Search:

Page 1 of 36 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Church Praise Band Question

This thread reminds me of something I’d not thought of in many years. My wife and I got married very young and I started attending her church. I was 20 and had been playing (owning, really) guitar...
  2. Replies
    Views

Very interesting thread. I too play mandolin on a church worship band, but also tenor guitar. The band is definitely organized as a rock ensemble, both by choice of the church leadership and the...
  3. Replies
    Views

If it were me (and I don't go to church so take this for what it's worth), I wouldn't send a note like that. The music leader probably has enough on his plate, and you might not want to make him...
  4. Replies
    Views

Sorry to chime in so late, but I just saw this. Your circumstance is exactly what happened to me, and here's how it went. I was "drafted" to play in the church's "Bluegrass Sundays" gospel band. ...
  5. Replies
    Views

I don’t think there’s a thing in the world wrong with that note. You were polite and to the point. If he doesn’t like it, it can’t be helped. Part of stepping up into leadership is being placed in...
  6. Replies
    Views

If it were me... I would also include a thank you for letting you sit in with the team - you thought it went really well, did he have a chance to hear you play, his impressions, etc? I would also...
  7. Replies
    Views

Maybe instead of, “In that case,” you could state, “Once I can understand your perspective, I won’t ask again.” The English major in me is thinking, “Make him tell you why it’s really a ‘no.’” Pin...
  8. Replies
    Views

This ^^^^^ I'm not a great mandolin player but find myself frequently having to 'sell' worship leaders on the idea that I have something to offer on mandolin. If it's any comfort, I also play...
  9. Replies
    Views

Might be time to get a bowlback mandolin to help break your folks out of stereotypes of what a mandolin looks like, sounds like or plays like.

And I'll bet you'll enjoy it yourself!

Mick
  10. Replies
    Views

This super funny (the other funny) story actually shows several possible facts.
    - How limited can one be to believe certain instruments are limited to certain styles (has the praise band guy never...
  11. Replies
    Views

I've read this thread with interest. The church we've attended for many years has a pretty firm "core competency" (to use business terms) for its musical style. I have tried at times to insert...
  12. Replies
    Views

I’ve sat in with a worship team a few times on mandolin. I will echo the sentiment that the music director/leader possibly lacks imagination here.

I don’t chop or play bluegrass or even play...
  13. Replies
    Views

FD, I played in a couple of praise teams for several years, not to mention choirs, brass quintets, and even full orchestras in churches. (I don't do that anymore, and haven't for just over 10 years.)...
  14. Replies
    Views

When I was attending a Southern California mega church the contemporary praise band was acoustic guitar, electric guitar, bass guitar, piano, drums, lead male singer, lead female singer, backup male...
  15. Replies
    Views

Sherry, I think the mandolin fits perfectly with most gospel songs. I would ask if you can sit it during the practices and maybe they will see how nicely a mandolin fits in.
    Just my 2 cents.
  16. Replies
    Views

It's standard procedure only for people who lack imagination.

Mandolin pops up from time to time on "worship" recordings that definitely aren't bluegrass, so the excuse they've given you is crap....
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Back and Forth Between A7 and D, D7 Chords

I normally play 3-string, or even 2-string chords.

A D-chord that I like is 7-4-0-x

In this situation , i might play:

A7 - 6-5-0-0 (or x)
    D - 7-4-0-x
    A7 - 6-5-0-0 (or x)
    D7 - 5-4-0-x
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Jam Etiquette re: Playing Mandolin Chords

I don't think it matters. Several teachers I've had were very direct about chopping only and on being very accurate on playing the correct chords at the correct time and timing of the chops. So, ...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Music Library for Samsung Tablet???

I have a Samsung Tab S6 Lite (dims: 244.5 x 154.3 x 7 mm or 9.63 x 6.07 x 0.28 in) and it fits well on an Amazon Basics Adjustable Tablet Holder.
  20. Replies
    Views

Check SongbookPro for Android. I use the Apple version on iPad and find it easy once you get setup. You can connect directly to Echords & Ultimate Guitar through Google Drive and download. You can...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Seller’s Remorse - 2008 custom Weber Fern

wow, amazing turn of events with all this.
    well, i'll be the dark side advocate. it all sounds very romantic and with promise...........but, there's a lot that could have happened to that mando in...
  22. Replies
    Views

If you go to Amazon or Google and search 'music tablet stand' you will get hits. I have not tried the apps mentioned but I think I would struggle with small screen size
  23. Replies
    Views

I use SetListMaker on my Samsung tablet. Once you get the hang of it, it works very well. Pretty easy to import lyrics, you can add chords into the song if necessary. One neat thing and probably lots...
  24. Replies
    Views

On my Samsung large tablet, I use Music Sheets Pro for sheet music.

https://www.zubersoft.com/mobilesheets/

Maybe this is something that could help.
  25. Re: Seller’s Remorse - 2008 custom Weber Fern

Updates for ya'....

I am in direct contact the buyer who, despite having what sounds like a few life-ridden years (join the club), is in good spirits and health. This is an amazing development...
Page 1 of 36 1 2 3 4