthritis. She could hardly move. When we played, she raised her head...
  14. Thread: Alive Inside

by Wesley
    Replies
    Views

One of my favorite experiences was playing at a nursing home and watching a 90+ lady get up in her walker and dance while we played the Folsom Prison Blues. It doesn't get any better than that.
  15. Replies
    Views

I play maybe 100 seniors' residences annually, and can testify to the fact that familiar music can reach people who seem otherwise unresponsive. I look at the audience and see lips moving along with...
  16. Replies
    Views

Alive Inside

There is no mandolin content here, but anyone with an appreciation of the power of music is likely to be touched by this movie. Just watched it on Netflix last night and highly recommend it. Here's a...
  17. Thread: Jesse McReynolds

by CarlM
    Replies
    Views

Re: Jesse McReynolds

Doc played up till shortly before he died. He lost some after his cancer surgery but still played better than I ever will. The music was part of who he was. People say he played for fun.

Earl...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Tool for filing nut slots

You need to round the edge of feeler gauges to get rounded slot. It's easy to do and they DO work nicely. Sharpening them is easy, too. You can put hem in a vice and cut tiny teeth in all gauges at...
  19. The photos of the manufacture of my mandolin with a carbon body

You could see, in a previous post that I made myself another mandolin ...

It is therefore the history of this gestation which I propose to you here.

Just a detail ! I am French and not...
  20. Replies
    Views

Andy Irvine pics found on the web

Thought some folks might enjoy these obviously early pics of Andy with guitarra and with Planxty - looks like Johnny Moynihan on bouzouki.

21. Re: Norman Blake's Instruments up for sale at Carter Vintage

Nancy finally figured out how many he had.
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Neck joint question.

When buying an instrument, it is hard to tell how good the joint is.
    For a glue joint to be strong, the most important things are good design, good surface preparation, and good fit. If the design...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Andy Tobin Bouzoukis

Great post John, and welcome to the Cafe. Back when I was dabbling with Citterns/Bouzoukis etc, both Foley and Tobins caught my eyes in a big way. Both seemed to share some of the same aesthetic...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Found a local mandolin luthier

The woods are beautiful. Exciting build. Can't wait to hear your comments on its sound when finished.
    Best to you.:)
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Is this bridge/saddle height too much?

What is the height above top at center? If it is not over 7/8" I'd consider it OK as is (provided there are enough threads in the base as well as in the saddle part). Above this I'd try tall boy...
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4