Search:

Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin misunderstanding by young folk

The Victorian era ended in 1901. In that time, they also recommended cigarettes for asthma, chloroform for hiccups, cocaine for toothaches, and strychnine as a nice energy booster.

"I am...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin misunderstanding by young folk

Imagine someone shredding on his eight-string in front of a crowd when suddenly one breaks. There are only seven now. The crowd starts screaming.

"What the hell is that?!" wails an old bluegrass...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin Gender

May I humbly remark that, when using other languages for comparison, one should be careful not to confuse grammatical and natural gender; they are not necessarily identical. A number of grammatically...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin Gender

In most languages it is feminine.

In Spanish it's feminine - la mandolina
    In French it's feminine - la mandoline
    in German it's feminine - die mandoline
    in Dutch it's feminine
    In Russian it's...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Suggestions for a wedding march

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8mtXwtapX4

^^^

About 15 years ago I got asked to play the music for the wedding of my wife's friend. She really loved the melody of the above song but the...
  6. Replies
    Views

Big news from Gibson!

I'd get one just for the day pass!
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: The Gibson Factory in Kalamazoo

Thanks,enjoyed the videos.

Adam
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: The Gibson Factory in Kalamazoo

Interesting. That hand shaper for the neck was like one I worked with raising door panels, friction clamped knife head, not for an unskilled hand or the faint of heart. And the lack of respirators...
  9. Well done, legit, full band bluegrass backing tracks

This is mainly a guitar page, but he has recorded several very good bluegrass backing tracks.
    https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLIkRWuEjn3VK6hdmRrovJdCKX5r7UlEz_&si=v1yDUZHB0CXGOcYE
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Thoughts on keys.

Tune in question: https://youtu.be/1Ys1Ewa555s?si=u-OKbIC11lI-FLyn
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Thoughts on keys.

Yes I get confused on up down in out left right these days, it’s pretty neat
  12. Re: Most tunes I post to YouTube are 65+ years old

When I was young, people would ask what kind of music I played? I would say "contemporary music."

Now, they ask and I say "oldies." Of course, they are the same songs I've played since the 60's!...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Happy Birthday Mike Compton!!

Wishing him the best birthday from probably the worst student he ever had.
  14. Thread: HOG SOL on SGW

by CarlM
    Replies
    Views

Re: HOG SOL on SGW

To take this even further off the beaten path, a friend of mine whose last name is Wolf worked with a number of Mexicans on a landscaping crew who referred to him as Seņor El Lobo. So it seems in...
  15. Replies
    Views

Agree with jb, failed or unfulfilled love inspires more of my songwriting than happiness -- because when you're happy, you're too busy having fun to write a song. :cool:

I've introduced songs from...
  16. Replies
    Views

Got my ebay Strad-O-Lin today and although the case, alas, doesn’t fit my 2-point SOL (the impetus for bidding), the new mandolin is a nice one. As such, my SAS has quieted slightly and I’ll not be...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: New Mandolin Cafe Hat

FYI, we are not the authors of this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8MD4HbKYK8
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: New Mandolin Cafe Hat

We'd entertain a batch of khaki in the same unstructured style, just because it's a popular color. Those probably won't get here until we're closer to selling out the black ones which are about 60%...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: listing of rock songs w/mando

Great song. Sexton is Dylan and Costello's lead player. A true master of the guitar. That song Sunday Clothes is from circa 1995 on his brilliant solo record Under The Wishing Tree.

"We were...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: playing late and drinking

Bren, yes mate I posted after a "bad" night in the local pub back room with just myself and a concertina player. Felt a bit depressed until I got back home, a few more drinks on a Winter's night sat...
  21. Replies
    Views

My reaction to OP's post was that it was about playing in informal pub sessions or festival jams, rather than paid gigs.
    Since he is in UK, and that's the way it is over here. Often in a pub you can...
  22. Replies
    Views

I think Robert Craft said, All things in moderation, and moderation's the first thing to go.
  23. Replies
    Views

Still, you have to remember that some people take moderation to extremes.;)
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: stolen guitar back after 54 years

I began playing the electric bass guitar in 1966 and in all that time I’ve heard, I’m sure, nearly all the assertions of what the instrument “should” be called. Terms go in and out of fashion, so...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: What is or was this?

I just noticed it says "Gibson" not "The Gibson." Not that it is either...:))
Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4