Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Wernick Camp/Gilbert Nelson

The Wernick jam camps are for all bluegrass instruments. I’ve attended 3 or 4 of them. They are great for advanced beginner to low intermediate level players who want to learn how to play with...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Wernick Camp/Gilbert Nelson

Gilbert used to live near us and we went to a jam at his home with a neighbor that was in a jam group of his some years ago. Honestly I think there might be be better uses of your time. I was not...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: First build with James Condino

Both of these folks live locally, so we work on it as needed. I try to make time for students, but there is no way I can give up ten days. Folks from out of town usually accomplish the top plate...
  4. Thread: JT Picks

by Rick Jones
    Replies
    Views

Re: JT Picks

JT's Pix has presence on both Facebook and Instagram - but the most recent posts there date back to early 2021, so might be no longer active.
  5. Thread: JT Picks

by MikeEdgerton
    Replies
    Views

The guy that made them was a member of the Cafe back in 2015 when I bought my sample packs. The website he had listed then no longer works. I'm assuming it's the same guy making them. You could try...
  6. Thread: JT Picks

by TheMandoKit
    Replies
    Views

Banjo Ben's store seems to have them in different shapes & materials.
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: The Traveling Pick Sampler - Anyone Interested?

Thanks to all for the patience I forced upon you, but at least the interminable wait is over! Both pick samplers have been checked and are ready to ship out. I've seen a dozen attempts by various...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Slow down software

ASD does open and play the sound from mp4s. ASD also has the ability to set loops at one speed and then increase speed by a percent after one more more loops. I started using it to work on playing up...
  9. Thread: Thumb Pain

by lowtone2
    Replies
    Views

Re: Thumb Pain

Mine is basal joint arthritis. It's the most common arthritis in the hand. Nothing much can be done. I wear a brace, which helps a little, and ice often after playing.

10. Replies
    Views

Re: Which Budget Fingerstyle Guitar?

Many of us here might have got started on a Yamaha guitar, I should think.

It was great value back then, and I think probably still is today. Good choice.
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Which Budget Fingerstyle Guitar?

Yamaha is a great choice. Enjoy it!
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Problem E strings

I would play around with strings. Without having the instrument in hand it’s hard to make recommendations. From my experience instruments are overdriven more often than underdriven when someone’s...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Problem E strings

First thing I would do is to check the fit of the bridge to the top. It must be as close to perfect as you can get it. If that does not change any thing you can make changes to the treble by using...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Best Online Sites For Learning

I don’t know of any OM series, but David Surette and Robin Bullock are great players who often teach at festivals. So, they might also give Skype lessons. Surette’s website is pretty sparse, but it...
  15. Replies
    Views

Heads up for you Mandolinists with Cats

This has minimal mandolin content, but I have noticed that there seem to be a fair number of people here who share their homes with cats (ie. pages and pages of cats sitting in cases :)), cats in...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Thomastik-Infeld Strings

No, they do not. You would have to buy a custom set, emando.com has a set that is nice. A great alternative is to buy d'addario flatwound chrome steel single guitar strings in the gauges you need. ...
  17. Replies
    Views

Thomastik mittels:
    .010 015 .021 .033 (guage)

17.4 15.4 15.4 15.4 (pounds)
  18. Replies
    Views

I believe the TI "Stark" (Hard) strings at .011 - .034 gauge are considered more or less equivalent to D'Addario or GHS medium strings which run .011 - .040 gauge.

I ran TI flatwound Starks on my...
  19. Carlo Aonzo's The Migrating Mandolin - I Viaggi del Mandolino

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6h4qxK12leo
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: APC/Carvahlo or Trinity College Octave?

I hate you already:)) i’m sure it will be a blast ! Can’t wait to see your evaluation when you’ve had a chance to stop playing it long enough to write one.

Garry
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: APC/Carvahlo or Trinity College Octave?

I looked at Trinity College for an octave mandolin back in the early 2000’s, but ended up going with the Johnson MA 515 which ended up being more like a good looking block of wood with strings. So,...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Darkening Finish After Tru Oil

Peter's right. However, two things:
    - you can never apply too many coats of tru-oil
    - people in general seem to put up with much worse dye jobs than what is "good practice"

So maybe put some...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Darkening Finish After Tru Oil

Mmm, probably a bit late to think about that now. Would be quite difficult to get an even colour now with dye without starting over. However, very likely to will darken with age and exposure to...
  24. Replies
    Views

Some new backing tracks

Hi, everybody. I started a blog when I was preparing for some flatpick and mandolin contests years ago, to share the tools I was using to practice. I recorded a lot of backing tracks to practice...
  25. Re: Mando Tone Experiment (picks/strings) with YouTube video

Thanks for listening and yes, that is basically my conclusion.....and yes, in person the difference is drastic but on the recorded sound it's not as apparent. But again, I'm using very good mic's,...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3